Following the Herds - Mkomazi, Tarangire, Serengeti and Manyara Ranch Conservancy - February 2015

Safaridude

@@Safaridude - finally, finally caught up with this one! Am I imagining it or did you experiment quite a lot (and very successfully too) with light & shadows on this trip? In almost all the images, that's what really stood out for me. All kinds of light - night, dawn, dusk, dusty, filtered, misty, pure - just a wonderful series of moods you've evoked with the lighting. Loved your distant ridge shots too.

How was the Loliondo area without the big herds? Worth the detour? The Nomad camps always hit the spot, but what did you think about the surroundings generally?

@@Sangeeta

Thank you.

I have always liked to experiment with my photographs… love to fool around with flash, blur and things. I just think I had more opportunities on this trip. This trip to Tanzania and my trip with @@Game Warden to Zimbabwe last year stand out as having been blessed with interesting light conditions.

Southern Loliondo and the Gol Mountains to its south are unbeatable for scenery. When it's green, it's better, no doubt, and probably the best place to see the migration. When not green, the landscape is lunar (the wildebeests won't be around but there are plenty of gazelles for cheetahs to prey on). Until a few years ago, southern Loliondo was pumping with cheetah. Not so great as of late, I hear, but I think it is just ebb and flow. If one is doing an extended trip to Serengeti during the rainy season, I would definitely include it.