Another bloody safari - Mara and Ol Pejeta October 2015

pault

Beautiful shots. My first thought at seeing the two white rhinos coming together (with all that dust) was that the following shot was going to be two rhino's tussling.

And lion moon - wow!

Hm ... So not only would there have been space enough for all of us but food as well. Obviously, subconsciously you desperately wanted company. ;)

Love the Hyena and that last lion shot.

Is that lion shot for real? Stunning. Also love the rhino and mountain. Can't wait to go, thanks for all the detail about the house. Pen

Beautiful shots. My first thought at seeing the two white rhinos coming together (with all that dust) was that the following shot was going to be two rhino's tussling.

And lion moon - wow!

The tussle was more of a dance - not really a fair tussle as one has a serious horn advantage.

Hm ... So not only would there have been space enough for all of us but food as well. Obviously, subconsciously you desperately wanted company. ;)

Love the Hyena and that last lion shot.

@@michael-ibk If you are in eastern Austria at the beginning of June we'll make it up to you.

Is that lion shot for real? Stunning. Also love the rhino and mountain. Can't wait to go, thanks for all the detail about the house. Pen

Well the lion shot is sort of for real. It is two photos with different focal points and different exposures blended into one.

And lion moon - wow!

This was my thought, as well; it looked like they were on a collision course.

Great stuff.

So you are getting used to having your own personal staff....

Excellent photos - my particular favourites are the rhino eating with the 3 little yellow birds, and the hyena (about to be sick?)

Add me to the list of fans of that lion/moon photo. Nicely done. Lightroom HDR?

I continue thoroughly to enjoy this engaging report!

Edited by Alexander33

Wow, of the many reports that I've enjoyed on this site I cannot recall one that has more interesting, varied and technically excellent photos. What a treat. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to have a very small operation and then to arrange some family visits to and fro, so have barely been around.

~ @@pault

Your recovery has gone well?

Don't know if this season is or isn't a holiday time where you live.

Where I'm at, the combination of reduced daylight, colder temperatures and increased commercial activity seems to slow everything down.

Hope that you're feeling great!

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

To 191, the cut short photo. Great use of that photo from the waterbuck perspective, which is cut short.

The spotted baby rhino in the rain is a dappled adorable! How many people have warthog and hyena shots? Then I liked those warthogs at work with dirt flying.

• 2 weeks later...

That lion in the moonlight could have a whole story or a series built upon it. It is fairy tale and mystery combined!

• 2 weeks later...

You can't miss this one, even if it's another of the "boring ones".

And I am not swearing in the topic title... honest! You'll see. :)

I regretfully announce I am going to start this report about a third of the way through the trip. I would like to give you a better reason but the simple truth is that my wife wants the photos from the Mara quickish, and I live to please. So Ol Pejeta will have to wait.

Well, well, well... The Earth keeps turning even when I am not visiting SafariTalk.net. How terribly late I am for this excellent TR of yours (as usual and I mean the report, not me being late). Appreciate very much the aerials at the beginning. Fabulous writing and photography, as always. The good thing is that I have plenty to read when I have more time, instead of waiting impatiently for the next installment.

Edited by FlyTraveler

@@pault

Just a quick word to say that the report is wonderful and the photographs are exceptional. The ones of the eagle, the cub hiding between its mother's legs ..all great

shall continue reading

Oh Pault

This is a fantastic trip report, well written, and so many excellent pictures. I have enjoyed it immensely to read. Great work :)

That lion moon shot was incredible, and as Lynn said, worthy of a whole separate story or series of stories. Didn't we have a fiction thread on ST some years ago? We should revive it with this photo which would make such a great book cover.

Super job, as always, Paul! Thank you for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, now I want to go to (boring) Kenya!

I'm never going to get this next trip planned for September if I keep changing destination :P

I blame you now @@pault :-)

Ugh, now I want to go to (boring) Kenya!

I'm never going to get this next trip planned for September if I keep changing destination :P

I blame you now @@pault :-)

Stop reading trip reports and just book! Then you can come back to reading for the next trip.

I was just paid back for recently referencing this bloody safari mishap in another thread. A wine bottle broke and attacked me at the store and I came home with a bloody canvas shopping bag, neck warmer (to stop the bleeding), and hand, all from a 1 cm cut. A little pumpkin soup would make it all better.

At least your injury was not dull or boring, @@pault!

Edited by Atravelynn

• 1 month later...
Game Warden

Just getting started in on this report, sorry I missed it when first posted.

@@pault Good grief! How did I miss this TR. I usually try and make sure I read your trip reports. They are always spectacular.

Game Warden

I read as far as post #38 then realised I had started reading it :)

Game Warden

Fantastic B&W images from Leopard Gorge and the zorilla! Amazing. Then the Aardvark...

Fantastic B&W images from Leopard Gorge and the zorilla! Amazing. Then the Aardvark...

~ @@Game Warden and @@pault

When the Zorilla image was first posted, I almost fell out of my chair!

I've returned to this thread several times to enjoy the photo.

Tom K.