Chakra

https://youtu.be/O-WcJUCQy5k

The video of Rainbow Men at Augrabies, credit to my other half ! Watch out for Mr Speedy Gonzales at 0:20 plucking flies from thin air. No lady can resist his moves !!

Edited by Chakra

Love the pancakes! think they will extend franchises to all the lodges in KNP?

Sorry to hear about the fines, but that sunset brought out the romantic in you! stunning sunsets, with accompanying lyical lines. :)

i may have missed it - but how long was this trip? it sounds like a real long safari.

@@Kitsafari : Thanks. the whole trip was for 23 days. Kruger 5 nights. I started writing at ST about experince from day 9 after spending 3 days at Livingstone and 6 days at Cape town.

The main reason of staying at Talamati and Biyamitty was their intimate nature, small size and location in game rich areas. I had booked sunset drives beforehand, but probably there is no need to book unless you are in pick holiday times and are a big party. I personally feel sunset drive is the best as it gives you best of both and you are not allowed to drive on your own after sunset. The night drive can be quite boring and a lot depends on the person who is scanning the bush with the lights. Many a times I screamed in excitement only to be told that was a jumping bushbaby. And the drives are totally unpredictable. On first night at Talamati we saw qute a few but on the second night I actually fell asleep as we didn't manage to spot anything at all.

So here are some shots from the sunset drives around Talamati :

26408512150_bb438c3239_b.jpg

26681919045_2ce3a2a72b_b.jpg

The Resident Leopard

26077907043_544b2c8a6d_b.jpg

26077931713_8d7cae4d72_b.jpg

Leopard's meal : from quite a distance

26588934402_59fa037714_b.jpg

Juvenile Southern Hornbills

26588537552_d7c9683108_b.jpg

26077350093_83b4fb1dbb_b.jpg

Always a hit with me even after seeing these many times

26077296933_f47bccce19_b.jpg

And of course Mr Scops

Sometimes you take a series of shots literally in the dark, from a moving car on a gravel road hopping along, shaky hands with no time to change camera settings and the light held by a child focusing on everything else other than on your subject !
And you hope for the best, praying that at least one photo comes out decent.
This was one of those situations.

21883405852_c929f2b544_b.jpg

Quite satisfied, we returned to our lovely cottage to have a dinner and just could not ignite the gas cooker. The reception was closed. Went ot our neighbours who were having a Braii. A very nice SA gentleman called Raul came to check the cooker out and confirmed that I was not stupid, the ignition switch was indeed broken. Thankfully plenty of smokers around so borrowed a matchbox and managed to have a meal. Next morning reported the fault to reception and the lady just asked me to buy a matchbox for one rand from her. That's clearly a racket :P :P :P I left the matchbox for the next guest.

So we got ready for the morning self drive. I forced my wife to drive so that I could take the mind-blowing shots and just literally 20 feet outside the camp gate we encountered our first pride of lions. I had not even set my lenses ready, the telephoto was still in the bag and the lions really took me by surprise. It was quite a big pride. I was clearly not happy with wife's driving skills and positioning the car. She was even trying to take a video in the middle of all these. I'll post the video here as she had already posted that in a public forum to humiliate me. In the middle of the recording I'm cursing, but in my mother tongue so hopefully you guys won't understand.

But you can clearly hear me pleading her to move the car for a better view.

The lions probably had a meal last night and their manes were tinged red. They all crossed the road and then had a quick sip from the semi-dry waterhole at Talamati.

Fabulous experince and what a way to start the day !!

26615679681_5da570b52d_b.jpg

26681561855_8e42c65fdf_b.jpg

And here comes that amazing video taken by my wife while driving, shouting at me and positioing the car and following the pride with her camcorder. This is called multitasking ! I really liked the one particular lioness who took keen interest in us and watched us for a while. The slow wag of the tail : so menacing. Lioness inside the car and outside the car as well !!

https://youtu.be/ONyJFHREyZM

Edited by Chakra

That's a lot better than "decent" :)

I'm just boasting a little :lol: :lol:

Want some more of my wife's Oscar winning cinematography ? Here are some more. She shares her Birthday with none other than Steven Spielberg. You can see the similarities <_< <_<

@@Chakra wow that's a lot of lions and sub adults! great that your wife managed to tape the action. that lioness was distracted by you and your wife, and probably recognised it in her own "discussion" with the pride male!

towards the end of the second tape, the adults seem to be fleeing from something - what was it?

@@Chakra

towards the end of the second tape, the adults seem to be fleeing from something - what was it?

Well spotted Kit ! I was also disappointed that they started running away. I think it was because of a herd of buffalos approaching the dwindling waterhole. Tempers were frayed at the time of severe draught.

For my KNP planning I'm hugely indebted to this site , which I think I should share. This is clearly not a government site and has links to other businesses but I think they have a wealth of info freely available for everyone.

For Talamati/Central region they suggested a few routes which I followed

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Kruger_National_Park_Bush_Lodges_&_Camps-travel/talamati-camp_location.html

Top Ten suggestion for self drives in KNP :

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Krugerpark_Travel_Guide-travel/explore-kruger-top-10-kruger-park-self-drives.html

The Sanparks Map and booklet were also very good value for money fro 40 rands.

I took the gravel loop road around Talamati couple of times and once drove all the way to Sweni and Nwantesi along S126. This route was supposedly good for predators although we didn't see many apart from two lionesses who had their belly full and refused to get up.

But what I liked was the diversity of the fauna, large number of antelopes and ellies and variety of birds. We had prepared our sandwiches so we did not have any proper lunch break but did have some coffee at lovely Nwantesi view point.

What I intensely dislike is the pushing and shoving among drivers to see wildlife and people who boast about their viewings. Thankfully the first one happenened only once ( I'm sure it'll be more frequent in school holidays) and there were a few who had to let others know in the picnic site talimh among them very loudly, "That Leopard just followed US for a mile !!" while others sadly munched their lunch.

I was very happy to see what I had seen.

My mornings were wonderful, sippping the first cup of coffee while my friend came to say hello to me. I talked to him about Rudyard Kipling's famous tale about his Indian cousin Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and he told me about his enemy the Mamba !!

Here he is next to my chair

26073860584_55f93d2732_b.jpg

Here he is warming up in the sun !

26615468711_5830b619cb_b.jpg

The Resident Marshal Eagle at talamati

26654762626_6ef02955dd_b.jpg

The Nest

26588668922_450f38958e_b.jpg

Detox and Mud Bath : costs £200 in Chelsea. The waterholes were nearly dry and I was sad to see their plight !

26408033050_d373a6572d_b.jpg

I waited for ten minutes : he just didn't get up !

26654308706_eede94940c_b.jpg

26680291345_db67b1aa54_b.jpg

What Antelope is this ?

26654084506_40e21f23f6_b.jpg

A huge Kudu. It'll take ten lions to bring him down !

26407661510_2f97de8d5d_b.jpg

26614806371_4673c1a8f6_b.jpg

Clearly there is someone resting there , but refused to get up

26614741791_a524b5c740_b.jpg

Lazy idiot, I gave up after ten minutes !!

26614701721_311c7e9e3a_b.jpg

26653886636_aac72318fe_b.jpg

Edited by Chakra

michael-ibk

Sable! :-)

I think that's a Common Duiker.

Thanks Michael , I thought so as well, but not entirely sure. Yes that is one lazy Sable !!

@@Chakra

Haven't I told you never to leave the cabin without your camera at ready

You were there at peak Flower Power color time. Whether individual petals or a full blooming field, you captured it all. Your 16 year old is not the only one spellbound by the carpets of flowers. The animal-in-the-flower-patch shots are especially appealing. Your rainbow extends extend to the lizards and night skies! A quote from none less than Rabindranath Tagore, the first Indina Nobel laureate in literature, is very fitting to describe your evening sunset skies. The eye condition you demonstrate via the twigs through the sunset shot is lovely, but something I'd prefer to avoid.

Sorry about your ticket and the cumbersome process to pay it. If it is 400 rand for speeding I wonder how much it would have been for practicing yoga midroad? The cartwheels would probably have drawn only a verbal warning.

Do you have the exact dates of your travel? Sorry if I missed it. I can just imagine you and your wife anxiously monitoring the weather and calling the Flower Hotline. Thanks for sharing the disappointing results from that. The fickleness of the blooms that are so tied to night rains and the right temps does make a trip like yours a gamble, even more of a gamble than trying to see certain wildlife species. If a sacrificing chocolate is the only way to ensure the floral panorama you got, I may be losing interest, unless the duration of the sacrifice is minimal. How long did your wife abstain?

After all of your planning, and the precarious conditions that can make or break this trip, you had to be thrilled with the results. This a very informative report on the floral phenomenon that I have heard about in South Africa. Beautiful photos! Entertaining as well! Thank you for sharing your most fortunate experience with the flora of South Africa.

@@Atravelynn : Thank you very much for your kind words and nice to chat with you again after our Namibia TR. I only practice Yoga in the middle of the road where traffick cops never venture ! Chocolate and Wine are two very important things in our lives. I think the plan was to give up from beginning of year to the date of tarvel; but I gave up the effort shotly after Lent, wife probably continued a little longer. ;) ;)

Regarding the dates : We started on 15th August with Vic falls, arrived at Cape Town on 18th August, satyed there for 6 nights, West Coast on 24th August, Namaqua 25-26th August, Richtersveld 27-28th, Augrabies 29th, Blyde canyon 30th and then 5 nights in Kruger.

Yes I was indeed fortunate with the flowers !

Thanks for the dates. I had thought that Sept was the peak flower time in South Africa. All of your research must have indicated it was earlier since you arrived mid-August. Between your planning, the unhelpful callls to the flower hotline, the centerline yoga, a few cartwheels, and no chocolate and wine, you managed to hit the bull's eye for the flower show! You and Moses timed it right!

To compliment the flora aspect of the trip 5 nights in Kruger had to be great for the fauna. Will check that out next.

Giving up chocolate from the beginning of the year to the travel date? Oh dear, I thought maybe you gave it up for the flight over and your arrival day. Guess I'd chose to give up wine, then. Or maybe Jack Daniel's for life.

On to Kruger...

Love the mudbath. It's hard to get a unique perspective on the impala, but you did it. The lion paw is clever. Kind of a tease shot.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn : Thanks very much and now you have given me the opportunity to me impress you with my vast knowledge of the flora of South Africa <_<

The flowers of Northern Cape range from the extreme north bordering Richtersveld, then the Karoo biosphere, Clanwilliam area and all the way to Cape Town. They follow Rain and Sun. The Norhern areas like Springbok, Goegap will flower much earlier than West Coast NP. Usually in the North it starts by Mid-August and done by September , while West Coast is just starting in August.

One good guess is to find when Clanwilliam is holding its famous Flower Festival. I found that in 2015 they were starting it on 25th August so I thought it'd be a safe bet to be there around that time.

I also had to time precisely for the Vic falls and my longtime ambition of sitting on the Devil's Armchair and usually they open it by mid-August. So I arrived at the Flower route by 3/4th week of August. I think if you are starting from Northern End then you can start in mid-August but not if starting from the soutrhern end, it'll be too cold in mid-August.

It is a big gamble.

Give up JD : that's rubbish . Move to the Water of Life : start with Talisker !!

I feel sorry for the poor Impalas : they have got a big Macdonald sign at their bums: everyone goes for them.

post-48433-0-37242500-1467138474_thumb.jpg

I also appear to have an enjoyable relation with antelopes and deer. They love my jokes !

Do you agree this one is laughing at my jokes ?

post-48433-0-01462400-1467138559_thumb.jpg

And this one was in Assam, India. She had the audacity to stick out her toungue at me !!

post-48433-0-85529300-1467139420_thumb.jpg

Eagle-eyed Peter had kindly pointed out that in my haste I got mixed up between eagles. That was definitely not a Martial eagle.

I guess this one is ?

post-48433-0-04062700-1467139072_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chakra

Here are some more pics from the Talamati area

God was busy building the toilet while all the animals waited outside. Once finished, God came out and told them, "Just wait for five more minutes. The paint is still wet." All the animals waited patiently, but the Water-buck was desperate and he sneaked in, sat on the toilet seat and did the business.
Little did he know that the freshly painted Toilet Seat had left a lovely impression on his bottom which he will carry forever, making him the Butt of all the jokes !
Here is one impatient Water-buck with his "Toilet Seat" butt.

post-48433-0-99595300-1467141548_thumb.jpg
post-48433-0-31221300-1467141425_thumb.jpg
The Monday Morning feeling
post-48433-0-43281000-1467140509_thumb.jpg
The Eternal Bond of Trust and Affection
post-48433-0-75479300-1467140577_thumb.jpg
post-48433-0-15696300-1467140674_thumb.jpg
post-48433-0-95703600-1467140678_thumb.jpg
How many Zebras are there ?
post-48433-0-70826900-1467140685_thumb.jpg
I have seen this behaviour of elephnats digging dry water bed with uncanny accuracy to obtain water. I saw one of them kneling down in totally dry river bed and watched her for ten minutes. Success at last !
26075027534_e91fe78eb2_b.jpg
26654126646_6469a2e50f_b.jpg

@@Chakra

Talisker is a good starting point indeed!

I have had my share of troubles with ID of any bird that is not very different however to my limited knowledge the first one is a Tawny Eagle, and the second one is a Martial Eagle.

BTW did Marshall Eagle emerged after the second or third Talisker :P ?

On day 3 we started our drive towards Lower Sabie. I took so many detours along gravel roads that I honestly can't remember what I saw where. Of course the large pride near Tshokwane I remember as I did get a taste of the infamous Kruger jam there.

post-48433-0-66619000-1467142539_thumb.jpg

The Lion pride

26614463921_7c717dd8c5_b.jpg

26407230120_cb34f55db6_b.jpg

26407203470_c7c5fc49de_b.jpg

Help with ID please

26076330783_69b9c67b97_b.jpg

Coucal but what sub-species ?

post-48433-0-37449800-1467143288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chakra

michael-ibk

That's a Green Wood Hoopoe - and a beautiful photo of one.

And a Burchell's Coucal.

Edited by michael-ibk

Nothing feels better than a successful chase, after tripping over bushes, ripping shirts with thorns and getting bitten by bugs.

This idiot had developed such a long tail to impress his girlfriends, that the tail was hiding most of the times behind twigs. And as my wife says, "If you can't see the eyes then it's no good!"

African Paradise Flycatcher prefers to stay inside dense bushes and clearly has ADHD, not keeping still for a second !!!

Whole tail and eyes in one frame was one of the most difficult jobs !

Near Nkumbe picnic spot

27214617434_153a0f5dd7_b.jpg

27792417876_5a9d73ecaa_b.jpg

27792408346_0356f5b608_b.jpg

27792376246_366cd40ce3_b.jpg

michael-ibk

Very nice sighting of the male!

God was busy painting the little ones and every one was waiting patiently. The Little Barbet with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) could not sit still even for a second !

So after some time he flew off to chase some worms.

Because of his ADHD he also had problem with time keeping. He just hopped along happily for many hours and realised at sunset that he still needed his colours.

Oh No ! God had finished painting everyone and He was washing his paintbrushes in the river.

Little Barbet burst out crying. Now he has to stay Black & White all his life, while Lilac Breasted Roller would flash his wings to all the birders in Facebook.

God took pity on him and said , "Don't worry little Barbet. Let me see what I can do, so that you can get your photo in Facebook "

God then took his paint brushes out of the water and just splashed whatever paint was left in the brushes, mixed with water. The effect was actually not bad.

And to please him more God gave him a little crest as well : Crested Barbet !!

Every time I see this little one it looks like he has just returned from celebrating the Indian festival of colour : " Holi". This is one of Sujata 's favourite bird.

Sometimes I want a 800 mm prime lens to capture the minute details of God's exquisite handiwork. This was one of those times. But no camera can ever capture the beauty of God's creation in its full glory, only my eyes and my mind can.

A colourful offspring of my Dark Mother to brighten up my dull, cold, rainy, grey English Spring. How I miss you, my Dark Mother.

Story : plagiarized from some ancient mythology.

26489522232_fb76beb8cf_b.jpg

That African Paradise Flycatcher is truly a magnificent bird!