The Return to the Hunt in Madikwe, Klaserie, and Sabi Sands

Terry

A sad ending, but important to keep in mind.

Great leopard sightings, but I daresay the nyala stole the show on the last page!

@@Terry - I really enjoyed your report despite a sad ending. Thank you for sharing.

Where to next?

kind regards

deano.

Thank you for your photos and descriptions of the creatures on your safari. As I read I felt myself standing next to you and being part of what was happening. The photos come alive and there I am staring at that lion cub and watching it touch his lion Dad. Thank you for providing all of us the chance to become part of your safari.

• 2 weeks later...
FlyTraveler

Fabulous report, @@Terry! I spent the past two hours reading and enjoying the photos and the narration. Very well balanced itinerary with different habitats and animals. You've been very lucky in Madikwe. For six nights there we didn't see neither a leopard nor the wild dogs. Gomo-Gomo is a clear winner, I hope that I'll visit that lodge some day. The last one in Sabi Sand also looks fantastic with the access to Sand River. I thought that all lodges there with access to Sabi or Sand rivers are the the higher end of the market. As one can expect, plenty of Leopard sightings in Sabi Sand.

I am jealous about your photos, I am having a hard time of thinking about upgrade of lenses and camera bodies while you are taking great images with an entry level DSLR and all-purpose zoom lens :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading about your next safari trip :)

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are very lucky on safari!

Elephant umbilical cords. You just don't see that every day on safari. Lots of other cool baby eles too.

I was especially impressed with your leopard coming out of the dark shadows, accented by light and that little leopard cub. It appears so sweet. I hope your good luck extends to this cub, as it seems she could use it with the track record of her mother. But high mortality is part of nature.

Those hippo "tears" do tug at the heartstrings.

You demonstrated your bravery with the Torchwood photos, refusing to abandon your photographic mission despite the harsh stare of a leopard.

Thanks for the input on rhinos. Sobering. There is no fire like greed.

Edited by Atravelynn

@Terry

Great report, loved reading it and have added all locations to my favorite folder on the computer.