South Africa March 2016 Klaserie and Timbavati

elefromoz

@@elefromoz - please excuse me from going off topic but I need to ask @@Atravelynn to expand on "the Cubs pre-game show". Which sport and where etc?

Edited by Caracal

@@elefromoz - please excuse me from going off topic but I need to ask @@Atravelynn to expand on "the Cubs pre-game show". Which sport and where etc?

Of course, how short sighted of me. It is a baseball team: the Chicago Cubs. They have a bear cub for their mascot. I was so shocked that the David Bowie song came on right as I was typing about David Bowie that I failed to explain about the Cubs!

@@elefromoz might also have been perplexed without the explanation, so thank you for the opportunity to clarify the coincidence. I have not heard of a team called the Wild Dogs, but that would be a nice mascot.

@@pomkiwi,

@@elefromoz Nice to catch up with the wild dogs (unless you are a steenbok). I have heard a baby rhino squeaking (although not as young as yours I think) - this was in the Sabi Sands when mum and baby were standing in a waterhole - it was impossible for the youngster to feed without diving under the surface.

Oh that is funny, but just not fair

@@Atravelynn, David Bowies "Golden years", you see, you see, Divine intervention, must be all true. Spooky nevertheless.

@@michael-ibk, @@deano, Yep, Rhino before dinner and Dogs before breakfast....too lucky. And a Dog carrying around a Steenbok head, none of my friends could possibly understand how "special" that was.

@@dlo, crushed by your Bee Gees comment, don't judge a book by its cover -_-

Love the hyenas on the last page, especially the one open-jawed head sticking out of the ground, but I'm really blown away by the photos of the termites and their predators.

@@Marks, thanks, all sorts of surprising stuff going on out there.

@@dlo, thanks for the vid, you're forgiven

And one for the Hyena fan club members

gallery_49445_1503_210054.jpg

Some spas charge extra for those kind of mud baths.

• 2 weeks later...

Great trip report thanks Ele.

A lovely sighting of the baby rhino (and mother!). And how good of the wild dogs to show up on your last drive!