PeterHG's year

PeterHG

144. - Red-breasted Goose (1-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands). At quite a distances, but happy to get a shot of this rarity.

i-VNHjdgN-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG

Almost like you have a Birds In Flight Big Year !! One need to be an experienced bird photographer to get so many so in-focus BIF photos. Congratulations!

145. - Common Tern (2-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands)

i-CVNcqQr-XL.jpg

146. - Bearded Reedling (2-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands)

i-Pc5zPxj-XL.jpg

147. - Fulvous Whistling Duck (2-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands). Another immigrant that seems to have settled in small numbers. First time I saw them here, though.

i-3TW2tV5-XL.jpg

148. - House Martin (2-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands)

i-gkfb24P-XL.jpg

149. -Common Pheasant (2-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands).

i-rBDnqbf-XL.jpg

150. - Western Jackdaw (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands)

i-3b3L22w-XL.jpg

151. - Sandwich Tern (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands). With a present for a prospective partner, I suppose

i-X3ZrdqK-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG

More brilliant photos - I really admire the House Martin shot - they move so quickly and almost randomly that you have done really well to get such a shot.

I have not heard of the Bearded Reedling - a beauty!

Peter Connan

More incredible photography, well done Peter!

And thanks for all the additional information.

You are getting perrilously close, i had better pull my socks up!

I have some catching up to do! And I've reached my like limit for the day so just know that I mentally liked them all :)

152. - Little Egret (5-5-2016, Petten, the Netherlands) Both the Great and the Little Egret have made quite a comeback over the last decades.

i-Rj9WLJz-X2.jpg

153. - Northern Wheatear (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands)

i-rLB8SHJ.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

154. - Whimbrel (5-5-2016, Petten Netherlands) Only here on migration. A shorter bill, with a less gradual curve than the Curlew

i-WrkJF5s-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

155. - Bar-tailed Godwit (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands) Another migratory wader

i-jVHjkLM-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

156. Eurasian Oystercatcher (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands) Some leucitic elements, I guess.

i-7zwgsGj-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

157. - Pied Avocet (5-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands). Still quite common in certain areas. Their elegance never ceases to amaze me.

i-D2rq4t5-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

158. Common Starling (7-5-2016, Petten, Netherlands). Common, but still beautiful when their feathers catch a bit of sun.

i-TkDzrwM-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

159. - Great Spotted Woodpecker (9-5-2016, Leusden, Netherlands) I was looking for the Black Woodpecker then, which I saw briefly, but no picture...

i-wBM46fF-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

160. Bullfinch (9-5-2016, Leusden, Netherlands). I've only seen it on a few occasions and I'm still waiting for a good photo. Even though I had good views in the bins of this beautiful bird.

i-fmgfTpJ.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

161. - Common Snipe (17-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands)

i-35V9rF4-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

162. - Common Redshank (17-5-2016, Arkemheen, Netherlands) Ok, I've caught up with where I am now. No new species over the last few weeks, so I'll slow down considerably in my postings :)

i-SDVzHW3-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

One of the fun things (apart from enjoying all the contributions from various places) of the Big Birding Year thread is that I would never have realized I already photographed 162 species this year. Suddenly makes this year brighter, in spite of the grey days we are having right now :)

Peter Connan

More beautiful contributions Peter!

Particularly the Avocet. I have never seen one close-up, especially in flight. The back markings are beautiful!