Zvezda & Alex Big Year 2016 - first attempt

xelas

Moving now towards the big guys! This one is quite common and can be seen also frequently in Slovenia.

171. White Stork - Ciconia ciconia - Bela štorklja

post-47185-0-29619100-1467041897_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

BBIF

post-47185-0-62992200-1467041900_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

This one, OTOH is quite rare! If I remember well, only 2 couples are nesting in Kopački Rit, so we were surprised, and unprepared when we saw this one standing by the road close to the town of Osijek. Before I prepare the camera the bird already took off; we did follow it for a while but being on a road with frequent traffic did nothing to ease Zvezda (and mine) task of getting a decent photo.

172. Black Stork - Ciconia nigra - Črna štorklja

post-47185-0-25513300-1467042260_thumb.jpg

19/06/16 - Kopački Rit

And now the section with birds of prey!! Much closer and willing to pose:

173. Goshawk - Acipiter gentilis - Kragulj

Ready ...

post-47185-0-91548800-1467042594_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Steady ...

post-47185-0-29529400-1467042601_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Go!

post-47185-0-00138900-1467042608_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

michael-ibk

Wow, what a good, close sighting of the Goshawk - excellent shots. And a Black Stork? Double-Wow!

Edit: On second thought, is that really a Goshwak?

Edited by michael-ibk

Further away but still within reasonable distances soaring above:

174. Marsh Harrier

Left turn

post-47185-0-82057400-1467042796_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Right turn

post-47185-0-52585500-1467042799_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

And the undisputed monarch of the marshlands! There are around 60 pairs nesting around Kopački Rit, the highest concentration in Europe. However not that easy to come closer.

175. White-tailed Eagle

Rulling from above

post-47185-0-06911900-1467043153_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Guarding the nest

post-47185-0-13184000-1467043161_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

High in the air

post-47185-0-28035600-1467043164_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Landing on a tree far far away

post-47185-0-80901600-1467043181_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Saying Goodbye

post-47185-0-00663700-1467043185_thumb.jpg

18/06/16 - Kopački Rit

Fascinating birds! To my eye much bigger than either Tawny or Bateleur. But they do tend to keep away from people. Even in a private boat guide has had problems to come closer without being noticed.

@@xelas

What a great catch by Zvevda, that flight shot of the Little Bittern! I saw two flying by in the Ebro Delta, but my age showed there! Beautiful eagle shots, too. They are quite impressive, even at a distance.

@@michael-ibk

Thanks! Pretty much sure (as I can be). Northern Goshawk, to be precise, and a not so juvenile female, IMO. I have found several very similar specimens here: http://ru.naturephoto.lt/fotografija/vistvanagis_accipiter_gentilis_5

But I can also be wrong. It will not be neither for the first time neither for the last time. Learning by errors :rolleyes: .

@@PeterHG

There were 3 photos altogether; 2 dudes and one passable. I would love to come closer to eagles! While the ones on the tree were at, say, reasonable distance say 100 meters, the second two are 100% crops. I have difficulties to see the eagle with binoculars (8x42)!

Edited by xelas

michael-ibk

I was just thinking it does not seem to have the bright yellow (or sometimes orange) eyes the Goshawks in my bird book (and also in that link) seem to have. But since I have never seen a Goshawk myself I´m hardly an expert on the subject. :)

Yeah, the eyes. They are bothering me also. But all other signs ... Maybe @@Galana will throw a hint or two here??

Edited by xelas

<Maybe @Galana will throw a hint or two here??>

I have to say my first reaction was the same as Michael. Then I followed your link and thought "OK. Maybe! The colouring is about right!"

But as Michael follows up with there is something about that head that does not ring true. Too rounded and Buzzard like and the eye is not the deadly yellow glare of an Accipiter.

Love the WT Eagles. I am just back from watching them in the Hebrides where the are dong very well again. Flying Barn doors. The adults in the final three really show the bird well.

To get close go to Hebrides and take a certain boat out. Throw some fish and they come for it. http://www.mullcharters.com/

OK, the pattern is there. The glare in the eye not. What is the verdict then??

Puffins, WT Eagles, Hebrides, Scotland, hmmm where to insert all these beauties???

We leave it as your call unless and until somebody with a better reason comes along.

michael-ibk

Maybe a Rough-Legged Buzzard? Just a thought...

Sadly I am coming to the conclusion that it is "just" a common Buzzard. They are very variable in their plumage. :huh:

Rough legged B have no bars on the tail.

I don't want it to be just a Common Buzzard :angry::(:unsure::wacko::blink: ! It was such a nice bird, and so willing to co-operate ... deserves better than just Buteo Buteo :lol: !

Here below is the list of all birds of prey that are reported in Kopački Rit so pick one that is NOT Common Buzzard, please ....

Not really. However I do have problems with Common Buzzard. Never saw this pattern, both on legs and on breasts and on underwings; maybe the eyes were just an anomaly? Or in the shade?? Or I can put the photo through the PS and make them more yellow :D ???

Pandion haliaetus

jastrebac cipolaš

Pernis apivorus

škanjac osaš

Milvus milvus

crvenkasta lunja

Milvus migrans

crnkasta lunja

Haliaeetus albicilla

orao štekavac

Gyps fulvus

bjeloglavi sup

Aegypius monachus

sup starješina

Circaetus gallicus

orao zmijar

Circus aeruginosus

eja močvarica

Circus cyaneus

eja strnarica

Circus macrourus

stepska eja

Circus pygargus

eja livadarka

Accipiter nisus

kobac ptičar

Accipiter gentilis

jastreb kokošar

Buteo buteo

škanjac mišar

Buteo lagopus

škanjac gaćaš

Buteo rufinus

riđi škanjac

Aquila pomarina

orao kliktaš

Aquila clanga

orao klokotaš

Aquila heliaca

orao krstaš

Aquila chrysaetos

suri orao

Hieraaetus pennatus

patuljasti orao

Falco naumanni

bjelonokta vjetruša

Falco tinnunculus

vjetruša klikavka

Falco vespertinus

vjetruša kopčić

Falco columbarius

sokol krahuljčić

Falco subbuteo

sokol grlaš

Falco cherrug

sokol golubaš

Falco peregrinus

sivi sokol

Pandion haliaetus Not an Osrey.

Pernis apivorus Not a Honey Buzzard

Milvus milvus Not a Red Kite

Milvus migrans Not a Black Kite

Haliaeetus albicilla Not White tailed Eagle.

Gyps fulvus Not a Griffon

Aegypius monachus Not a Black Vulture

Circaetus gallicus Not a Harrier.

Circus aeruginosus

Circus cyaneus

Circus macrourus

Circus pygargus

Accipiter nisus We don't think it has Accipiter's eyes.

Accipiter gentilis

Buteo buteo

Buteo lagopus No bars on tail.

Buteo rufinus A rarity in location.

Aquila pomarina Not an Aquila. Wrong beak.

Aquila clanga

Aquila heliaca

Aquila chrysaetos

Hieraaetus pennatus It is a possibility

Falco naumanni Not a falcon.

Falco tinnunculus

Falco vespertinus

Falco columbarius

Falco subbuteo

Falco cherrug

Falco peregrinus

So as Sherlock Holmes used to say when you have eliminated all the impossibilities what you have left, however improbable, must be the correct one. :wub:

@@xelas

As a person very new to bird identification - I would have identified it as a Juvenile Female Goshawk.

I have never seen one, and am not experienced at looking at the variety of birds of prey. I would not qualify as an "Expert Witness" :)

But yours looks like the picture in my book (RSPB Handbook of British Birds).

@@tony. It is Xelas' list and he can call it as I have said (but doubts have been raised)

I also have that RSPB Book and the illustration is good except two things are noteworthy.

Xelas' photos show barring on the flanks/thighs which the Goshawk does not have, even in that illustration.

Posters, xelas included, have commented on the eyes.

I quote from the description in that book "Close to, yellow eyes and white 'eyebrow' create a fierce expression.

The subject bird looks as though it would not steal a baby's milk. It is looking very kindly at Zvezda. (As it should!)

Edited by Galana

This is becoming very interesting! So to further involve @@Galana , @@michael-ibk , @@PeterHG , @@TonyQ and everyone else I am adding additional photos of # 173. Goshawk - Acipiter gentilis - Kragulj (???) for more in-depth analyses and comments on specifics:

Head and eye 1:1 close-up

post-47185-0-79289900-1467138837_thumb.jpg

Legs and claws 1:1

post-47185-0-91866000-1467138848_thumb.jpg

Close-up of left underwing pattern

post-47185-0-47248000-1467138831_thumb.jpg

Back side pattern

post-47185-0-53281700-1467138843_thumb.jpg

Right wing extended

post-47185-0-42054300-1467138854_thumb.jpg

In the flight from behind

post-47185-0-33814100-1467138859_thumb.jpg

Standing on the ground 1:1

post-47185-0-50057300-1467138866_thumb.jpg

Looks like a buzzard to me (juvenile)

michael-ibk

Whatever it is, it was a great sighting. :)

As a non-expert witness I will say that it is a beautiful bird and I would be thrilled with such a sighting - Goshawk or Buzzard!

And beautifully photographed....

As others. It is a lovely set of photographs whatever the subject matter. Buteo buteo are very variable in plumage, even from moult to moult. In Galloway last month a gentleman drew my attention to a very light coloured raptor on a fence. We had all the books out and scratched our heads sore. Ran the whole list from Booted Eagle to Rough Legged and Long-legged Buzzards. Then the reserve warden came by. "Oh that! Its a leucistic Common Buzzard. Been around for a few weeks now." Ho hum!

OK I got it! I am moving on. As for the pointing, I am deducting one point for the "technical merit", and adding one point for "presentation" :ph34r: .