@@michael-ibk

Thank you for a superb report - very engaging writing and excellent photos throughout.

You really had a wonderful last morning - and could you ask for a better sighting of a Brown Hyena?

You really did see a great variety of wildlife - and I look forward to the additions to your Big Year Thread.

And of course gorillas......

What great read this has been, @@michael-ibk! Right up to the last day, with wonderful sightings and great photos. An impressive list of mammals and, no doubt, we'll see quite a few bird additions in the Big Year thread. We will be visiting the Cape area, Augrabies and the Kgalagadi for the first time next January/February ( though we've been to SA a few time before) and your excellent report means the next months will pass slowly...:)

@@michael-ibk Thank-you for such a detailed report and the images. It was a pleasure to read.

Towlersonsafari

What a splendid report, thanks very much, and lovely photos! I really think that the KTP is our favourite place in south Africa for its beautyand wildlife .But as you say, Cape town is a wonderful place to stay for a while, and there are so many other areas to explore!

thanks again!

This has been a really enjoyable trip report, lots of excellent pictures from you both.

And what a brilliant last day!!

Thanks @@michael-ibk and @@AndMic, another cracker of a report and fantastic photos. That Puff Adder is terrifying and all those Birds of Prey just magnificent.

@@michael-ibk Not much more to add but brillant trip Report.

Everything was First Class, photos super impessive mate, well done.

Even my computer added to the suspense. Having just read what was it in the open and in daylight? my computer froze!!

Fantastic last day/morning. SA and the Kgalagadi really gave you a tremendouse send off.

Having reached 'The End' I really think we should be able to report TRs for just being too good :) :)

But seriously, thank you @@michael-ibk and @@AndMic for another outstanding trip report. Heaven knows what you will telling us about after the gorilla trip (no pressure guys! :))

Edited by CaroleE

Another excellent report as usual @@michael-ibk and some really fine photography possibly you're best yet! Looking forward to seeing some gorillas from you're camera lens which will be an amazing experience for you. Looking at the countdown of 107 days reminds me that mine is at 82!

You got your brown hyena! And in daylight, with a lion no less! I am delighted for you, and so thrilled to have seen it through your eyes. (I also really like @@AndMic's meerkat choice -- such interesting little faces they have!)

The honey badger is amazing, just amazing in the daytime, and I don't think I ever mentioned how much I love your pronking pictures. Thanks so much to you and @@AndMic for this really pleasurable and informative report as well as your gorgeous pictures.

Looking forward to reading about the gorillas!

The end already?! Makes me look forward to our trip even more (5 weeks tomorrow) and I hope we manage to find a leopard too....

Many thanks for the TR

The end already?! Makes me look forward to our trip even more (5 weeks tomorrow) and I hope we manage to find a leopard too....

Many thanks for the TR

That's a coincidence @@Tdgraves we leave 4 weeks today!

Many thanks for the TR

@@penolva will we coincide? (Can PM to avoid hijacking this TR if you like)

Many thanks for the TR

@@penolva will we coincide? (Can PM to avoid hijacking this TR if you like)[/quote

Yes please send your dates in pm Pen

Alexander33

@@michael-ibk

What an amazing last drive. The cheetah in that beautiful morning light, and then the brown hyena -- in daylight, and with lion interaction? Fantastic. Unforgettable. What a send off!

I've certainly enjoyed this report, as I do with all of yours. Although you are now a safari veteran, you still have the wonder and excitement of a first-timer, and your enthusiasm comes through, for the benefit of all of us.

I can't wait to hear about your experience in Rwanda. We are booked for next July, so I look forward to your sage advice. (Maybe I will just start following you around -- a safari stalker? :)

@@michael-ibk @@AndMic - so now I am 1001% jealous. that gorgeous brown hyena lingered so long in daylight for you both to admire and enjoy! i do hope it gets a bit of the meat from the lioness eventually.

thanks for letting us ride along with you on a thoroughly enjoyable time!

michael-ibk
On 7/31/2016 at 8:08 PM, Patty said:

Very impressive species list!

Thanks @@Patty ! Of course it would be much more impressive with Caracal, Aardvark, Pangolin and Aardwolf. And some other mammals still to "hunt" in South Africa, like Cape Grysbok, Cape Porcupine or Smith´s Red Rock Rabbit. And the Spectacled Dormouse of course.

On 7/31/2016 at 10:14 PM, SafariChick said:

Bravo - super trip report, as we have come to expect from you! What a great last drive that was - cheetah in beautiful light, and your much desired brown hyena. Very cool to see the hyena interacting with the lion and with two followers to boot! And poor little Toto - what a cutie!

And next gorillas!! I see from your profile you are counting the days!

I always do, before each trip @@SafariChick . I even considered setting all countdowns for all planned trips, but that would be a bit much.

And thanks a lot!

On 8/1/2016 at 11:52 AM, TonyQ said:

@@michael-ibk

Thank you for a superb report - very engaging writing and excellent photos throughout.

You really had a wonderful last morning - and could you ask for a better sighting of a Brown Hyena?

You really did see a great variety of wildlife - and I look forward to the additions to your Big Year Thread.

And of course gorillas......

Working on the Big Year, @@TonyQ , let´s see how much South Africa can boost my count. And thank you for your steady support.

On 8/1/2016 at 12:05 PM, PeterHG said:

What great read this has been, @@michael-ibk! Right up to the last day, with wonderful sightings and great photos. An impressive list of mammals and, no doubt, we'll see quite a few bird additions in the Big Year thread. We will be visiting the Cape area, Augrabies and the Kgalagadi for the first time next January/February ( though we've been to SA a few time before) and your excellent report means the next months will pass slowly...

Thank you, @@PeterHG , I´m sure you will have a fantastic time, what is your itinerary?

On 8/1/2016 at 12:27 PM, pomkiwi said:

@@michael-ibk Thank-you for such a detailed report and the images. It was a pleasure to read.

Thank you, @@pomkiwi , glad you liked it.

michael-ibk

"You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text"

Okok, Safaritalk software, I will use two posts then. :)

What a splendid report, thanks very much, and lovely photos! I really think that the KTP is our favourite place in south Africa for its beautyand wildlife .But as you say, Cape town is a wonderful place to stay for a while, and there are so many other areas to explore!

thanks again!

You´re welcome @@Towlersonsafari , and thank you! I agree, KTP is very special, it gets under your skin.

This has been a really enjoyable trip report, lots of excellent pictures from you both.

And what a brilliant last day!!

Thanks @@Zim Girl , we were very happy about the way the Kalahari said "Good Bye" to us. It was certainly with a "Do come back!".

Thanks @@michael-ibk and @@AndMic, another cracker of a report and fantastic photos. That Puff Adder is terrifying and all those Birds of Prey just magnificent.

Thanks, @@elefromoz . Birding is really very special in the Kalahari, and we enjoyed the variety very much. The presence of Puff Adders a bit less, but they are fascinating creatures.

@@michael-ibk Not much more to add but brillant trip Report.

Everything was First Class, photos super impessive mate, well done.

Thanks, @@Hads , I´m blushing. :)

Even my computer added to the suspense. Having just read what was it in the open and in daylight? my computer froze!!

Fantastic last day/morning. SA and the Kgalagadi really gave you a tremendouse send off.

Having reached 'The End' I really think we should be able to report TRs for just being too good :)

But seriously, thank you @@michael-ibk and @@AndMic for another outstanding trip report. Heaven knows what you will telling us about after the gorilla trip (no pressure guys! :))

I inserted a secret "freeze TR readers computers to add suspense at the right moment" into the report. Thank you @@CaroleE . Well I know I will tell you something shorter about Rwanda and Kenya in any case because there will be pretty litte time for that report since the trip after that one will already be in March.

Another excellent report as usual @@michael-ibk and some really fine photography possibly you're best yet! Looking forward to seeing some gorillas from you're camera lens which will be an amazing experience for you. Looking at the countdown of 107 days reminds me that mine is at 82!

Thanks, @@dlo , it was my first outing with the Canon eos7d, and I was happy with it. But actually, the more I know about photography the less satisfied I am with my photos - I still have lots and lots to learn. 82 definitely beeats 107. Where are you going? (I have the feeling you already mentioned that somewhere but unfortunately I forgot.)

You got your brown hyena! And in daylight, with a lion no less! I am delighted for you, and so thrilled to have seen it through your eyes. (I also really like @@AndMic's meerkat choice -- such interesting little faces they have!)

The honey badger is amazing, just amazing in the daytime, and I don't think I ever mentioned how much I love your pronking pictures. Thanks so much to you and @@AndMic for this really pleasurable and informative report as well as your gorgeous pictures.

Looking forward to reading about the gorillas!

Thanks @@hannahcat , the Hyena really was a big deal for me. When I was asking for offers from operatos basically the first thing I told everyone was "I want to see a Brown Hyena". And I love Honey Badgers, so it´s always fantastic seeing them. Curiously enough I had my best sighting in India of all places, where they are much harder to see than in Africa even. Pronking Springboks are just "Kalahari", and I´m convinced they are just doing it for the fun of it.

Many thanks for the TR

Thank you and you´re welcome, @@Tdgraves , have a fantastic trip! I´m sure you will find your Leopard - and tons of Big Year material as well.

@@michael-ibk

What an amazing last drive. The cheetah in that beautiful morning light, and then the brown hyena -- in daylight, and with lion interaction? Fantastic. Unforgettable. What a send off!

I've certainly enjoyed this report, as I do with all of yours. Although you are now a safari veteran, you still have the wonder and excitement of a first-timer, and your enthusiasm comes through, for the benefit of all of us.

I can't wait to hear about your experience in Rwanda. We are booked for next July, so I look forward to your sage advice. (Maybe I will just start following you around -- a safari stalker?

Thanks @@Alexander33 . It´s kind of weird being called a safari veteran because I definitely still feel like a "First-Time-Visitor" - that´s why I left that as my "Category 2". And it is still true - in all new places (like South Africa was for me) I am a first-timer. And I hope that enthusiasm will never wane - the whole point of safari is to be enthusiastic about it. Which is very easy.

@@michael-ibk @@AndMic - so now I am 1001% jealous. that gorgeous brown hyena lingered so long in daylight for you both to admire and enjoy! i do hope it gets a bit of the meat from the lioness eventually.

thanks for letting us ride along with you on a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Thank you, @@Kitsafari , pleasure having you along. :)

In 78 days, not that I'm counting I will be leaving for Kenya for the 4th time. This is our 10th wedding anniversary wife's 40th birthday trip matching you're 40th as well! Would have loved to met you in Kenya but unfortunately we are a bit ahead of you.

Late to catch this report but tremendously enjoying reliving in good part our trip from 2011 which took us to Cape Town, Augrabies, and Kgalagadi. Fantastic photos as always and its making me eager to return to South Africa. I'm only 1/2 through the report...just reaching Kgalagadi...can't wait to see what you found there.

Page 3

"Next stop - Antarctica!"

Perhaps not next, but I have a feeling it is on the horizon.

You did a fine job with sunbirds at Kirstenbosch. Bird of paradise, a favorite of many. Lovely shots of that exquisite flower.

"only 17 animals were left" - what at Bontebok success story from near extinction.

Augrabies Falls has so much to offer! Was falling water absent on your first visit because of the drought?

You're an eagle magnet!

The klipspringer segment was excellent, from close up to showing them in their expansive rocky environment.

Your trip was perfectly timed to be in wine country just in time to toast "no more larks."

page 6

Edited by Atravelynn

What great read this has been, @@michael-ibk! Right up to the last day, with wonderful sightings and great photos. An impressive list of mammals and, no doubt, we'll see quite a few bird additions in the Big Year thread. We will be visiting the Cape area, Augrabies and the Kgalagadi for the first time next January/February ( though we've been to SA a few time before) and your excellent report means the next months will pass slowly

Thank you, @@PeterHG , I´m sure you will have a fantastic time, what is your itinerary?

We'll be flying to Cape Town early January and leave early March (well, being retired has its advantages...:)). We'll leisurely explore the southern regions and Cape Town itself, since we've never been there before. During the last three weeks, we'll drive up to Namibia (Fish River), spend some 9 days in the Kgalagadi Park and a few in Augrabies Falls, before returning to Cape Town. We had planned a longer trip in Namibia, but it turned out too expensive for us at this stage. We're very much looking forward to our stay and trip there!

The cheetah were situated attractively in their gorgeous environment. The standing adult and baby meerkat had to make @@AndMic cheer. The ground squirrels were trying their best for some good poses too.

Then more cheetahs--4 cubs to go along with your brown hyena. Good thing you did not make a scene and get kicked off of the night drive.

That late-night night drive was tremendous. Cape Fox is exciting. What time did you get up the next morning?

Pygmy Falcon = a fine shot.

Love the springbok series!

Edited by Atravelynn

p 12

That black chested snake eagle was extremely cooperative.

I had been told to check out the Winnie the Pooh post, since Twaffle had been quoting this literary legend in her post. A WtP meme has developed on ST.

I am struck by the similarities in the teethy shots of the yellow mongoose and the lion. Just a matter of the perspective as to whether it is seen as cute or menacing.

Other than a polar bear or an ocelot, what isn't found in the Kalahari and surroundings?