The (wild) dog regurgitated my trip report - a SafariTalk Hong Kong-Italy Mara-Sundowner-get-together and other things

johnkok

@@johnkok

"...that's the moment that the buffer became completely full and the camera started to cough. And Jill's forceful language filled the air."

Bravo!

The cropped portrait.....mesmerizing.

How many people would be thrilled to have just that? (Of course, with your having gone to the trouble of lugging around a D4 and 800mm, I can understand your consternation!)

A captivating experience, regardless.

Fascinating to read (and see the process involved) but you did get a great picture with the 800mm lens - I imagine the depth of field is very thin with such a lens?

2/100 is even a good ratio. You got two winners. Pat yourself on the back!

Fascinating to read (and see the process involved) but you did get a great picture with the 800mm lens - I imagine the depth of field is very thin with such a lens?

@@TonyQ

Feels like it is woefully thin, painfully shallow, mercilessly fine :-)

The chase-scene shots above were at f8 and at a distance, and the DoF is narrow. At the closer distances (the portraits), the DoF is even shallower.

Edited by johnkok

• 1 month later...

I somehow missed this trip report. Unbelievable sequence of cheetah hunt photos. Do you plan to continue ;)?

@@bettel - Thanks for reading and leaving a note.

Do you plan to continue ;)?

I have to see a man about a dog first ... :P

We're heading off to Ndutu & Selous in two weeks.

Edited by johnkok

These photos are simply awesome. I feel that my own photos from my last safari in October were nothing in comparison. My own good news is that I'm bringing my camera with me on my coming safaris.

madaboutcheetah

@@johnkok - full report from that one, please - atleast the Selous portion :)

Have a great time!!!