Lewa Safari Camp superb again June 2016

COSMIC RHINO

I simply adore your photos of the rhinos. As I said before, I'm happy that you're posting photos. You shouldn't underestimate your ability to take photos.

COSMIC RHINO

although I use a bridge camera , a Nikon P530 on programme setting or night landscape when it gets dark, I know that it produces a good result .

I use the higher end of the zoom range quiet a lot , look out for the landscape and what animals are doing. I am always ready and take a lot of pictures

I find sometime that I get the picture before those using an SLR does, although it is not very good at taking a whole lot of shots fast

I nearly got my dream bird photo this time, a lilac breasted roller with eles or rhinos , unfortunately it flew away the bush close to the eles as I arrived .

my mornings start the same , I get up before the wakeup call ,get dressed , start walking around to check out the look of the nearby trees, for some reason this year it tended to go from black to daylight ,missing out the wonderful hues inbetween.

Grevy's zebras, reticulated giraffe, leopard and cheetah are pure elegance and beauty.

not that I am there for food ,but it is always very good there.

the food is Italian influenced to some extent due to the family background of one of the founders of the camp, there is always a pasta dish at lunch, I get a different sauce (no meat ,soy or sugar).

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

at lunch there is always plenty of food , too much for most people to eat , although I have been told that some guests eat, eat and eat

photography is interesting , makes things better but it is not the real purpose of my travels

the white rhinos who were seen with a milk feeding baby were really close, the vehicle moved to get a better look and got stuck in a grass covered aardvark hole , the guide used the jack to get out of it , at one stage I was there on the ground looking directly on and things just continued on as if no one was there

Both plains and Grevy's zebras have distinctive birth seasons , there were a lot of young ones around in June .

zebras are born with long legs to make them less obvious to predators

COSMIC RHINO

Rhinos have always been special to me, I love them just the way they are, they are delightful , their appearance speaks of their ancient origins and their survival is vital to our real heritage ,instead of the current nonsense of the disposable consumer society.

rhinos are present in the ancient art of the CHAUVET CAVE in France (about 30,000 years old), they are painted on the rock walls in good quantity , and well preserved

rhinos speak to my soul

my heart and soul is with wild nature

Lewa has always been a very special area to me because of the way it has been looked after under stewardship, with cattle added to the wildlife , then the cattle were removed

it is a place of the heart and soul

@@COSMIC RHINO I'm so enjoying your stories on Lewa. Your TRs and others' reports make me think I shouldn't ever skip Lewa when I do go up north of Mara.

I also wanted to note how touched I am by the warm and wonderful way fellow ST-ers/safari-enthusiasts are to have jumped in so quickly to help out CR to post his pictures, especially when they have never met him in person! it kinda makes this TR a little extra special. :D

Super LEEDS

Here's some more snaps, along with CR's comments:

LEWA 2015 TREES AT DAWN.pdf - "In wonderful hues"

LEWA 2015 MALE GREVY'S ZEBRAS COMPETING FOR DOMINANCE.pdf - "They are still in the family, but these young males were already competing for future dominance and breeding. The picture was taken on higher zoom from a massive distance away, then cropped within the camera"

LEWA 2015 TREES AT DAWN.pdf

LEWA 2015 ELE AT DAWN.pdf

ELES AT DAwn.pdf

LEWA 2015 MALE GREVY'S ZEBRAS COMPETING FOR DOMINANCE.pdf

COSMIC RHINO

Having visited at around the same time of year ever time I have been notice that it is getting warmer - it would actually be ok to swim in the pool, I only used my flannel shirts to sleep in 1 night and the extra thick bed socks were never used, my hand washed socks were almost dry in 1 hour

I am more mobile than I thought ,at times I could use 1 step to get up into the land cruiser

COSMIC RHINO

PRIORITY ON VIEWING ANIMALS

once my guide asked me if I minded that the ride could be bumpy to get closer to animals , I told him that my priority was to see wildlife , well some people say no as comfort is a higher priority

Given this desire I acknowledge that some areas cannot be approached as off track driving is not allowed in places near the wetland or are too rocky and the car will be damaged

At times the guest says that they want to go closer anyway, as they have paid a lot of money to stay in the camp

others have been know to make noise to wake up sleeping animals for a better photo, this is unacceptable

COSMIC RHINO

I go out regardless of what it is like , one drive it was dull, overcast and a bit windy , and another started with 30 minutes of fog.

I wonder about 1 of the vehicles in the reserve, a land rover with roof hatches , the camp's name was not on the vehicle , well I saw the passengers sitting on the roof hatch with legs hanging down for 2 days in a row . With rough game reserve tracks , I really wonder why the guide was prepared to drive around in that dangerous manner.

This was the usual way of moving around ,riding on top of the roof all the time

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

At the end of the day getting back to the tent I would put by camera batteries on for recharge, then take in from the terrace the lovely sights of the bush going dark and the sounds of the birds and insects ,before going to dinner.

ON GUIDES

Alex told me that some visitors wrote him up as being rude in the guest book.

well I can't work them out, he is always polite ,courteous and kind.

perhaps they did not like the radio calls not being in English (there is a good reason for that ) or unreasonable requests to drive of the track being declined.

the desire to avoid again being called rude has caused him to pickup fruit peels from the picnic breakfast himself, rather than tell guests not to litter the bush

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Some people might be looking at high energy adventure cap based TV , and assume that everyone can drive anywhere under difficult conditions , crush the bush, scare of the animals and the car will never breakdown . They probably think that these things are put together without any serious problems and the presenter does it all . Well breakdowns do happen, there is a backup crew and could have to bring in serious recovery gear.

Lets call this near worship of hetic all terrain driving the Bear Grylls Topgear complex.

I want a guide who drives safely and respects the environment.

the guides I have had are skilled professionals, very knowledgeable, good communicators, great at answering questions ,very well informed and knowledgeable about all aspects of the bush , skilled,safe,and careful drivers . They are great at long distance animal spotting and superb at animal spotting.

no one could ask for a better guide than any of the guides I have had at Lewa Safari Camp,

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

I have seen the Lewa Conservancy school excursion game viewer around taking students seeing animals . This time I noticed that the teacher was wearing smart dress trousers and a silver grey sports coat.

OTHER GUESTS

Lewa Safari Camp is getting groups of better of Chinese ,who can become excited and speak loudly at a good wildlife siting, their guides try to explain that it is best to be quiet if they want the animals to stay around.

when I was there , the camp included 10 members of an extended family from Shanghai. They were not impressed with their travel agent who did not tell them about Safarilink's luggage requirements . They took large suitcases , instead of a maximum 15 kg packed into a soft bag. The initial approach was to suggest that everything could go into storage at Wilson airport, they managed to negotiate their way into having their suitcases accepted , except the guy with the largest camera gear who was only allowed to take his camera bag. They spoke excellent English and stayed for 3 days including a horse or camel excursion for everyone . Overall their trip was 10 days including Mara Peroni Lion camp and a diving location.

most of the other guests were Americans mainly from Texas and a large group tour from the Nature Conservancy , with one lady making a considerable positive impact on the local womens bead craft economy through several purchases.

there was a couple whop had their own vehicle from the Origins tour operators . I personally think it would be better to get them to book it , but use a camp vehicle. the camp guides know the reserve much better and the vehicle is a closed land cruiser the best part of 1 1/2 meters less high , which means a whole lot of standing up through the roof hatch to take photos. on their final day the afternoon drive ended at 4 30 pm, as the guide had to drive the vehicle to the Mara via Nairobi , a very long road trip for him.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

The people from the Nature Conservancy group were warm and friendly

I mentioned the case of the starkey wilderness in nth queensland where a property deverloper wanted to turn a tropical rainforest into villa accom with a marina in an area with dudongs/manatees . the mere mention of the nature conservancy buying the land resulted in government action to turn it into a national park. they were impressed by this and pleased to avoid a lot of fundraising

COSMIC RHINO

THE MAASAI APPROACH

Perhaps some of us have heard that the Maasai have a certain approach to life.

I have read something in a book and wonder how widely this applied now to those who not follow the traditional life.

I asked my guide Alex what his belief system was.

He said that he believe that god gave the animals to the Maasai to take special care of , he said that he is also a Christian .

he believes in the care of poor people and all life

so the traditional way is current for modern people and has real implications for their lives and the cosmos

COSMIC RHINO

being in a natural area is my way of connecting with real life, there is no pretence here

the cities most people live in are elaborate artificial creations full of stress

the claim for natural beauty is surrounded by concrete , glass etc is not something I can go along with

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

in the 19th century United States there was a belief that higher human achievements like railways and industry ,were evidence for a higher being . This was called Second Creation .

it is kind of like in an age when belief in religion is declining, industry ,design and architecture has been elevated to the sacred , at a time when consumerism is eliminating much of the ancient wilds which were held as sacred from time immemorial .

since developed understanding of processes in a certain way ,but along with this comes an attitude that everything is an object to be used and disposed of.

the market and human creation alone has become sacred ,not that this leaves people very happy as is shown by the level of stress and superficial attraction, nothing lasts that long people are always moving to the next thing .

if something is not real but created on a computer ,it is described as virtual ,it is either real or not, so in terms of product creators a fake becomes almost as good as real . imitation is something they prefer not to mention.

we have gone from the spirit of cave art and first peoples high sacred regard for all life , to what is for many people a throw away society and its acceptance as a matter of fact . The popular expression for a machine which no longer works is that it is dead . Well it was never born ,can't breath , was never alive , so it is not dead .

this creates a profound sense of disquiet in me .

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

the more common thing to do a Lewa Safari Camp on your last morning is sleep in and have a camp breakfast . I had heard that before , so the first time I was there my reaction was " I did not come here to eat , I will go out at 0630 and have the picnic breakfast " which is what happened .

frequently the final game drive is very good , and this time was no exception

the more common thing to do a Lewa Safari Camp on your last morning is sleep in and have a camp breakfast . I had heard that before , so the first time I was there my reaction was " I did not come here to eat , I will go out at 0630 and have the picnic breakfast " which is what happened .

frequently the final game drive is very good , and this time was no exception

I totally agree CR...no sleeping in on safari (that's what the long plane ride home is for)!

Great cosmic rhino shots in post #49! Good to see some photos of your trips at last!!

Super LEEDS

Lewa 2016 eles in fading light

No one else there, the other vehicle was probably going of to find lions

Baby ele walk past lovely gap in a fallen try branch

Lewa 2016 eles in fading light.pdf

Lewa 2016 eles in fading light 2.pdf

Edited by Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Lewa 2013

Ostriches males are black, females are brown, the look of the male's dance determines his chances of breeding

LEWA 2013.pdf

Super LEEDS

1 - Grevy's zebra, grant's gazelle in grass with wild flowers

2 - Grevy's zebra with foal

3 - Grevy's zebra with very young foal

1.pdf

2.pdf

3.pdf

COSMIC RHINO

When I am there I have never noticed anyone else having a final 0630 drive

I was leaving on the day before the marathon , so a whole lot of extra planes came in on the airstrip

Safarilink live up to their alternative name of Safarilate , arriving a full 50 minutes after they were due

Lewa safari camp had someone waiting with me until the plane arrived and my bag was loaded

leaving Lewa is always sad , but then I think I will be rebooking soon.

one of the guides took a photo of my bag red with zebra and leopard print fabric glued and sewn down, my response to seeing someone else checking into a hotel with an identical bag

unlike some places , the manager always meets the returning game drive and asks people how things went

people who travel alone dine with the manager ,he is very interesting and well informed.

he grew up in a progressive household

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

his farther was involved in the 1956 rebellion against Communist repression in Hungary ,escaped when it was crushed , given refuge in the UK for one year , then sent out to the commonwealth , with Canada ,Australia and Sth Africa as options chosen by the British government.

his father was sent to South Africa and restarted his life there

his son Sacha became interested in the bush and wildlife, trained and worked as a guide, later becoming a guide trainer .

he has worked in Zimbabwe , amongst other things building the hide at Makalolo camp ,Hwange , before moving onto the Selous Game Reserve ,Tanzania , then later onto Lewa Conservancy in Kenya.

Edited by COSMIC RHINO