2003 : Self-driving trip in Botswana + Welgevonden & Madikwe

Bush dog

We had not booked anything in Moremi. Indeed, there are a lot of places in the public campsites. We set up our camp at North Gate and went on game drive.

Looks like you chose a good base of operations. That leopard sighting is indeed great.

The next day, we left North Gate to go to the camping area of Third Bridge. It was a quiet day. We just got stuck in the hot sand. After multiple attempts to escape, vainly, we had to resolve to wait for the passage of a vehicle to get us out of this mess.

The next day, we went to Xakanaxa where we arrived just in time for brunch. I had already been there a couple of times. The camp was managed by a couple, well known at that time in the safari world of Botswana, Bob & Flo.

For the afternoon game drive, I asked if Munzu, an excellent guide with whom I had been on game drive several times before, was available and he was. He very quick spotted a leopard that was extremely difficult to see. Only the tip of its tale was visible.

post-48450-0-46207700-1456408470_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-37845800-1456408479_thumb.jpg

Then, a lioness in the tall grass.

post-48450-0-52798300-1456408498_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-15128000-1456408509_thumb.jpg

We had our sundowners in the car in the company of two lions. They were on a mound in the middle of swamps and ponds. To reach them, you had to know the path to follow in this maze of dry passages and Munzu knew it. But for self-driving people, it was extremely difficult. During all the time we stayed there, more than thirty minutes, we witnessed all the unsuccessful attempts of a vehicle to join us and consequently the frustrations of its driver. By the curses he let out, I can say that he was German speaking. Munzu was laughing. Eventually, he succeeded and immediately, we left him instead, the light was not gorgeous anymore.

post-48450-0-39799700-1456654088_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-99821500-1456654096_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-29099300-1456654106_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-03536000-1456654115_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-17957600-1456654124_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-89616600-1456654131_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-55573200-1456654138_thumb.jpgpost-48450-0-88932900-1456654148_thumb.jpg

The next day, we left and arrived in Serowe where we stayed for the night at Lentswe lodge.

This is the end of the first part of this report. As I will be out for more than three weeks, the suite will come in time. Nevertheless, I would like already to thank all those who have shown interest for it as well as those who added one or more comments: @Atravelynn, @Marks, , @Tom Kellie, @@Kitsafari, @@penolva.

the leopardess and the lioness were so good looking! the light was gorgeous on them.

whereever you're going or whatever you'll be doing - have a good and restful time @@Bush dog

Thanks for this report. Even if you were not happy with your "guide" you still had some magnificent sightings. Really enjoyed the Leopard set especially!

@Kitsafari@michael-ibk

Thanks a lot!!!

You definitely made the most of that light while it lasted! The 5th photo in the post above is especially great.

I'll be anticipating part two.

• 4 weeks later...
Peter Connan

What a great trip @@Bush dog!

Having done a couple of somewhat similar trips, I can say that your prose and photos perfectly capture the excitement and adventure (Louis Lamour says that adventure is just another word for trouble. I think he is right).

In 2010 and 2012 when I was there, the ablution facilities in the Moremi where clean and seemed reasonably well maintained, although at third bridge they were busy building bigger facilities which were already in use despite not being quite finished. Not sure what has happeed in the last four years.

@@Peter Connan

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Concerning the ablution facilities, I know that, since then, the department responsible for it has subcontracted their maintenance to a company.

• 7 years later...

I'm sorry not to have read this TR until now. Unfortunately, my browsing tends to be spasmodic for reasons you might understand. 

What a fascinating expedition!  Your account of "speeding" in formation across the pan reminded me of Donald Campbell's world land speed record on the dry salt of Lake Eyre in South Australia in 1964😂. That (more than 400 mph) really made headlines back in the day!

I'm equally amused by your judgement of the "guide's" appetite to be useful.