Mana Pools Haikus - Wilddog, Blue Bird, Atravelynn

Atravelynn

You really do like your adaptors, do you? ;)All 3 of them!

Great stuff, like Marks said, fun absolutely! You never fail to come up with new and interesting formats. Well, that´s why you are "Mrs. Trip Report". :)

The birthday mobile looks great fun! Luckily for us, that elephant carcass had pretty much lost his odor when we arrived a few weeks later - that can´t have been too much fun. It was multi-sensory, but glad you safari lacked that aspect. Totally understand about the Guineafowl being a highlight, they are wonderful birds. And I really love your baboon pictures, they are very special there.

My favourite picture is that of the buffalo herd in the dust - a very powerful Image! From powerful beasts.

med_gallery_108_1373_15190.jpg

Road between Chitake and the Floodplain. Main Airstrip to Chitake without stops was 2 hours.

Drive near Kanga Pan

Rest and watch at Bejhan Pan

Finally baboons.

Late rains this season

Provide scattered ponds and pools

Also scatter game.

We reach the floodplain.

A leopard joins the party.

How nice you could come.

gallery_108_1373_248834.jpggallery_108_1373_990976.jpg

There is a leopard on the right side of the road.

gallery_108_1373_780878.jpg

Leopard sans party balloons

We have another

Reveler join in our fun

An ele greets Blue Bird.

Birthday Girl ignored

In favor of the back seat

Unmannerly chap.

med_gallery_108_1373_39313.jpg

After nodding to Blue Bird, tusks within inches, this guy checked out the back seat.

Termite mounds attract

Baboons for King of the Hill

In afternoon mist.

gallery_108_1373_245483.jpg

Within moments of arriving in the floodplain, this classic scene unfolded.

Winterthorn backdrop

Fauna bathed in dappled light

Filtered rays shine through.

Haiku Hiatus

The Winter Thorn trees that Mana Pools is so famous for are a different species from other acaias, precisely because they maintain their thorns through the winter months. Other names are Anna Tree or Apple ring.

gallery_108_1373_309078.jpg

gallery_108_1373_545314.jpg

Eland bull. We saw no eland herds.

gallery_108_1373_814205.jpg

Kudu

gallery_108_1373_348588.jpg

gallery_108_1373_999607.jpg

Waterbuck

gallery_108_1373_472110.jpg

Ethereal scenes

Spill across floodplain landscapes

Mana Pools magic.

gallery_108_1373_239985.jpg

gallery_108_1373_376887.jpg

med_gallery_108_1373_996537.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_657055.jpg

Trees, river, light, haze

In the perfect proportions

Surreal mosaic.

gallery_108_1373_237859.jpg

gallery_108_1373_67991.jpg

med_gallery_108_1373_774476.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_503638.jpg

Cormorant Marabou Stork

med_gallery_108_1373_587429.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_669584.jpg

gallery_108_1373_230184.jpg

med_gallery_108_1373_559971.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_13848.jpg

to be continued

Edited by Atravelynn

Eland bull so ripped

Massive neck and stony stare

How'd he get so pumped?

Haikus continue

But the story is still told

Incidents stand out

Just beautiful Lynn, especially like the king of the hill - and how lucky to see that Leopard.

Eland bull so ripped

Massive neck and stony stare

How'd he get so pumped?

Haikus continue

But the story is still told

Incidents stand out

Maybe we need a thread where you post a picture and others create a descriptive haiku, similar to "caption the photo," but in haiku form!

My 3rd grade teacher would be proud of me. That's where I learned about the haiku. Never thought at the time I'd be piecing them together to describe an Africa trip, or that I'd enter a contest to write a haiku about spicy mustard.

With Zambezi views,

Our Mucheni Number Four

Stands ready for us.

gallery_108_1373_276202.jpg

Mucheni #4 managed by Tailormade Safaris

Thank you Tailormade!

Another comfortable

Camp and fine cuisine.

med_gallery_108_1373_587732.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_156147.jpg

campfire at Mucheni #4 Blue Bird fishing at Mucheni #4

Party Leopard’s back.

Blue Bird unaware of rules,

Alone at campfire.

“Hello there handsome,”

Ms. Leopard purrs to Blue Bird.

“D’you come here often?”

Leopard eyes Blue Bird

There is no threat in her gaze

Shared space and moment.

Morning brings lions

Spied in the distant shadows.

We approach on foot.

Advance, wait, advance.

Some prides relax near humans.

This pride is wary.

We follow Doug’s lead

Stay low, maintain our distance.

Observe from afar.

Remains of their kill

Half eaten in the background.

Females sit panting.

gallery_108_1373_693007.jpg

Lions on kill, seen on foot - at Nyamepi

Male rests in open

Growling in our direction

We leave the pride be.

med_gallery_108_1373_650181.jpg

Male lion of pride of 7, seen on foot - at Nyamepi

Last night a leopard

Made a visit to Blue Bird

Today, elephant.

Passes by Blue Bird

The bar, and the “dining room”

Popular Blue Bird.

gallery_108_1373_774175.jpg

Mucheni #4

gallery_108_1373_539324.jpg

Sitting area of Mucheni #4

Elephants relax

In proximity to camp

Nursing calf and mom.

gallery_108_1373_1027411.jpg

Mother and calf viewed from my tent at Mucheni #4

gallery_108_1373_693108.jpg

gallery_108_1373_364093.jpg

med_gallery_108_1373_334004.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_444144.jpg

Viewed from my tent at Mucheni #4 Photo of Wilddog taking photos

Haiku Hiatus

I very much appreciated the ability to make two contacts home during my time in Mana Pools using Doug's satellite phone. Thanks again, Doug!! My husband always likes it when I can check in now and then.

Before tea, I arranged to use Doug's phone to make a very quick call home. I walked several steps away from our well shaded table to complete the call. After the call, as I walked back to join the group, something fell from the tree near my feet. It was a spotted bush snake. I was a mere 30 seconds and 3 feet from having a snake drop on me during my phone call home. While not afraid of snakes, I'm sure I would have been startled enough to scream and maybe drop the phone in the sand, cutting off our call. I can only imagine what dreaded thoughts would have raced through my husband's mind on the other end of all that commotion.

Fortunately the 30 seconds and 3 feet were in my favor and fortunately the snake seemed none the worse for wear after its ordeal. I even have a picture of this spotted bush snake after it climbed back to the safety of the tree branches, well camouflaged.

That was not the end of the snake encounters.

gallery_108_1373_876175.jpg

The body of a spotted bush snake can be seen in the tree.

Traditional scene

Doug points into golden haze

Nanny with children.

gallery_108_1373_657625.jpg

A traditional Zimbabwe scene: The uniformed nanny accompanies children who are on safari.

Mother elephant

Gently guides her stumbling calf

Wobbly on inclines.

gallery_108_1373_1109542.jpg

gallery_108_1373_1072557.jpg

@@Zim Girl, I wonder if this is the same little guy that fell into your tents?

gallery_108_1373_427936.jpg

gallery_108_1373_800676.jpg

Trunk in mama’s mouth

Afternoon walking

Lulled into comfortable pace

Abruptly Doug shouts!

Suddenly hearts race

“Get behind me!” Doug warns us.

We comply wide-eyed.

Black Mamba retreats

Into its termite mound home.

Darn it! We missed it.

Edited by Atravelynn

Only you would say "Black Mamba, darn, missed it." :)

Blue Bird seems to be quite the Leopard magnet. Could he come on safari with us?

Wow, some posh tents. You had shower and toilet? Luxury! :P

That Ele baby is very cute - and a bit clumsy as it seems.

These Spotted Bush Snakes seem to have a thing for Safaritalkers, as I can tell from (Chitake) experience.

Hi Lynn,

really enjoying your TR in this form. Beautiful, fascinating photos and as you know I love Baobabs!

Love the shadow-dappled eles (one syllable?? :P ) in post #27.

The "traditional Zimbabwe scene" photo is really nice, too.

I have to admit that I would not mind missing the mamba!

Loving the report, the poetry and photos! Mana Pools never seems to disappoint. @@michael-ibk I would be sad to miss seeing any snake too! And your tents did not have toilet and shower? Shall have to see what they looked like as you arrive to Chitake in your report shortly :D

Only you would say "Black Mamba, darn, missed it." :)From a distance, not interested in an up close and personal encounter with one.

Blue Bird seems to be quite the Leopard magnet. Could he come on safari with us?

Wow, some posh tents. You had shower and toilet? Luxury! :PAnd paper!

That Ele baby is very cute - and a bit clumsy as it seems.

These Spotted Bush Snakes seem to have a thing for Safaritalkers, as I can tell from (Chitake) experience. I'll look for your encounter in your report.

Hi Lynn,

really enjoying your TR in this form. Beautiful, fascinating photos and as you know I love Baobabs!

Then you had to have been in baobab heaven when you were there!

More lions on foot

They're at ease with our presence

Three cubs learn to trust.

Ground level lions

Another Mana Pools gift

Privileged perspective.

gallery_108_1373_496773.jpg

gallery_108_1373_346139.jpg

gallery_108_1373_58584.jpg

gallery_108_1373_884788.jpg

gallery_108_1373_802898.jpg

gallery_108_1373_954067.jpg

Wilddog viewing and photographing lion pride at ground level – at back of Long Pool

Haiku Hiatus

Footwear: Doug wore gaiters and his clients will receive a pair in Mana Pools as a gift. Blue Bird wore only sandals. Wild Dog wore boots and sturdy tennis shoes, sometimes with the gift gaiters. I wore boots and sturdy tennis shoes with gaiters I had brought from home, before getting the “Doug MacDonald’s Safari Gaiters.” I also wore Keens a time or two.

A thick sole is a good idea due to formidable thorns. One lodged in the bottom of my Keens but the sole was thick enough to prevent it from piercing my skin. It had to be removed from sole with a leatherman tool. Even Camp Manager Valentine could not pull it out with his bare hands.

Wild Dog told about a previous trip where the bottom of her foot had become fastened to her shoe by a thorn through the bottom. Like tacking something to a bulletin board. Ouch!

gallery_108_1373_463667.jpg

The types of footwear used

med_gallery_108_1373_61137.jpg

Size of the thorn embedded in my (fortunately thick) sole. I picked up more than one of these thorns.

Along with footwear is the topic of terrain. The floodplain was flat and easy to walk on.

When we drove to outlying areas to look for predators the terrain was often creviced mud,

which is more likely to turn an ankle.

gallery_108_1373_268820.jpg

Away from the floodplain, it was rougher underfoot

A second birthday

Celebrated on this trip

Happy Birthday, Doug!

gallery_108_1373_821481.jpg

Happy Birthday Wilddog and Doug

King Doug was bestowed

A royal scepter and crown.

And crowns for us all!

gallery_108_1373_5559576.jpg

King Doug – This is quite a promotion for Doug given that he was nicknamed “Dirty Doug”

in a previous report. (photo compliments of Wilddog)

gallery_108_1373_116989.jpg

Royalty (photo compliments of Wilddog)

Decked in crowns for drives

We caused many second takes

And some inquiries.

gallery_108_1373_992351.jpg

Using our crowns to save our seats.

Haiku Hiatus & Quote of the Trip

Camp manager Valentine and an assistant were with us on one of our drives. I'm not sure who among us was sporting one of the four crowns because we passed the crowns around. But with or without the royal headgear, we were all in comical character as royalty, observing the noblesse around us in the form a variety of animals.

We encountered hyenas. The pun was ripe for the taking, but it took Valentine to seize upon it. "And here we have our royal hyenas," pause, "our royal high e nas, our royal highness!"

Ha ha, clever quote of the trip.

gallery_108_1373_151181.jpg

One of the “royal hyenas,” Royal Highness

Nature’s hues and tones

A captivating montage

Pallet of the wild.

gallery_108_1373_127785.jpg

med_gallery_108_1373_844749.jpgmed_gallery_108_1373_915174.jpg

Berries that had been squashed Butterfly

gallery_108_1373_905693.jpg

to be continued

Edited by Atravelynn

King Doug - I´m sure he liked that a lot. You probably weirded out a lot of animals - and people - there. :)

Lovely group shot! I don´t know if it´s just me but the non-Haikus parts of your report are unfortunately overtaxing my I-Pad, everything appearing in a very weird format there (anybody having similar problems?), and even on the PC it´s to the exteme right with something like three letters in a row and the pics going with it absolutely tiny?!

Really love that Ele shot with his trunk up!

@@michael-ibk I would be sad to miss seeing any snake too! And your tents did not have toilet and shower? Shall have to see what they looked like as you arrive to Chitake in your report shortly :D

@@SafariChick

Well, as much as I would like to see a Mamba, I´d prefer to meet mine eventually in a "NOT-Get behind me!!!!" situation. :)

Wow, some posh tents. You had shower and toilet? Luxury! :PAnd paper!

Now that´s really overdoing it. ;)

@@Atravelynn

I am particularly enjoying the camp photos. They perfectly capture the essence of Mana… well, and for a genuine camping safari in Africa, really.

I don´t know if it´s just me but the non-Haikus parts of your report are unfortunately overtaxing my I-Pad, everything appearing in a very weird format there (anybody having similar problems?), and even on the PC it´s to the exteme right with something like three letters in a row and the pics going with it absolutely tiny?!

I only have read this report on my laptop - I have the same issue that the non-haiku text is on the extreme right. I like to make my text bigger, being of a certain age ha ha, but it helps if I make it smaller again by doing command and minus sign. Still, most non-haiku portions are on far right but have about 10 words per line. And the photos are a lot smaller than the other photos.

I've learned a formatting lesson, @Safari Chick and @@michael-ibk. The non-haiku stuff is indented to the middle of the page. That probably works fine on my 22-ish inch monitor, but probably not on smaller devices.

Haiku Hiatus

Our encounter with Boswell, a well known elephant who stands on his hind legs to rip the top branches from Winter Thorns, was scripted like a wildlife documentary. We drove through the floodplain looking for Boswell, covering all of his favorite spots. He was nowhere to be found. We had given up on finding this celebrity when Wild Dog hesitantly said, "Stop, I thought I glimpsed tusks on the other side of that mound.”

We stopped and she raised her binoculars. "It's Boswell!" she exclaimed. It was like finding a hidden treasure that we all could share.

That mound where Wilddog first saw him was between BBC camp and Trichelia.

The peak months to try to see Boswell and up to about 6 other elephants who stand on their hind legs are June and July when the seed pods first come out but have not naturally dropped to the ground yet.

gallery_108_1373_332530.jpg

Boswell, note that he is collared

gallery_108_1373_409998.jpg

Seedpod of the Winterthorn - the reward at the top of the tree, causing elephants to stand on their hind legs

Reaching, stretching up

Seeking seedpods at the top

Snatch the branch, break it.

Front legs off the ground

Trunk stretched straight up, balancing

Grasp the prize and pull.

gallery_108_1373_461516.jpggallery_108_1373_822348.jpg

gallery_108_1373_646010.jpg

Classic Mana Pools scene, including Boswell

gallery_108_1373_935104.jpg

It’s not only Boswell that “performs tricks.” This male also stood on his hind legs. The practice of shaking down the Winterthorns attracts a crowd that is hoping some tasty morsels fall their way.

gallery_108_1373_270031.jpg

Judging technique and hang time, we determined that this male had a longer browsing/hang time than famed Boswell, but that initial lift was more labored for him. Boswell ascended with less effort.

gallery_108_1373_30048.jpggallery_108_1373_850474.jpg

Side and rear views of the maneuver.

gallery_108_1373_316510.jpg

The windup

gallery_108_1373_461757.jpg

gallery_108_1373_422735.jpg

Demonstrating perfect form. This is not Boswell.

It was nice to see both the famous Boswell and a non-collared elephant “perform.”

Yellow billed stork pair

Crocodile opportunist

Red billed hornbill hunts

gallery_108_1373_385422.jpg

gallery_108_1373_337441.jpg

gallery_108_1373_378008.jpg

Red billed Hornbill – Mana Pools had experienced an uptick in Red billed Hornbills.

Shared adventure ends

Say good bye at Main Air Strip

Our paths now diverge.

Acquainted online

Became friends in Mana Pools

Our friendship remains.

Wilddog, Blue Bird, Doug

fly off to Gonarezhou.

Atravelynn stays.

med_gallery_108_1373_552013.jpg

One last floodplain treat

With Valentine at the wheel

Mana Pools game drive.

Impala stand still

All pointing one direction

To leopard and cub.

No time for photos

A moment’s pause and they’re gone

A memory made.

Sudden weather change

Temperature becomes cooler

With strong gusts of wind.

gallery_108_1373_346003.jpg

Note the extra layer needed at about 11:00, near the heat of the day. Sudden reduction in temperature.

Elephant lumbers

Through Mucheni Number 4

Then ambles away.

gallery_108_1392_497486.jpggallery_108_1392_812482.jpg

The delectable Winterthorn seedpods attract this elephant, who walks near me at Mucheni #4, as I wait for Natureways to pick me up for canoeing.

Doug MacDonald

It is hard to properly credit the skills and character of Doug MacDonald in 5-7-5 syllable lines, especially when his name alone has 4 syllables, leaving scant room for laudatory adjectives.

An example of his spotting skills: The leopard that joined “the party” was seen by Doug at the end of a very long day in which we had spent hours looking for buffalo that morning in Chitake and then driven for several more hours to Mana Pools, with a 1.5 hour stop at Bezhjan Pan near Kanga. We were all pretty tired upon reaching the floodplain, but good thing Doug stayed vigilant and spotted the leopard.

Ditto the vigilance for the Black Mamba we encountered on foot with no negative repercussions.

Late rains that resulted in wetter conditions than one might expect in late Aug/early Sept made us work harder for predators and Doug was up to the task. While no one in Mana Pools was able to locate the dogs during our stay (even famed wild dog researcher Dr. Greg Rasmussen was asking us where to look) we did spend time with two prides of lions on foot. Doug’s skill in positioning us and backing off when appropriate contributed greatly to the quality of our private and nearly private time with these prides.

Doug found cheetah tracks in Zebra Vlei and offered us the option of spending the day taking a gamble to try to locate them – or to spend the day in the floodplain. Nice to have choices and options.

In our elephant viewing on the floodplain, Doug was always hyper vigilant to what elephants were where and our position in relation to them, placing us in the perfect spot for elephant antics.

Through it all, he displayed a great sense of humor and wit (and style wearing the crown.)

No wonder Wilddog and Blue Bird have done numerous trips with Doug. I hope to join that group.

gallery_108_1373_228086.jpg

Left to right: Atravelynn, Doug, Blue Bird, Wilddog. We 3 seem to love our hats, even when the sun has set. (photo compliments of Blue Bird.)

gallery_108_1373_749552.jpg

The End

Edited by Atravelynn

The elephant is priceless mine could only manage one foot up, but then he is a desert elephant! Does that matter? Both are very special.

I'm hoping to find a desert ele this June and I don't even care what his/her feet are doing. I noticed your new avatar right away, @@penolva and was going to ask if it was Mana Pools. You cleared up the mystery.

Great "stand-up" scenes, Lynn, fantastic you found a second elephant doing it! And Amen to everything you said about Doug! Though I am a bit disappointed, I would have expected an "Ode to Doug" at least. Hell, even the adapter got one. ;)

Sad this report is already at its end, really enjoyed the unusual format and the beautiful photos - I never got stuff like that with the Powershot!. But looking forward to your canoe adventure, and very much hoping that @@wilddog and/or @@Blue Bird will tell us about their Gonarezhou stay!

Agree, Boswell and his colleague were superb subjects and you got great shots of them doing their thing! I too am sad the report is done, and hope you will also post about the canoe adventure and that @@wilddog and/or @@Blue Bird will report on Gonarezhou since we do not have many reports on either of those things.

I'm hoping to find a desert ele this June and I don't even care what his/her feet are doing. I noticed your new avatar right away, @@penolva and was going to ask if it was Mana Pools. You cleared up the mystery.

Look forward to hearing about the June trip Pen

Brilliant.elephants, great report

My only concern is why so short?

Actually it's fine, but I needed a rhyme.

Excellent - really enjoyable report with great photos

Mana looks wonderful

That is one special trip report, @@Atravelynn ! The haiku part I will need to read several times. Poetry and photography ... what a winning combo.