Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn, thank you very much for a fruly enjoyable and informative trip report.

Well done on completing the trip and activities despite severe pain. I think most people would not have, and i do hope you never experience such again!

you captured such breathtaking landscapes! thank you for a wonderful report punctured with interesting details.

@@Atravelynn, thank you very much for a fruly enjoyable and informative trip report.

Well done on completing the trip and activities despite severe pain. I think most people would not have, and i do hope you never experience such again! Me neither, at least not on a trip!

you captured such breathtaking landscapes! Damaraland, and Namibia as a whole, is just full of them! thank you for a wonderful report punctured with interesting details.

Informative as usual @@Atravelynn those dik-dik shots are classic. I thought Namibia would be a one off for me but Swakopmund and the skelton coast sound like a real possibility now.

Informative as usual @@Atravelynn those dik-dik shots are classic. I thought Namibia would be a one off for me but Swakopmund and the skelton coast sound like a real possibility now.

It's looking like a 3 or 4 off for me, if I am fortunate enough. If I start getting a yearning for cute baby seals and maybe jackals pursuing those baby seals, should I pm you?

After what I just saw in Kenya with a jackal and a Tommy I think I need a jackal break!

Lynn,

Just catching up on your fabulous report. Sorry about your sciatica problems, must have been really hard but you are a trooper. Great narrative illustrated by your many pictures. Thanks for doing this.

P.S: I thought about this amazing report (its more like a book) of the couple driving 40k kms through Africa, when I saw the picture of your roof tent- they too had that arrangement.

@@AKR1, rooftop tents are very popular here in southern africa.

They are quick to erect and give a lot better sense of security in wild camps where Heynas roam freely. Because the bedding can usually be left inside, they also solve a lot of space issues.

They really only have three drawbacks:

1) Going to the toilet in the middle of the night is not fun (although as Lynn found, there are some interesting alternatives)

2) It's tricky to get dressed in them and

3) You have to pack it up before you can go for a game drive in the morning.

I am just starting this already-magnificent trip report, but wanted to take a moment to extend my sympathies for the sciatica. I mentioned in my trip report my own smaller health concerns on safari, but this sounds really pretty frightening and I think it's pretty brave of you to continue as you did. I love your ingenuity with the extra shoelace! Brava!

I promise not to live blog every reaction I have to your trip report, but oh my goodness!! Those fighting zebras!!! Stunning.

I promise not to live blog every reaction I have to your trip report, but oh my goodness!! Those fighting zebras!!! Stunning. So that's what it's called, Live Blog. I guess I am guilty of doing that on lots of reports. I have been wanting to see a zebra fight for years. But I can add no animals were injured in the making of this trip report.

I am just starting this already-magnificent trip report, but wanted to take a moment to extend my sympathies for the sciatica. Thanks! I mentioned in my trip report my own smaller health concerns on safari, but this sounds really pretty frightening and I think it's pretty brave of you to continue as you did. I love your ingenuity with the extra shoelace! Brava! Your comment on health concerns made me search out your latest report(s). I'm still reeling from the leopard cubs!

@@AKR1, rooftop tents are very popular here in southern africa.

They are quick to erect and give a lot better sense of security in wild camps where Heynas roam freely. Because the bedding can usually be left inside, they also solve a lot of space issues.

They really only have three drawbacks:

1) Going to the toilet in the middle of the night is not fun (although as Lynn found, there are some interesting alternatives)

2) It's tricky to get dressed in them and

3) You have to pack it up before you can go for a game drive in the morning.

You have summed it up very well, Peter Conan!

Lynn,

Just catching up on your fabulous report. Sorry about your sciatica problems, must have been really hard but you are a trooper. Great narrative illustrated by your many pictures. Thanks for doing this. It's fun!

P.S: I thought about this amazing report (its more like a book) of the couple driving 40k kms through Africa, when I saw the picture of your roof tent- they too had that arrangement. Those folks in the link have been EVERYwhere!

After what I just saw in Kenya with a jackal and a Tommy I think I need a jackal break! As of earlier today the jackal and Tommy incident has not been divulged yet.

Edited by Atravelynn

I'd just like to say that, ever since reading this report, every time I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I thank heavens I'm not in a tent on top of a roof. So, you have made a daily impact on my life. :rolleyes:

Also, I love the etchings and the dik dik at Twyfelfontein! Just spectacular, as is so much of the rest of this trip report. Thanks for sharing.

These photos are all just spectacular. I wish that I had spent more time there than I did. I particularly love your photos of birds-especially those photos of Namibian endemic species. There should be no doubt that Namibia has some of the most fabulous desert scenery in the world,as well as a fascinating mix of tribal cultures,and good wildlife. I particularly enjoyed whale watching,and having the giant fur seals climb up on my boat.

I'd just like to say that, ever since reading this report, every time I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I thank heavens I'm not in a tent on top of a roof. So, you have made a daily impact on my life. :rolleyes: Well, it is the season for giving thanks after all.

Also, I love the etchings and the dik dik at Twyfelfontein! Just spectacular, as is so much of the rest of this trip report. Thanks for sharing.

These photos are all just spectacular. I wish that I had spent more time there than I did. I particularly love your photos of birds-especially those photos of Namibian endemic species. There should be no doubt that Namibia has some of the most fabulous desert scenery in the world,as well as a fascinating mix of tribal cultures,and good wildlife. I particularly enjoyed whale watching,and having the giant fur seals climb up on my boat. Something I have not done. Just reinforces the diversity of this country.