Mana Pools Haikus - Wilddog, Blue Bird, Atravelynn

Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

Great Boswell pictures and lovely handstand from the unknown ele. I believe there are one or two that have perfected his trick.

Not sure if it was the same baby but I do recognise the elephant you saw while you were waiting at Mucheni 4.

You had lots of luck with seeing lion on foot.

Looking forward to seeing how you got on with the canoeing.

I would have expected an "Ode to Doug" at least. Hell, even the adapter got one. ;)

This is a perfect and hilarious endnote to this report. If Doug reads nothing else (and I've alerted him to your report, Big Andy's and this one) he has to read this line!

Brilliant.elephants, great report

My only concern is why so short?

Actually it's fine, but I needed a rhyme. If I ever do a rhyming report, the forum will have YOU to blame. Not to brag, but in the 4th grade my poem about a tree was published in a kiddie literary forum & and as a college freshman I won $10 in poetry contest, so I do have experience with this genre. <_< You may just get a rhyme some day.

Excellent - really enjoyable report with great photos

Mana looks wonderful Must be one of the few places you have not been. Or have you?

That is one special trip report, @@Atravelynn ! The haiku part I will need to read several times. Poetry and photography ... what a winning combo. And there will be a test on the "Ode to the Adpater" lines.

@@Atravelynn

Great Boswell pictures and lovely handstand from the unknown ele. I believe there are one or two that have perfected his trick. It would be interesting to know if they arrived at this behavior on their own or if they watched Boswell and learned it. In the whole region, I think Doug said there were 6 such elephants. But sometimes some of them are in inaccessible areas or across the river. I have to admit that I enjoyed having a non-collared elephant doing the hind leg stands. Apparently Boswell and this other athletic male are buddies. The "studs on campus."

Not sure if it was the same baby but I do recognise the elephant you saw while you were waiting at Mucheni 4.

You had lots of luck with seeing lion on foot.

Looking forward to seeing how you got on with the canoeing. Despite the wind that kicked up in the middle of the night mere hours before the canoe departure, after having 4 still days, it was great! That's up next.

Edited by Atravelynn

I'm hoping to find a desert ele this June and I don't even care what his/her feet are doing. I noticed your new avatar right away, @@penolva and was going to ask if it was Mana Pools. You cleared up the mystery.

Look forward to hearing about the June trip Pen

Thanks! I just hope I can finish my other reports in my inbox by then! The work load can become nearly intolerable!

Boswell is one handsome ele.

Sad to see the end of one of the most fun reports in recent memory!

@@Atravelynn

I always enjoy your trip reports, but you have certainly set a new standard with one in all haikus. I anxiously await your next "adventure," both the destination and the report that follows.

Thanks once again for so generously sharing your experience.

Thank you for this superb and no doubt difficult trip report.

Mana pools remains my number one bucket-list destination, and I am glad to hear that there are now up to six elephant doing stand-up entertainment. I remember reading a trip report by @@Morkel Erasmus a year or two ago, and at the time there were only two elephant known to do this, Boswel and his "askari", presumably the other elephant you photographed.

I really enjoyed this report!

Thank you for this superb and no doubt difficult trip report.

Mana pools remains my number one bucket-list destination, and I am glad to hear that there are now up to six elephant doing stand-up entertainment. I remember reading a trip report by @@Morkel Erasmus a year or two ago, and at the time there were only two elephant known to do this, Boswel and his "askari", presumably the other elephant you photographed.

I really enjoyed this report! Thanks!

The 6 are wide spread over a large area. I think if you get one "handstander" you are lucky!

Yes, for sure I agree.

I am also sure that going with a guide who knows the area well improves your chances immeasurably.

Yes, for sure I agree.

I am also sure that going with a guide who knows the area well improves your chances immeasurably.

Like....Doug maybe!

Fabulous, nothing else to say.

Nor I, since I have run out of haikus.

@@Atravelynn

I always enjoy your trip reports, but you have certainly set a new standard with one in all haikus. I anxiously await your next "adventure," both the destination and the report that follows. Thanks so much. The next one is the end of this trip, in a canoe. But no haikus, even though that actually rhymes...haiku, canoe.

Thanks once again for so generously sharing your experience.

Edited by Atravelynn

If I ever do a rhyming report, the forum will have YOU to blame. Not to brag, but in the 4th grade my poem about a tree was published in a kiddie literary forum & and as a college freshman I won $10 in poetry contest, so I do have experience with this genre. <_< You may just get a rhyme some day.

@atravelynn I just knew it. A published poet. For some reason the only recognition I gor for my limericks got was a trip to visit the headmaster;; and he didn't give me $10.

Noit to put even more ideas into your head though.... .limericks are very difficult as three of five lines have to rhyme and something funny has to happen in the last one.

@@Atravelynn

Finally time to catch up with the rest of this report. Still think the haikus were an inspired form to use!

And more great photos.

Loved the Boswell and his buddy photos.

The crown pictures and story made me howl with laughter.....I can only begin to imagine what others thought seeing you guys sporting the crowns.

So glad your telephone call home wasn't interrupted by a snake falling on you!

Creviced mud:-( Bane of my life.......spent an afternoon last week making my way through that stuff trying not to turn an ankle. Luckily I (and everyone else) made it through with no accidents.

Thank you again for this trip report. A very enjoyable read.

Edited by CaroleE

"Must be one of the few places you have not been. Or have you?"

@@Atravelynn

I was there for a few days as part of a Guerba Truck trip round Zimbabwe (some time in the 90s!) - it was good fun.

But it is a place I would like to go to for a "proper visit" (I blame your report!)

Edited by TonyQ

If I ever do a rhyming report, the forum will have YOU to blame. Not to brag, but in the 4th grade my poem about a tree was published in a kiddie literary forum & and as a college freshman I won $10 in poetry contest, so I do have experience with this genre. <_< You may just get a rhyme some day.

Noit to put even more ideas into your head though.... .limericks are very difficult as three of five lines have to rhyme and something funny has to happen in the last one.

If I ever get to Ireland, I'll try to do the trip report in limerick!

@@Atravelynn

Creviced mud:-( Bane of my life.......spent an afternoon last week making my way through that stuff trying not to turn an ankle. Luckily I (and everyone else) made it through with no accidents.

Thank you again for this trip report. A very enjoyable read. And thank YOU.

It is amazing how fragile and vulnerable we are when confronted with difficult terrain underfoot.

"Must be one of the few places you have not been. Or have you?"

@@Atravelynn

I was there for a few days as part of a Guerba Truck trip round Zimbabwe (some time in the 90s!) - it was good fun.

But it is a place I would like to go to for a "proper visit" (I blame your report!)

The Guerba Truck Trip, I'm not surprised you've done that.

@@Atravelynn

Another entertaining report of course. Really looking forward to your canoeing adventure, nothing more exciting than navigating around some hippos.

@@TonyQ

My first trip to Africa was a Guerba trip! Those trips can be great but boy I've seen some go sideways in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all pictures from Mana but the ones from Boswell and the Nyala are just priceless. I've only seen Nyala once before and that was on my first trip to Mana Pools. I'm sure that I'll see plenty on Nyala next year when I visit Pamusana and Gonarezhou National Park.

Thanks @@dlo. Canoeing was a great way to end the Zim travels.

@@optig, I think you have me mixed up with Michael-ibk's report maybe where he had some excellent nyala shots. No nyala for us. But Boswell was present. Looks like you have a great itinerary lined up for yourself next year.

madaboutcheetah

Just catching up with this report again - Pretty impressive all round - but, most impressive was that HUGE Eland bull!!!!

I am looking forward to seeing them,as well as lots of huge and aggressive elephants,and plenty of other antelope. I also know that the birding is outstanding.

@@Atravelynn

Haiku!

minimalist

Pure

poetic

refreshing

and that's about all I can manage. :blink: you've outdone all of us. how apt you chose mana pools for the haiku.

i thoroughly enjoyed the report in one go. love the series of pix of the elephants. and very belated birthday greetings to @@wilddog.

finally finding time to read the TRs and can't wait to dive into more. where's your canoe trip report?

Edited by Kitsafari