Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa — October, 2015

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be boring and agree with everyone else. Great cheetah photos and the action sequence is superb. The next best thing to actually being there.

~ @@Thursday's Child

You've provided me so much support by looking through this trip report.

When I've seen that you were visiting, it invariably brought a smile.

BTW: Yours truly is a Wednesday's Child.

Many, many THANKS!

Tom K.

As always, I'm continuing to enjoy your thoughtful presentation of this excellent set of photos. The nyala on the previous page - wow!

Ulusaba Lodge is quite a sight, too.

As other members have said, your cheetah hunt sequence is great! The photos are bursting with energy.

~ @@Marks

You've been patiently visiting this trip report during the months that it's been uploaded.

Once again you've kindly encouraged me, which I greatly appreciate.

Thank you for letting me know that you enjoyed the nyala and cheetah images.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie you may have not adjusted the settings but I love how the frenzied pursuit and the desperate escape were captured in the photos. Amazing set of the hunt. Love the last pic of the cheetah in mid air.

@@Tom Kellie - you would of course know that I get a special kick out of any shots of bush tracks and roads and your last contributions remind me exactly of the type found in Sabi Sands. Lovely. The middle image with the focus mid way along the road is particularly pleasing - like you'e already been to the foreground, mid ground next and then the distance still to explore.

Your other photographs include a fantastic variety of subjects all of which are perfect for those soles who can't get on their own trip to Africa and also for those of us addicts who are lucky enough to have trips to look forward to and that need their daily fix.

The cheetah sequence is amazing and reminds me that I go to Africa in the hope that I will be fortunate to even see something like that let alone photograph it and you managed both. For me personally, "all out exertion" and "sense of scale" are all you need to show to get an understanding of what happened. If you showed just those two to both a frequent safari goer and a complete newbie then they must surely get a sense of what the bush is all about which in this case is "all or nothing".

Looking forward to more.

kind regards

deano.

Thursday's Child

I refuse to accept you as being 'full of woe' @@Tom Kellie! Given the positive attitude to Africa expressed in all your TR's and your very encouraging responses to other posters, I think 'full of glow' would be more appropriate ?

Edited by Thursday's Child

After the hunting Cheetah what more?

An elephant browsing in very low light.

One never knows what might be in store,

Even when day's done, with the coming of night.

post-49296-0-81583400-1459655719_thumb.jpg

Slight Curl

post-49296-0-16345700-1459655793_thumb.jpg

Evening Dining

post-49296-0-61289200-1459655837_thumb.jpg

Undulation

post-49296-0-35973300-1459655887_thumb.jpg

Elephant in Vegetation

Night's here, the lowveld quiets down,

A few birds chirp, but that's about all.

So far out, there's not any town,

The dusk heralds the coming nightfall.

post-49296-0-52149400-1459658130_thumb.jpg

Spring Evening Silhouette

post-49296-0-01630500-1459658354_thumb.jpg

Dusk Contrast

post-49296-0-44402400-1459658419_thumb.jpg

Spectral Intensification

You have made the fenceline attractive in your photo. Now that's a feat. Love the cheetah series in pics and poems. Well captured each. You may wonder if the kudu will study, travel, and marry. I'm wondering if that cheetah will.

Crocuta crocuta all worn out,

From hunting, eating, chasing and such,

At this hour rest is what they're about,

Drowsiness with a hyena touch.

post-49296-0-96382600-1459661159_thumb.jpg

On Soil, Beside Grass

post-49296-0-61961000-1459661207_thumb.jpg

Drowsy Mien

post-49296-0-86196700-1459661238_thumb.jpg

Mini-Stretch

post-49296-0-04641500-1459661275_thumb.jpg

Hyena in Motion

post-49296-0-08913900-1459661316_thumb.jpg

Resting in Grass

post-49296-0-79399700-1459661354_thumb.jpg

Hyena Paws

post-49296-0-26774500-1459661390_thumb.jpg

Spotted Hyena Resting Place

post-49296-0-88745600-1459661441_thumb.jpg

Spotted Hyena Resting Place

With the departure of the setting Sun,

Ink-black night shrouded life's essence,

Suddenly appeared male leopard Dayone,

Brute feline power's quintessence.

post-49296-0-15079600-1459663738_thumb.jpg

Dayone Approaches

post-49296-0-21714400-1459663774_thumb.jpg

Between Two Vehicles

post-49296-0-06937700-1459663813_thumb.jpg

Thick-necked Adult Male Leopard

post-49296-0-36541800-1459663850_thumb.jpg

Into Night's Darkness

Boma Dinners are a Leopard Hills treat,

Where rangers and guests dine together outside,

Others strongly urge me to select meat,

Not much of a carnivore, I must confide.

post-49296-0-58125900-1459664735_thumb.jpg

Final Boma Dinner

@@Tom Kellie you may have not adjusted the settings but I love how the frenzied pursuit and the desperate escape were captured in the photos. Amazing set of the hunt. Love the last pic of the cheetah in mid air.

~ @@Kitsafari

It's welcome encouragement to read your generous comment.

As the images weren't what I might have sought, I was uneasy about posting them in Safaritalk.

The high bar set by a number the photography in a number of recent trip reports has intimidated me, causing me to hesitate posting more than before.

If you liked the cheetah hunt photos, I'm satisfied.

Thank you so much.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie - you would of course know that I get a special kick out of any shots of bush tracks and roads and your last contributions remind me exactly of the type found in Sabi Sands. Lovely. The middle image with the focus mid way along the road is particularly pleasing - like you'e already been to the foreground, mid ground next and then the distance still to explore.

Your other photographs include a fantastic variety of subjects all of which are perfect for those soles who can't get on their own trip to Africa and also for those of us addicts who are lucky enough to have trips to look forward to and that need their daily fix.

The cheetah sequence is amazing and reminds me that I go to Africa in the hope that I will be fortunate to even see something like that let alone photograph it and you managed both. For me personally, "all out exertion" and "sense of scale" are all you need to show to get an understanding of what happened. If you showed just those two to both a frequent safari goer and a complete newbie then they must surely get a sense of what the bush is all about which in this case is "all or nothing".

Looking forward to more.

~ @@deano

I had you specifically in mind when I was preparing the images of the tracks with spring foliage.

That they pleased you is especially good news to me.

It's useful for me to know that you also found worth in the cheetah sequence.

My internal doubts about those images almost caused me to refrain from posting them.

I've now finished all except the final day at Leopard Hills, consisting of a morning game drive and departure for Johannesburg and beyond.

Thank you for your continued support. I'm excited that later this year you'll be in Leopard Hills enjoying your own special Lowveld experience.

Tom K.

I refuse to accept you as being 'full of woe' @@Tom Kellie! Given the positive attitude to Africa expressed in all your TR's and your very encouraging responses to other posters, I think 'full of glow' would be more appropriate

~ @@Thursday's Child

Ah, you know all of the verses. When I read your Safaritalk moniker, I think of the lengthy flights from Birmingham to the far corners of the globe.

What you've so kindly commented above is truly appreciated. I strive to live up to such high praise.

Many, many thanks!

Tom K.

You have made the fenceline attractive in your photo. Now that's a feat. Love the cheetah series in pics and poems. Well captured each. You may wonder if the kudu will study, travel, and marry. I'm wondering if that cheetah will.

~ @@Atravelynn

Thank you for taking time to visit this trip report.

The reassurance from you and others about the cheetah series shifts my thinking.

I'd fretted about the lack of clarity in the ultra-fast chase images.

What lies behind my interest in kudu is the sense that the big cats have ample loyal supporters.

Kudu are admired, but seldom with the same vigor as accorded to their larger feline neighbors.

Hence I muse on kudu...as well as lions, cheetahs, and leopards.

It goes without saying that Zorillas remain foremost in my idle safari daydreams.

Tom K.

Peter Connan

@@Tom Kellie, i love "spring evening silhoutte" and the bokeh in the first shot of that almost obese leopard. Lens wide open?

Glad to see you had some vegetable for dinner as well (that is what we Saffers call chicken).

@@Tom Kellie

Good to see you showing off the hyena - that is beautiful light showing off a fine animal -I also really like the more distant shot (the last in the sequence) with the big tree in the background - showing off the hyena and environment. That leopard really does have a thick neck!

Venus above Jupiter in the dawn sky,

A lovely way to begin my final day.

To observe planets aligned so very high,

Touches my heart far, far more than I might say.

post-49296-0-00421600-1459683604_thumb.jpg

Venus Above Jupiter

post-49296-0-40122500-1459683744_thumb.jpg

Early Morning Plunge Pool

post-49296-0-03846100-1459683800_thumb.jpg

Plunge Pool and Suite

@@Tom Kellie, i love "spring evening silhoutte" and the bokeh in the first shot of that almost obese leopard. Lens wide open?

Glad to see you had some vegetable for dinner as well (that is what we Saffers call chicken).

~ @@Peter Connan

Ha Ha! That sounds about right! Very funny.

Dayone is the current dominant leopard — powerful!

The images of him were shot at f/2, ISO 2000, 1/80 sec.

Wide open seemed the way to go in the spotlighted night drive situation.

Thank you for making me laugh.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Good to see you showing off the hyena - that is beautiful light showing off a fine animal -I also really like the more distant shot (the last in the sequence) with the big tree in the background - showing off the hyena and environment. That leopard really does have a thick neck!

~ @@TonyQ

There seems to be a stalwart corps of hyena admirers on Safaritalk.

We may not be the largest fan base, but we more than compensate for that by unswerving loyalty to hyenas.

They're fascinating animals, with such a variety of different types of behavior.

Hyenas are especially charming when resting or with their young.

Dayone, the dominant leopard around Leopard Hills is an exceptionally powerful adult male.

I saw him again in January, 2016, marveling at his muscularity.

Thank you for your supportive comments.

Tom K.

The night rain left its wet mark,

On the terrace planks and plants,

I'd heard nothing after dark,

I sat down — oh-oh — damp pants!

post-49296-0-95214500-1459690782_thumb.jpg

Potted Plant on the Terrace

post-49296-0-83527900-1459690609_thumb.jpg

Swimming Pool

post-49296-0-32018800-1459690674_thumb.jpg

Swimming Pool Landscaping

The final day, the ultimate game drive,

A duiker and hyena were first to appear,

Enjoying their day, glad to be alive,

In a balmy temperature, the sky so clear.

post-49296-0-12320600-1459692531_thumb.jpg

Glimpse of a Grey Duiker

post-49296-0-97117500-1459692595_thumb.jpg

Disappearing Hyena

"Thick-necked Adult Male Leopard"

I am even thinking goiter, perhaps? We saw a lion cub with a goiter so maybe I just have that condition on my mind.

Looking upward, you did a nice job with Venus and Jupiter in the sunrise.

Love the hyena photos, especially as you indicated that night was falling and I imagine the lighting conditions may have been challenging. In any case, they came out with a very attractive reddish glow that I enjoyed.

I've also been intrigued by thick-necked leopards before, too, though I've yet to see anything quite like that one in person.

This male giraffe had a look,

Of gentle confidence and poise,

Such that the portraits I took,

Suggest a calm scene without noise.

post-49296-0-94332300-1459774776_thumb.jpg

Sabi Sands Spring Giraffe

post-49296-0-78868300-1459774940_thumb.jpg

Dark Coat Pattern Male Giraffe

post-49296-0-88647000-1459775492_thumb.jpg

Surrounded by Attractive Foliage

post-49296-0-45377300-1459776190_thumb.jpg

Idyllic Giraffe Scene