xelas

@@xelas, Rietvlei looks a very clever way to kick-start a safari. A photo that combines wildlife and wildflowers is a treat, the Waterbuck are just lovely. What a nice first day.

Great start! As everyone has already said, the bush pigs and the waterbuck in the flowers are big highlights. Looking forward to more.

I hoe @@xelas doesn't mind me butting into his trip report, but here are a couple more from Rietvlei:

Stonechat and bee:

post-24763-0-29878300-1456461262_thumb.jpg

Diederick's Cuckoo:

post-24763-0-62348900-1456461276_thumb.jpg

post-24763-0-07592700-1456461294_thumb.jpg

~ @@Peter Connan

Wow! That's a crazy-good ‘butt-in”!

Gorgeous bird images, both the cuckoo and the stonechat.

As to the bee in flight...AMAZING!

Thank you.

Tom K.

@@Peter Connan

Just the opposite, Peter! Funny thing, Zvezda got the same moment of the Stonechat and the bee; he remembered your photo being much sharper then hers, thus it is excellent that you have posted it.

With Cuckoo she was not having a good shot, again, thank you for adding it to this report. If there are others, please add them (just not the Widowbird; I have intentionally left them out as they will be the co-star of our Marienvale post).

I love the waterbucks in the flowers.

x1

+ blesbuck

+ rietvlei (did i spell that right?) and the bee

what a start to the trip.

Edited by Kitsafari

@@deano

We took photos first ask ID later :) ! Birds, specially birds of prey are such a magnet for us. Not only because they prefer to perch on the top of the trees (instead of inside the canopy shadow ;) ).

For a bigger lens, no need to do it Peter's size. What Zvezda is holding in her hands is what was mostly used on this trip. Size does matter ... but is not the decisive factor.

As everyone has said, the waterbucks amongst the flowers is such a lovely picture.

But the pose of the Masked Weaver made me laugh, I can imagine him saying - 'Oi you mate, stop pointing that camera in my face!'

I am buckling in too ... will be visiting the KTP again in September so I am all over KTP reports right now to pass the time while I wait :P Just read your last one which was brilliant! Can't wait for this one - the itinerary is longer and better :D Wonderful photos so far, including @@Peter Connan's stunning stonechat and bee photo.

@@xelas

What an excellent start to a report and a trip. Beautiful photos- the birds, the bush pigs , blesbok.

I am pleased that you will eat a bit more on this trip.

I look forward to following this as the journey progresses

Popcorn gone............. Need a new beer and ready for next chapter.

Great photo of waterbuck too.

@@Kitsafari , @@cheetah80 , @@TonyQ

Still in time for the opening sequencies :D ! Luckily there is no seat reservation system on Safaritalk, everyone can fit in!

To all followers: please do comment, ask, praise, criticise, ... it will make this thread just more lively ... and better :P !

@@cheetah80

And I have just re-read yours from 2013; the new design of your website is much much much better and easier for us with 8/20 vision B) . You will enjoy your upcoming trip!

@@TonyQ

Our dinners were indeed a completely different story. Unfortunately I was too preoccupied with watching the fire not to "jump out of braai" (with a cold Windhoek in hand ;) ) so no proper documentation will be posted.

@@xelas - I had gotten a couple of suggestions about making the website more readable ... and I listened :) Though it did take me a while to get to redesign the website as I take care of it myself. Glad you can enjoy the trip reports better now. I hope this September won't be cold and windy like my two previous visits in July and August.

31 January – Is This Kalahari?

The late morning started with a coffee and after Marnus drove us to the airport. The flight to Upington was on time, both departure and arrival. Pieter Nel from Kalahari 4x4 was waiting for us with out car. Exiting the airport building I have asked him about where the famous halfmens plant is located. Taking a photo of this plant was an assignment given by a travel buddy and also a member of ST, @@Chakra . Easy task for Pieter as the plant was sitting just right of the exit/enter doors of the building. Here it is:

post-47185-0-93105900-1456504716_thumb.jpg

Pieter drove us first to his office; the take over procedure could not be faster. The car looked in great shape, and it was equipped with almost brand new Michelin off road tires. With full insurance not many words were needed. The tank was already filled up so no wasting of time at the petrol station (which is literally next door).

Our room was at Affinity Guest House, a lovely position on the bank of the Orange River. Pieter told us that 2 weeks ago it rained heavily (also in Kgalagadi) and thus the river was quite full of water.

This is how the Orange River looks when full to the brim; and that view surely does not reveal that we are located in Kalahari!!

post-47185-0-26478400-1456504738_thumb.jpg

Outside was hot, 40°Celsius, and as soon as we turned the A/C on, Zvezda decided to catch up with her missing sleep hours, and I have full hands of charging the electronics, and to back-up the photos from previous birding day at Rietvlei. Around 5 pm we went to Pick'n'Pay to check if our groceries etc order is ready. Goodies were already packed in two trolleys, plus the rest in the freezer. We decided to pick them up early next day. So we have time for the river cruise with Sakkie Se Arkie http://www.arkie.co.za .

post-47185-0-42047300-1456504754_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-19657500-1456504768_thumb.jpg

It was less hot on the river, the cruise itself was very relaxed, and fun. There were usually bird suspects on the river and along it yet we didn't bother with taking photos. Only when I have spotted a white speck on the branch high above the bank of the river, we pull the camera out. We have spotted our first African Fish Eagle! Unfortunately from a distance only as it did flew away when the boat approached his tree.

African Fish Eagle

post-47185-0-11292900-1456504785_thumb.jpg

With the gear already at hand, some more photos were taken. Only this Egyptian Geese taking-off from the river is worthy to be shown here.

Egyptian Geese

post-47185-0-81041000-1456504801_thumb.jpg

We cruised up and then down and at the sunset time we stopped and some brave folks went to swim while we enjoyed Mojo jar and sunset! Zvezda's favourite moment comes, the sunset. Here is the longer sequence (with a "special moment" for a special friend ;) )

post-47185-0-82015700-1456504819_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-50039800-1456504836_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-86330900-1456504914_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-50752500-1456504863_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-87799200-1456504884_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-14650200-1456504900_thumb.jpg

Lovely second day. Although with colours and views that we have not expected. "Expect the unexpected" was one of the lessons of last year trip, and it was repeated again this year.

Edited by xelas

Indeed, not what I expected from a Kalahari trip. Boat trips? Drop-dead-gorgeous-water-sunsets? Great stuff! Why is that peculiar little plant famous?

Indeed the Kalahari looks very unlike the kalahari there!

Beautiful sunset series.

What a beautiful part of the world. As others say quite unlike the mental images we all have of the thirsty Kalahari.

Full of suspense in the true Hitchcock manner when even he could not resist a walk on part. :blink:

@@xelas

Wow, you are fast in getting started on your trip reports -- and we are all the better for it!

The photo of the red bishop is just fantastic. Bush pigs!?! Amazing. Love the sunsets, too.

Ha! I know. There have been so many great reports lately that I've been doing too much reading and dreaming and not enough writing and editing. But now that I'm (deservedly) shamed, I have no good excuse to not get going.

Maybe I can set up a work/reward system for myself: I have to write a post in my report before I'm allowed the pleasure of reading one of yours.....

Edited by Alexander33

To all birders out there !

The Ant-eating Chat looks more like a Lark. Please do help me with proper ID! Thank You All In Advance!

Edited by xelas