Linyanti/Kwara concession in green season

Antee

So glad you finally got your dogs. It sounds like you were more than deserving of that sighting.

Cheetah vs. dogs as a choice to pursue is indeed a nice problem to have, but you made the right choice (I would have done the same) AND you still got to see the cheetahs later anyway. Perfect!

Yepp, I was indeed deserving it :)

The dogs were not very active. Therefore, there was time for cheetahs too. The best of both worlds. Perfect!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antee

• madaboutcheetah

• michael-ibk

• Geoff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left Lebala with the words from my guide "You have great chance to see wild dogs in Kwara too. Almost as big as Lebala". 25 minutes later I was in a different environment. Much more water as Kwara

So...the time has come. My first trip report in here. I do not now where this is taken us but we start and we'll see. As writing in english isn´t my best sport, I will pretty much let the pictures sp

I'm one of those who appreciate even the small animals. I think they are just as fascinating and so it was fun to see different species of mongooses. We saw them on each game drive and they run around

Posted Images

The leopard cub...what a sighting!

Everything else great too, feeding lions and hyaenas here, cheetah and dogs there. Whoever said the green season wasn't as good!?

I know, the green season is lovely. Would not trade it for high season. Insane action for only 4 days Safari.

Escpecially Kwara. Only 2 days but sightings for a lifetime.

And it´s not the end yet...

Edited by Antee

Really cool that Kwara went all out for you - Lions, Leopard, Cheetah (with cubs, and hunting!) and Wild Dogs, fantastic! I was there in March 2014, and while I loved it for its scenery, and there were lots of animals around, no luck with Leopard, Cheetah or the Dogs (though I did see them and Leopard at Lagoon). I think it´s not a bad thing arriving somewhere where animals x "hasn´t been seen in two weeks" - that just means they have to show up again very soon. :)

Interesting thought.
Have not thought about it that way.
You are probably right, and on this trip, it was 100% correct.
Atravelynn

Kwara came through for you with the dogs. No cheating. But plenty of cheetah. That cooling off squirrel is quite humorous too. Lots happening in green season.

Very glad you got your dogs - and here I was thinking that you were going to have to "settle" for leopard + cub and cheetah! ;)

The leopard cub peeking out from the tree is hard to beat.

Last morning.
So much was going on that it was only to choose were to start...

We decided to search for the missing Leopard with cub. Where they moved?
We searched the adjacent tree island near where we left her last time...

...and there they were!

The cub was out and playing.

post-49909-0-06425800-1452578401_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-03483300-1452578441_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-74994000-1452578542_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-37396800-1452578581_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-34783300-1452578618_thumb.jpg

Look att the big eyes from the cub. So excited to follow his mother. The world must be a fascinating place for a 3 week old cub.

post-49909-0-45759700-1452578733_thumb.jpg

We went on to see what we find...

...and beside the road was this tragic sight.
One still-born zebra foal. Just minutes old. The scavengers had not even discovered it.
A yellow-billed Kite had started to circle above it when we left.

post-49909-0-37774400-1452579237_thumb.jpg

Maybe one of those who was the unhappy mother...

post-49909-0-04256700-1452579402_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-87367400-1452579425_thumb.jpg

Beautiful surroundings.

post-49909-0-70487700-1452579648_thumb.jpg

It was also big activity among the male lions.
I could hear them roaring at night. And claim their territory.

At the moment it was 3 big males who was the boss of the area.
They had recently been challenged by two younger adult males. There was great tension in the air.

We saw both groups. They were only about 500 m apart.
But as usual with the lions so there was not much action. They probably waited til the night.

post-49909-0-59034600-1452580444_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-08467800-1452580473_thumb.jpg

Time is running out!
we had a plane to catch back to Maun but it was still some time left for the Cheetahs...
Perhaps we would this time seeing a successful hunt?

We arrived a few minutes late.
A car was already here and told an incredible story.
The cheetah had just taken a Reedbuck but had been robbed of it by a Hyena.
When she tried to take back her prey, a new Reedbuck turned up and passed completely unaware of what had happened.
The cheetah shifted the focus instantly and attacked. Boom!! Another kill. Two Reedbucks in a couple of minutes. One stolen and one on the dining table.

It was here that we came into the game ...

The thief was sitting nearby and bathed.

post-49909-0-22039600-1452581418_thumb.jpg

The Cheetahs still exhausted from the double hunt and concerned about the Hyena presence.

post-49909-0-65030300-1452581596_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-82150000-1452581612_thumb.jpg

The Reedbuck kill.

post-49909-0-67650100-1452581750_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-25451700-1452581766_thumb.jpg

We stayed 15 minutes, then the time was definitely over. We had to go back.
I had gladly stayed and seen how it ended. But what to do?
Rally driving on the way back...

...but HEY!

Another one who recently made a kill.

A Martial Eagle with a monitor lizard. The biggest Eagle in Africa.
Everyone seems to made kills in Kwara!

post-49909-0-21703400-1452582452_thumb.jpg

post-49909-0-44117600-1452582460_thumb.jpg

Only time for 2 minutes...
I had gladly stayed even here.

My time in Kwara is over. So is my time i Botswana.
I had 4 amazing days in Lebala and Kwara. Especially the latter with incredible sightings. Only two days but sightings for a lifetime.

There is some amazing action going on out there!
If this is the low season... I wonder what the high season is like...

Highlights were:

* +10 Hyenas on a big Elephant carcass
* Leopard with 3 week old cub
* Lions mating
* Group of Lions feeding on a baby Elephant.
* Lioness with recently killed babyZebra
* Cheetah with cubs hunting Impalas
* Wild dogs

Stuff that I missed (saved for the next time)

* Leopard-kill in a tree
* Pics of Bat eared Foxes
* Roan Antelope
* Sable Antelope
* One of the smaller cats (Wild cat, Caracal, Serval, Blackfooted cat). In fact the nightdrives was really unproductive. 3 nightdrives and not a single animal...of any kind.

Thanx for reading!

Edited by Antee
Tom Kellie

~ @@Antee

You end with a lovely leopard cub at play?

Let's hear it for short duration safaris!

What you observed, described and photographed would do a much longer safari proud.

An inspiring trip report from start to finish, reedbucks, cheetah, leopard cub and all!

Tack så mycket!

Tom K.

michael-ibk

What a last morning. Leopard Cub again, then a Cheetah kill, and a Martial Eagle kill as a Good Bye gift.Really incredible how much you saw in only four days, and proof that even a short safari can be terrific. Your highlight list would be an excellent highlight list for a two-week-safari. Your report really makes me want to return to Kwando, thank you! The high grass must have made night drives pretty difficult. I remember we did not see too much also, but had a Wild Cat in Kwara.

What a last morning. Leopard Cub again, then a Cheetah kill, and a Martial Eagle kill as a Good Bye gift.Really incredible how much you saw in only four days, and proof that even a short safari can be terrific. Your highlight list would be an excellent highlight list for a two-week-safari. Your report really makes me want to return to Kwando, thank you! The high grass must have made night drives pretty difficult. I remember we did not see too much also, but had a Wild Cat in Kwara.

I know...it was so much going on and we had a deadline to meet. Annoying.

Maybe kwaras way of saying goodbye :)

I will return to Okavango some day. For sure.

But first some trekking in the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan in March and then Namibia in July with Etosha, Hoanib river and much more, with a detour to Kasane and Chobe NP. Plus Meerkats in Makgadikgadi.

Excellent trip. Some great sightings.

madaboutcheetah

@@Antee - that's a brilliant trip!

Game viewing can be up and down one week to the next, but, you did the right thing by picking two phenomenal concessions - the rest is all luck and I'm glad you had that on your side! and Oh - that Martial Eagle sighting is just as impressive as any of the others .......

Too bad you missed the cheetah double kill - she seems to be a very impressive hunter from your description - Hmmmm I might have to pencil a visit a go find her ;)

You mentioned two male cheetah in one of your posts - did you find them? are they a new coalition?

Edited by madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah

Yeah, it was some cool action with the double-kill accordning to the car who were there and saw the show.

You, who like predators in general and cheetahs in particular must have been hungry for Kwara now, right? :)
I like to read a report from you in the future from Kwara.

Correctly, there were two Cheetah males in the area as well. We had our eyes open for them but we didn´t see them.
I got the impression that there was not a new coalition and that they existed in the area for a while.

It is certainly a hard job being a parent.
During my two days she missed the first Impala-hunt. Then the Reedbuck got stolen by the Hyena and finally, the second Reedbuck seemed to be a well-earned meal.

She must hunt alot with two 8 month old cubs so it´s great action at the moment in Kwara.

It should also be some great Lion activity at the moment with the new brothers who claim the area from the older three males.

And there is also really newborn Lion-cubs that nobody has seen yet. We saw the mama with the Zebra-foal but no cubs. They are still hiding somewhere waiting to be introduced to the pride.

Cool stuff is going on.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @@Antee - great info.

Re the two cheetah brothers. I've not read anything about them in the game reports. I.e., the ones from Kwara

Kwara I haven't been to since 2011. No plans at the moment, though ............ Much appreciate your report and glad you had an amazing trip!

I've enjoyed this very much. That last eagle sighting was a great conclusion (those eyes!).

I've enjoyed this very much. That last eagle sighting was a great conclusion (those eyes!).

Yes, a great ending to a fabulous place. Too bad there was some panic to made it back to camp. I wanted to stay with him so bad in order to take some photos when he eats or maybe fly away with the prey.

Kitsafari

@@Antee late to this report and still on post #7 . thanks for taking pix of the smaller wildlife - they are just as fascinating but they hardly stop to pose like the big ones so to be able to capture a picture of the yellow mongoose is just great. it's cute!

did they say why the elephants were so edgy? could it be they still have recent memories of hunting?

so pilot is the name of the male lion?

Kitsafari

wow what a welcome at Kwara! you struck gold indeed. amazing that the leopard mum was so comfortable with the vehicle to allow you to follow her and the cub. incredible.

and Kwara was so good to you. lions feeding, cheetah hunting, martial eagle with a kill, hyena theft - all in 2 days! who says short trips don't work? you are living proof that short stays still deliver. wonderful pictures and you make Kwara very enticing in my books.

@@Antee late to this report and still on post #7 . thanks for taking pix of the smaller wildlife - they are just as fascinating but they hardly stop to pose like the big ones so to be able to capture a picture of the yellow mongoose is just great. it's cute!

did they say why the elephants were so edgy? could it be they still have recent memories of hunting?

so pilot is the name of the male lion?

In fact I think the little animals are just as fascinating as the big ones. Reptiles, amphibians and mammals.

Regarding the Elephants so yes, probably the memory after the hunt. This does not apply to all elephants However. We had one in the camp that doesn´t care at all... for example.

Some of them had babys as well and therefore extra edgy. Most of them was false attack but we have one for real. Just to press the gas pedal :)

Pilot and drop-the-pilot is the name of the two brothers in Lebala (Not Kwara). Do not know who is who :)

wow what a welcome at Kwara! you struck gold indeed. amazing that the leopard mum was so comfortable with the vehicle to allow you to follow her and the cub. incredible.

and Kwara was so good to you. lions feeding, cheetah hunting, martial eagle with a kill, hyena theft - all in 2 days! who says short trips don't work? you are living proof that short stays still deliver. wonderful pictures and you make Kwara very enticing in my books.

Yes she was relaxed with us. Not with the baboons nearby though... that´s why they moved. Maybe she wanted us there for protection while she changed positions :)

Write up Kwara in your book. You will probably not be disappointed.

Sounds like a very rewarding trip. I enjoyed your report and photos that tell the story!

• 1 month later...
Neeners815

I've been reading through some reports today and came upon this one. I really enjoyed your pics - especially the leopard cub - and your stories. Thanks very much for sharing.

Antee

Thank you very much for reading :)

Game Warden

Some stunning photos @@Antee and it shows with careful planning, (reading Safaritalk trip reports...), one can maximise sightings and opportunities. I think many would put the leopard cub sightings at the top of their wishlist.

Matt

elefromoz

@@Antee, what a great report, full of would be highlights for many of us. I enjoy your writing style, brief, funny and your passion for those animals shines through. Thanks for a great read, somehow I missed it earlier.