Rejuvenation and Redemption in the Rainforest: Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula, January 2016

Alexander33

@@Alexander33, fantastic end to the report. Your basilisk on the tree shot is fantastic. They never seemed to hold still for us. We've been to BdC 4 times and it was only on the first trip (in Feb) that we saw baby basilisks running across the water on the pond near the tropical garden. On each return trip, we went there hoping to see them again to get better photographs, but we struck out. Just one more reason to return :)

I am glad you got to see the resident B&G Dart Frogs. I loves those little guys. I am also glad to hear that our snake video didn't cause a premature cancellation to your trip. That would have been bad because we all would have missed out on this great report and you two would have missed out on a great week in paradise (or close to it). We did see more snakes in May vs Feb due to the rains. But, the rain was mostly after dark and only interfered with night walks which we love but most guests avoid.

Finally, for what's it's worth to other readers, your descriptions and opinions about BdC and Costa Rica match our experiences spot on. You summed everything up quite nicely!

Have a great time in Brazil. I'm already looking forward to another excellent trip report :) .

@@xyz99, do try the rainy season sometime (We've done May twice). Not only did we see different animals, but the rain was never too bad, the rates are lower, and there are less guests although we never found BdC "crowded" even in Feb.

Alan

@@Alexander33, regarding the Hummingbird. How about a female Purple-crowned Fairy?

Alexander33

@@xyz99, I agree, it would be interesting to compare our experience with one during the rainy season -- just as long as it didn't rain too much. You sound like a real trooper to have been able to look back on your trip to Honduras in such a positive light. Who would have dreamed of incessant rain there in February? Thanks so much for following my report. It's been fun!

@@Kitsafari, the basilisk really did remind me of a dinosaur. Maybe some day I'll see them "walking on water."

@@xelas, thanks so much for sharing your in-depth knowledge of Costa Rica. You are a valuable resource. Yikes! on that fer-de-lance. I think it's important to note that Bosque's resident naturalist, Phil, told us that in the 25 years he's been there, not a single guest has ever been bitten by a venomous snake. And the lodge does have a protocol in place if such an unfortunate event should ever occur, so they are responsibly prepared.

I think the overall message is, "Go." Be reasonably vigilant, as you should be in any wilderness. Since we were constantly looking for wildlife and photographic opportunities at every turn, that wasn't a difficult task for us at all. Nor would it likely be for anyone who is interested and aware enough to be on this forum.

@@RichB, I hope you do end up making it to Costa Rica. It may have been our first visit, but it definitely won't be our last.

@@Atdahl, muchos gracias for your insightful observations based on your own well-hewn experience. And, yes, I think your hummingbird ID is right on the money. Female purple-crowned fairy. I'll have to go back and examine my book to figure out why I was having trouble, but look up "Purple-Crowned Fairy" on Wikipedia, and there she is, front and center. Thank you!

Edited by Alexander33

@@Alexander33 : muchas gracias Amigo. Your photos are truly stunning. I hope all the frogs are out now and they'll put up a show like the "Disneyland Parade" for me :P

If I may chip in with my experince of pre-trip planning so far. I found CR surprisingly more expensive, especially when compared to South Africa and SE Asia. It is clearly becoming more popular with North American tourists who are willing to spend a bit more money, especially as the air fare to CR is much cheaper for them, than for us travelling from Europe.

But with a little help from Xelas I managed to find accommodations below or around $100 per night for four of us in most of the places. In some places as low as $60-$80 per night and even in extremely popular places like Santa Anna/Monteverde. I completely avoided San Carlos/ Fortuna area.

Osa was an exception. I even contemplated renting one of the Bungalows at BDC which was @$250-300 per night. But found another place which looked better and cheaper at $160 per night. But even in Osa if one wants to go on a tight budget they can stay at Bolita Hostel, a good value for money.

The expenses which are really hurting me are the Private Guides. And as we are a party of four so the prices also go up. I can't just leave the kids at home !!

And the concept that Rainy Season is cheaper does not hold good any longer, specially July-August, which correspond to school holidays in Europe. I checked many hotel prices and didn't find huge savings when travelling in July.

And of course La Sirena, Corcovado : which is expensive but I do not mind spending because this place genuinely sounds like a proper rustic adventure and not just pottering around trails.

Once again many thanks for your TR.

Edited by Chakra

@@Alexander33

Thank you for a wonderful report. Your photos are superb - so redemption indeed. The practical details are very helpful.

I look forward to a Brazil report!

• 1 month later...

@Alexander33 Your unidentified butterfly in post #69 looks like one of these to me - Tiger Longwing (Heliconius hecale) [Orange, yellow, and black butterfly]

Here is the link if you wish to check it out.

http://travel.mongabay.com/costa_rica/images/cr_3981.html

Thanks for the great trip report and taking the time share your adventures with us. Your photos are spectacular!

We probably will never get to Bosque del Cabo (it seems so isolated to us) - but your stories did build anticipation and excitement for our trip to Costa Rica scheduled for next spring.

@@Terry

Be assured that Bosque del Cabo is far from being isolated! I mean, it is away from regular tourists routes and activities, but I have never had a feeling of being far away; the ocean was out there and the beach a short climb down, and a 10 minute walk took me to the road between PJ and Carate. Definitively not an isolated place for sure. And inside the property, lovely guests and wildlife galore! If within your budget, you should really try it, at least once.

Alexander33

@@Terry

Thanks for your kind words and for the butterfly ID!

I saw your Costa Rica itinerary in another post and will be most anxious to hear how your trip turns out.

We loved Costa Rica so much that we're going back early next year, first to Bosque del Cabo again, and then to Rancho Naturalista. We wanted to go to Selva Verde, too, but just didn't have sufficient time. A great excuse for yet another return trip.....