michael-ibk

Agreed, sensational Wild Cat series! Super!

Correction on photo #12 in post #122: the running animals are of course springboks, not steenboks!

Peter Connan

Stunning photos of wonderful sightings Alex! The pouncing cat is indeed one that needs to go on a wall!

All the kudos goes to Zvezda! We knew it was about the snake but have clearly saw it only when enlarging the photo! Anybody knew what kind of a snake it is? Also, please ID the bird which I named xyz Chat . Thanks!

A wonderful series of photos in particular the WIld Cat - excellent!

Peter Connan

All the kudos goes to Zvezda! We knew it was about the snake but have clearly saw it only when enlarging the photo! Anybody knew what kind of a snake it is? Also, please ID the bird which I named xyz Chat . Thanks!

@@xelas, the snake is a young Puff Adder.

I think the bird is a Marico Flycatcher?

Edited by Peter Connan

It was 11:00 o'clock and most of the cars have returned to their respective lodges, to have a lunch break. Not us. Reason #1: we wanted to squeeze every minute out of our Kgalagadi time. Reason #2: there was nothing for lunch. We made our pit stop at Kamqua picnic site, where those that were not returning to camps were making good use of braai area. Most of the wildlife have found some deep shadow, and usually the harsh midday light prevents taking a good photo. Below one proves that also in such light a pleasant photo can be done.

Namaqua Doves having a siesta

post-47185-0-20385600-1434474765_thumb.jpg

Dimensions 1001 x 667 File name 20150425_121808 D71_1728A.JPG File size 219.39K Camera NIKON D7100 Lens AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED Focal Length 420mm Exposure 1/1250 F Number f/6.3 ISO 360

*** some of the photos, although uploaded correctly, are automatically resized/compressed and their EXIF data are lost. Above is such photo. I have tried several times to no avail. That's why I have added exif data ***

Next bird was a surprise as until this day we have seen kingfishers solely next to a running water.

Stripped Kingfisher

post-47185-0-55781000-1434473798_thumb.jpg

Giraffe was reintroduced to Kgalagadi back in 1991. A herd of 8 animals were translocated from Etosha, and they live in a fenced boma for a couple of years. They do well, and when the number rise to 18, the boma was dismantled and since then, giraffe roams freely along the Auob riverbed, between Craig Lockhart and Kamqua, gaining in numbers.

Giraffe Camelopardalis, take 2

post-47185-0-66093300-1434473806_thumb.jpg

Springbok is the most numerous animal in Kgalagadi. The size of some herds was quite big. They can come close to the cars so noy always a long lens is not always needed to take photos of them.

Springbok portrait

post-47185-0-44744800-1434473812_thumb.jpg

Three waterholes have a detour roads: Dalkeith, Veertiende Boorgat and Dertiende Boorgat. Depending on the sun position, you do or you do not use those detour roads. This peaceful photo was taken at Dalkeith waterhole.

post-47185-0-34880400-1434473819_thumb.jpg

When I was still a very young boy, my parents gave me a nature book by Walt Disney (at least his name was on the front cover) where I read, and remembered, that some antelopes uses the hair on their backs as a alarm signal. Just like the one below. But that was many many moons ago so I might be also wrong.

Springbok in "alarm" position

post-47185-0-95365300-1434473825_thumb.jpg

The rest of the gang seems undisturbed by the above feature.

post-47185-0-88397200-1434473832_thumb.jpg

The sun was setting down when we finally reached Craig Lockhart waterhole, and from there, only fast forward to the camp, in the caravan with all other cars in an attempt to reach the gates of the camps before it is (too) late. The evening's return to the camps, or the closing drives, and the morning's opening "mad dash" drives into the park is the least positive aspect of this park. As only 2 roads are connecting the 2 main camps (Mata Mata and Twee Riviera respectively) with the interior of the park, the number of the cars on the road at the same time was almost intimidating. For us, the solitude and the emptiness of the roads in Etosha was dearly missed. To be fair, from Nossob camp you can go either north or south so this inconvenience is less pronounced. But lets enjoy the tranquility of the moment.

post-47185-0-48282300-1434473838_thumb.jpg

Back at the camp, and while I was trying my best with the rice and the can, Zvezda captured some more nightscapes.

post-47185-0-17648300-1434473843_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-49844600-1434473846_thumb.jpg

@@xelas

What an amazing picture of the group of springbok eating and all facing in the same direction showing off their side-stripe

Peter Connan

A Kingfisher in the Kgalagadi, and some more wonderful sunsets!

Next time you come by, you will have to drop in for some braai lessons, this thing of rice and canned viennas just can't work... :D

@@Peter Connan

Yeah, i've been told the same by Zvezda on the second dinner .... luckily I still have 7 months to practise ...

@@TonyQ

Thanks! Certain photos needs to be seen multiple times to realise its potential; that is one of them.

Since we have this discussion, Zvezda has found the two receipts from my shopping in Keetsmanshoop (yes, the Treasurer also keeps all the receipts <_< ). Full disclosure: one day out of 6, we had full board, at !Xaus Lodge. And one evening we have had a dinner, at Twee Rivieren. A mutiny on board! Thank God for that :) !

post-47185-0-68975800-1434485440_thumb.jpg

P.S.: 4 kilos of rice were for the bean bag :rolleyes: !!

Wow, xelas....I just saw this, what an amazing trip, and fabulous pictures! I understand now why you liked Namibia so much, and now I have to go, too :)

I'll read this again, slower, to really enjoy it.

Since we have this discussion, Zvezda has found the two receipts from my shopping in Keetsmanshoop (yes, the Treasurer also keeps all the receipts <_< ). Full disclosure: one day out of 6, we had full board, at !Xaus Lodge. And one evening we have had a dinner, at Twee Rivieren. A mutiny on board! Thank God for that :) !

attachicon.gifIMG_3139_01.JPG

And you asked me for our shopping list were you trying to make Zvezda cry? :(:) Edited by penolva

@@penolva

No, she knows me and my shopping habits too well :rolleyes: ! Next visit to Kgalagadi the "rice & can" would not work, so that is why yours was needed. Not that I will not cut it in half .... :D

Red Squirrel

Wonderful trip report and fantastic photos. You do need to learn how to Braai it just makes the experience. practice at home on a weber!

@@Red Squirrel

How did you know my wife has a Weber :huh: ?! Thanks for your kind words about report and photos. And yes, next trip knowing how to operate the braai will be mandatory :D .

I fell a few pages behind over the past few days - luckily, the catching up has been enjoyable this morning.

I honestly think that your wildcat photos are the best I've ever seen of the species, be it on Safaritalk or elsewhere. Just amazing!

The array of springbok in the "rest of the gang" photo produces an almost dizzying effect, with their identical posture and pattern.

Peter Connan

Well said @@Marks!

Apr 26th - Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park / Nossob Camp

Today we were moving from KTC to Nossob Camp. So we packed all our food back in the fridge on the car, and off we go, very early. Not the first one, and luckily so, as close to the Sitsas waterhole there were already cars aligned along the riverbed side of the road. As we approached we haven't noticed (again) nothing special so I asked one driver what is going on. "Lions" she said and waved her hand in the general direction of a larger tree on the other side of the riverbed. Indeed we have seen something that looks like two potato sacks fallen off the truck and lying motionless. But we were already experienced trackers so we knew the Rule #1: Patience!

About 20 minutes later we have witnessed our first ever live lion's mating! Here it is, condensed into 10 pictures.

Disclaimer no.1: be aware that on some TV channels outside of Europe a PG sign would be used :o

Disclaimer no.2: I did prepare a series of subtitles/comments but were all censored :ph34r:

Disclaimer no.3: IQ is low due to heavy cropping involved :(

post-47185-0-17139600-1434558289_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-14412700-1434558295_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-87884500-1434558300_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-25672900-1434558307_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-74366600-1434558312_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-72491300-1434558318_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-73980000-1434558326_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-68923400-1434558332_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-90536700-1434558338_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-15365500-1434558345_thumb.jpg

A pictures is better than 1000 words, but your 10 pictures...wow!

attachicon.gifIMG_3139_01.JPG

@@xelas my bill in pick'n'pay was more than 10 times that much. And we bought our fruit/veg/meat in a different shop :wacko:

@@Tdgraves

I was about to ask you for your grocery list also, if you don't mind send it to me via PM.

No probs @@xelas also recipes, as it depends on what you are going to cook.....

Just catching up on here so have read all posts and wowed at the pictures. Having loved them all and especially some of Zvezdana's exceptional landscapes I will only comment on the African Wildcat. The ancestor of the domestic moggie and I far prefer the prototype model. Really great action shot and I concur with the Marico Flycatcher and Viper.

More please.

@@Tdgraves

I was about to ask you for your grocery list also, if you don't mind send it to me via PM.

@@Tdgraves don't bother sending your list he starves his poor partner on safari however hard we try to help :) perhaps she will braai next time?