A Safari of Returns: Tswalu and Welgevonden, South Africa, September 2015

Tdgraves

Towlersonsafari

Very much enjoyed your report, thank you @@Tdgraves!

Awesome stuff, and sorry for so many likes yet few actual replies!
A brown hyaena...even if fleeting, lord I'm envious!
And great leopard sighting - that treed warthog was a whopper! It's always interesting how the reserve affects the sightings, how a 'normal' sighting in a reserve where a species is infrequent becomes an excellent sighting.

Lovely photos of the hare! :)

Lovely photos of the hare! :)

I know, you usually only see them in the dark and far away!

@@Tdgraves

Many great photos as usual and stories. Thanks. You got great results from the motion-sensored camera too.

Great TR and photos @@Tdgraves! Thanks for sharing! I was quite curious about Welgevonden since I was hesitating between this reserve and Entabeni (both are in the Waterberg Biosphere area) and finally went for Entabeni (in combination with Madikwe) at the end of September. Welgevonden looks very nice, though...

Great report. Looks like you picked a good spot to set up the camera trap, too.

The night drive section yielded bushbabies and this the best shot I've ever got of a civet (not saying much really!)

Still better than any of mine! :)

Thanks for posting a very engaging report with some lovely photos.

• 2 months later...

Fantastic trip report @@Tdgraves!! So many great sightings and images!! Lions in golden morning light, leopards at night, the aardvark, meerkats and lots lots more... Looking forward to reading your Mashatu report! :)

Cheers,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

"There are leopard in Tswalu, but they are not habituated like those in Sabi Sands, for instance". There has to be something left for Sabi Sands with all Tswala has to offer!

Nice night shot of the Jameson's red rock rabbit. That's better than just a sighting.

What a great itinerary you had. Thanks for the Mashatu link. I thought I had overlooked it.

Can you comment on 4 nights Tswala after having done it? About right? Would you recommend more time, even if it meant forgoing other places due to time and the cost of Tswala?

I saw the comment on the emergency lens but did not find out what happened to your original lens.

Edited by Atravelynn

Hi @@Atravelynn I think 4 nights at tswalu would be my minimum as the reserve is far away, large and so different to anywhere else - you will not get bored! For this you get free flights included. I wanted to stay 5, but there was no availability (for this you get 5 for the price of 4). My lens kept getting stuck - it turns out that some screws had come loose, so it's all fixed now.

Ps the best way to maximise your time there is to fly in from Cape Town and on to joburg (due to the flight schedules)

Hi @@Atravelynn I think 4 nights at tswalu would be my minimum (my thoughts exactly on 4 nt min from reading your report and others) as the reserve is far away, large and so different to anywhere else - you will not get bored! For this you get free flights included. I wanted to stay 5, but there was no availability (for this you get 5 for the price of 4). My lens kept getting stuck - it turns out that some screws had come loose, so it's all fixed now.

Ps the best way to maximise your time there is to fly in from Cape Town and on to joburg (due to the flight schedules)

Good advice. Glad your lens is ok now.