An Addendum to Optig's Awesome Safari trip report - Malilangwe, Gonarezhou

Kitsafari

we had a picnic lunch at the pan, full of cold meats and sumptious salads. I pulled a chair infront the pans, soaking in the calls of the birds, the flight of the birds showing off their freedom, the dozing lone hippo surrounded by the chattering birds, the baboons running next to the bull elephant, the dragonfly that came and rest by my side. @@optig pulled up a chair next to me, and we were deep in talk (I can still recall what we were chatting about) when suddenly a rumble interrupted us.

we immediately stood up and looked backwards. we were surrounded by elephants, literally. It was the breeding group from the pan.

Ant who sat further at the other end under a mopane tree, quickly walked over to us with his chair and motioned us to come closer to the picnic table. the breeding family of over 30 had silently moved close to us. The matriach stretched her trunk to smell our folded beds, placed on the ground. She looked at us over Scott's legs which were sticking out from the vehicle. He was still fast asleep.

The matriach stepped out of the bush to check us out as the young ones stood still behind the bushes. She came closer and made a slight move like a mock charge. we didn't move. Assured that we got the warning, she walked off towards the very tree that Ant had sat under a few minutes ago. That signalled a glorious 3-hour interaction with the elephants. More and more females and their young ones poured out of the bush around us, and some were still behind us. They headed straight to the poor mopane tree for its bark, stripping it that will contribute to its future demise.

QCr0dnDFvJNLTn49lm9KNqF4-4ilxTw00T1JNfkx

SIjhhj1fK-QFxpgmftyS4Ap6bAi1WL8RdUozFdwd

DeWNUQNaDTRASYbzs7NAPu1HNYS1FSktCU74G2K2

jxmyH1joPoHWRdbMjLc0bGYRXFSU1Yz0eZdALt3o

56L6if2LUJnmTYwzgDBZGPnG3tkdUSIAI3x_xYQk

It was extremely fascinating to observe their interaction with us and Ant. Ant took command and reassured them with his special ways - rumbling, kicking the sand as elephants do when they are relaxed, and sending them his footwear to let them have a scent of who he was.

It was also fascinating to watch how the elephants send messages. while a young bull was testing its limits with us, the matriarch stood in front of us as if she was keeping an eye not only on us but also on the young bull. at one point, a member of our party made a sudden movement and she took a couple of steps forward - so fast that only the dust stirred up showed that she had moved. at another time, the young bull wanted to come forward but she just took a step forward and he turned away. It was just incredulous during those hours, most of the time just watching the older ones pull the bark out and the babies moving among the trunks and legs waiting for a small bite of the morsels. the matriarch herself passed a small piece of bark to her young.

The entire experience was just awesome. we must have looked so tiny against these giants, but they took our presence in their stride despite all the awful things humans have done to them. Someone ignorant had said elephants in Gonarezhou were very aggressive. well, all i can say now is that he has missed the real honour and privilege being in the calm and majestic presence of one of the most intelligent species in the world.

Definitely one of my top 5 experiences in Africa so far.

0IBZdPh-iqf_3_hKF1U1FqvCJHU9BVJYBDcaNOwy
x7cMr_vW8vIuym562IuiQiczJMn3IX-X4iUr-y-l
PSOb3u03b7t_mwGPbJj8XDTvTIOqK95_Z9kzGnPg
zzwpJY1gY1vFAFgKWPIcJW4qICofMz22PdKCLWQL
x7cMr_vW8vIuym562IuiQiczJMn3IX-X4iUr-y-l
the matriarch feeding on the bark with her baby
w-2iVl-19qqBysNrnOPTZe-ZKnVZoExkVtTl0Goi
mkvtQAoWs7BmsSmJdnWM2PTkQ0YEsUUuKEZPG738
bzg736Q6UGFGE4znh85-Hy6tRhbLs49Ov_NJFAj3
okWVb5fTkZ3jL0uFzA3SSSmmOpRHM_ZBQcstE632
ddJduUCuHMRzM_xUoxBvOuN86VILNWFaTSKYjPjz
FOk6rHAKxGPOxHlWxlUguoLJN29yfDq3YE9Z1_f2
CrVJMdA5m7qzMxAJbArSbUWik8_ZXVLxT6YaULOW
CFdtBSeAoIbQQ-GjTADZund3NAPOIqGgpkwYaEzC
sqwdT-xHujZp9P3dy6RJueqPAInRer7f3_UkfjCf
KbYpzrte79oeACM9iptpV0vtAZ5TXUWAJHDq7NXk
qw8kcbWYM3bu0b7SV1O81RRpyNYGHzPWEkzlnYLr

H5uSq7_Mwy7dxNW9UtDfnoOYyOAC9B0SCOl7j3WD

859F1RLJGt29p1ENc39YKT_SR3lbzey7bz2e3cPS

1sr7CAkSOK_oV6U4JYOAEU_9IDNcmdvcJpmAYc6Q

PGcZkxbDWyAjHKncNcRoxchsYgE5zPZGFfnf2gHK

VS1uJynR9ZUUmvYsMnYafnxjsDMzbjSezC-nlkEW

ou--Cd1zZbS1Fk2iFDK0CNuYSzViBp3CalJlcDp4

UtOVFvdrft3H00ElJdtQmaI_JdVJO0-rEVx2YDSB

-lARKHoV9OD0cukw3sZVIYETiobSeE9pESsTQLo4

3TghyIjrpBSLOAM0Gky3zSYcZY1rct9MkBIEULma

dcIHaQtKXWZt3HgquTUcg4922gJGJZ50NP6SXMAhzEq3lE9MPZCvf236M9ZqQd__hBrFzCDei9Ul1y4H

Kx3FCtOPdqdYRoiIsgqEmwUHBL8Zg-VxfiLj74Hf

IPs-licE0Jy1Sbm6ZV4NcIzUsZvupPUnyscsUuCd

bi85ckq1IfEiiydeyfnsqdsLrJ23iBaA7kZUZTNJ

wql_meb8aTqZLEc5FAoQRIF6m5C1nhZVyDiEOcV8

q2HkXvVJk05yGSCW79Mvpn7ro9cW_EVwQC0BLtsL

yUh2sVVkqHkY9YdTJjLZjoVZ7c8sR8UWGxXIDw45

Edited by Kitsafari

Seniortraveller

What an incredible experience. If it brings a smile to my face, you must be positively beaming every time you think of it.

Bet Scott got a shock when he woke up!

@@Kitsafari Thank you for taking time out from your very busy schedule to post more of a trip report. I can only say that yes indeed it was indeed an honor to be in the presence of these awesome animals. I have to say that they are only aggressive when they aren't treated with the respect that they deserve. I can remember how Ant established his bonds of trust with them. As I'm sure that you remember he said there's no such as elephant talking. And yes I can remember how Scott feel asleep only to waken up surrounded by a herd of elephants.I'm especially eager to get to Zakouma after Ant said that it 10x better than the pan in front of us. Of course I read his reviews of Zakouma on Safaritalk.

I have to say that one trusts a man far more after you've gone fly camping in with them in the bush,and you know that they are protecting you. I never felt at all unsafe or threatened when I was fly camping at Gonorezhou. In fact I slept quite peacefully. I can hardly wait to go fly camping next year at Sarara,and Chada Katavi for two days at each location.

I have to say that there is one negative thing about your photos-the fact hat in one of them I get to see just how much hair I've lost at the back of my head!! I'm totally bald back there,however,it doesn't seem to bother anybody but myself.

Edited by optig

@@Kitsafari as you may have heard or read there have been some sightings of sizable packs of our favorite wild candid -wild dogs at Zakouma. I can imagine that you hope that you'll see them if you visit. The bad news is that has been a few elephants that there has been a few victims of poaching this year,but fortunately not very many. The population continues to grow. Furthermore,the government of Chad has reinforced the black mambas the well trained and armed game wardens with the army. Camp Nomade looks like great fun despite the heat and tsetse flies. I'm sure that I'd love perhaps in 2019 in combination with Odazala-Kokoua in the Congo(Brazzaville) or even better Sangha Lodge in Dzsanga-Sangha since I know that they're both not only outstanding,but they would provide just an astonishing exciting experience. Rod Cassidy loves Odzala Kokoua as well,and his son is the manager of the camps. As you can imagine I can hardly wait to visit!!! :):D

@@Kitsafari Thank you for taking time out from your very busy schedule to post more of a trip report. I can only say that yes indeed it was indeed an honor to be in the presence of these awesome animals. I have to say that they are only aggressive when they aren't treated with the respect that they deserve. I can remember how Ant established his bonds of trust with them. As I'm sure that you remember he said there's no such as elephant talking. And yes I can remember how Scott feel asleep only to waken up surrounded by a herd of elephants.I'm especially eager to get to Zakouma after Ant said that it 10x better than the pan in front of us. Of course I read his reviews of Zakouma on Safaritalk.

I have to say that one trusts a man far more after you've gone fly camping in with them in the bush,and you know that they are protecting you. I never felt at all unsafe or threatened when I was fly camping at Gonorezhou. In fact I slept quite peacefully. I can hardly wait to go fly camping next year at Sarara,and Chada Katavi for two days at each location.

I have to say that there is one negative thing about your photos-the fact hat in one of them I get to see just how much hair I've lost at the back of my head!! I'm totally bald back there,however,it doesn't seem to bother anybody but myself.

@@optig I didnt even notice that until you mentioned it! you will always be a distinguished gentleman no matter what. :)

What an incredible experience. If it brings a smile to my face, you must be positively beaming every time you think of it.

Bet Scott got a shock when he woke up!

@@Seniortraveller - you have no idea what wide grins we had the entire time. I was incredulous that the elephants chose to come to us and then snack on a tree next to us, all the time keeping their cool, though they were still watching us. I think the matriarch only relaxed after a couple of vehicles nearly came into the picnic area but stopped when they saw the herd. they decided to turn away - a very wise decision! you could sense the matriarch relaxing after that.

@@Kitsafari I have to say that hearing from you just made a lovely afternoon even better!!! Yes,I do remember Scott's shock when he woke up. I'd love to tell Herman something that he

already knows all too well-that he's so fortunate to be married to such a lovely,sweet lady as yourself.Your'e one of the few people that I know whom it's impossible to say an unkind thing about. Please don't forget that after I left you at Oliver Tambo International Airport I literally cried.

Did I say I would be brief and wrap up this quickly? gosh I must have been delusional.

I wanted to talk about trees.

Baobabs:

Baobabs are iconic in the Gonarezhou park. Dotted in the thousands across the park, they stood out for hundreds and thousands of years, providing homes for the birdlife, and providing food to the antelopes. White-backed vultures, red-billed buffalo weavrs, brown-headed nd grey-headed parrots, mottled & bohm's spinetails next almost exclusively in the baobab trees.

For years, baobabs survived cheek to jowl with elephants but as human settlements in surrounding regions and hunting pushed the elephants further into the park and with no corridor to move beyond, the baobabs have taken a huge hammering. drought in the past year have driven the elephants to strip the baobab for liquids but in doing so, the elephants condemned hundreds of trees. Many have fallen, Trees that have seen men come and go, witnessed the bloody histories of wars or peaceful settlement of humans for hundreds of years crumpled into fibres after elephants dug deep into their trunks.

Frankfurt Zoological SOciety which has a partnership with the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to manage and develop the park, has embarked on a project to protect as many baobabs as it can. Working with Ant, they have started a Rocking Baobab project to put rocks around each tree. ROcks are easily and freely available in the park, but people are still needed to carry the rocks and a truck to transport the rocks to the trees. Funds are needed to pay the workforce and the transport and they are trying to raise more donations for this purpose. Rocks seem more effective and efficient than wiring the tree; the rocks are loose and elephants cannot balance on the loose rocks so they will just walk away from that tree. the cost of rocking a tree is around US$150-US$300.

Oj9UBOHr68fbX8ggp9zCcZrV_q0IHb1ZDsIh54gC

cUBVfq8gDn0DHnv7BaEumNU0tassUJYK5nMoZQ7D

w8L2KLwJdt_tZPmgxvomfFedjW7MtLixZw9yaLL9

S8rM1ggp_6Z6aPZqNDowOpnWRxUxHITpwns0b2RH

a fallen baobab

3uJkE8HuDoU3j-oZGY3Fuz1LzhTkxb95n_xBzkob

Y8axojpynwEgNW9Mq4YvLuRVcCxyeG6xwRQAhG0p

a rocking baobab

BDMLfKeyFgdhMygbx268Kzc0WWexjAAboUeZ6KYX

the elephants gouged such a large hole in this ancient baobab that there is a huge cavern in it. you can have a campfire in there.

_GDkE6ZnCnMwyEdGUIROMLc5Vh3gYh4Pl4QD_W6C

the cavern inside the baobab. you can see the ashes from a fire there. Ant said rangers sometimes camped inside the tree

WJfvLA9okFqaOs0W3lcvPU92aDsHaXY_QgEN9kto

Ant showing how massive this baobab is. I just hope it continues to live for another thousand years.

_dQxrLCDUOnNt7XmnS6XUqE8t71O_fMfCer8x4R4

Ant caught me hugging a baobab and saying a prayer

49gLcEHnBj31c1L-efeJeaoj1QZgY3EIcLTD6Dfc

Another damaged baobab

T5zxUe2k4-veR-iXNxWY721QzP1Zv4EMj4z4NAd_

-MAmj45WmpzrFBoTX-wZPLeZikp8wvstpCmVEISx

my other favourite tree - the gnarled nyala berry tree. I imagine the baobabs and the nyala trees waking in the middle of the night, waving to each other and speaking to each other.

e2WIkjv6MrrOCuExs4hoD738LRo9tnUpQa_l4BIy

WY8Qrp2VZaPqbWl_axuCiU-AzVdSMbf79yIdbYDo

56TPCIsMuq2NVssDpTG4JWTCyC2x7JJmo_G1D1DE

4FmcXzh7Us9UvsY4pC-ILUo1RAkPk4llbsYR567k

looking up

nGkAWugGSKohdo_Hw728qMimoNDh8wkUDvNQCl-9

xJeUS4NPpWDnGDzXbauL1RsM9SQ-t2LqhqbetVLm\

aoQL0B4QyE-0LS0gJbb8_LdGjhlrM3miPQ7vV7JU

CWgVjx9FXohpDzc-PDvdOMJMsO819VmIt1NntOYN

some pretty flowers - courtesy of Ant

JiIOqhhx3N4HIPgv4bBfZpVu6COXvGhSksz5VZ6q

C_0SZLl96KOY7_HqufKCYe0EGVs6Gw-XGbswoau8

@@Kitsafari Gonorezhou is about the cliffs,elephants and baobabs. They are the three things which more than anything else make it such a special place, Of course I've seen many baobabs before particularly in Ruaha National Park,but nevertheless i was amazed by the sheer size of them in Gonorezhou. Of course i was impressed by the importance he places on them in the ecosystem,and his efforts to save them.

@@Kitsafari

What a wonderful experience with the elephants - and a joy to read for us! Beautiful photos.

The people add perspective. I like the baobab with the red cliff in the background; it couples two iconic features of Gonorezhou.

"Gonorezhou is about the cliffs,elephants and baobabs"

2 of the 3 features associated with the park.

The first evening walk we had, I came across this stunning scene, and immediately thought to myself - Gonarezhou has its own moments as well when you are there at the right time, at the right place. but my camera doesn't do it enough justice....

07lQYWbH8Sqc3O_ArC4ZtFeEPTEi4D9PoJp4dsit

br9eMDzGSbxLjPcxqp2M0c5SAUB7GImJenF2ZxYc

and of course there were the glorious sunrise and sunsets

7n-SpXEQ635jhOCAm0Zw-B7XpzOlI0ljvOX0GHOu

Fhe48T0jU7Tc0LFCIp_gudIiLstamIlZ-DNa-Xgq

6_NGJOQf5VDWcvvsC_Ru3x9VdubWvdjGHyHiAMnH

VLLX6Oyg3uX9BpiEzOKUWldnnnx4ZasWFGz4-uu_

A4v6jBh982S3hcIlGBB9BA8Ehm7DrXkxfxScX_5e

73uVp2eZcPkbNZfzDLAZL6Z5I6BWRNpt7RzUSclm

Birds

7YtgLUZx7ZbFdnm3F72gW58tABg2gHF-MaTLOgKJ

a wahlberg eagle

tjsw6erJqtPHgRJuOZhcgGaHvdAM3HapN9stfvqD

VxHChwA2CGrhyx0jvKPt2zz_I5i6VR6NnpZ6pVIf

fO6L5fzwnlf5HwBWZKw1yY760AbySWkWoQQD6gyW

Fot8KmWBh1VD74asV3s6s8l2MeZWQ5xPwSMut7VN

Rki_9_0Eup8VYhAprBrPMwocW-y6HSA5-EoPOF9v

KoSFx_LdVfSqheoulGdYztm2FpRmyHyjLV8nX1g8

RsncnCa6AtAFaVPwU7ryaKApdjwZRo41Y697axeQ

4NTzW-5HID-vhcztwOVRlh-Oo4rqPwu4Duz8vGmL

dXyinrhrdYB3AWEIpsC555S63PPEQcaf8WS9kzj8

TFvEEg8De4MGFk-r6-BTedjy1W-OhEX4cGC276ip

LBbjQjlU1yeoyuhtUy_J5kaOicER08yX5MJbiDCD

xk65P3YOCHhME-HBGlAYqkzy7CWvPJHnA-TeLYxs

B0X9D_fXdjln28szO01grauNHbe7bmy_IyDSN8sY

Yyfy_kqRVDXIp-UQZ_2WGLieQ3elo5wDCoFC4pbR

nsiHdukR-rBd6O3BPAKqzyLoa7Te0nA4QPnbvPmd

we heard this guy well before we saw him. but when we stopped, the red crested korhaan stopped his calls as well. Scott's sharp eyes found him.

nsiHdukR-rBd6O3BPAKqzyLoa7Te0nA4QPnbvPmd

ka15yHyGvhOmluE5lyS_gA_VVJCAqo1hhyKyacaM

I15exfZmDwkrrxDLDYh05E6BsoswrPL4AsV-QWF6

this little pearl-spotted owlet was so tiny I took nearly forever to locate it!

FdrQw86Cx9si6gtbNEXcdkhalqWCVfoCL9x-XsIA

this looks like a woodpecker but i forgot to jot down the name.

4J6RvBiX2tTrSw6JBzRzurW3Y5TLaPejpnuC8HaFbrown headed parrot - first time for me, so even tho' it's not a perfect picture, i wanted to document that I saw it.

yFtiVJsYEK2ThGd9Rt13Om6QeHfkj3isYKjdUzYz

black headed oriole next to grey headed sparrow

Ake5_UaT02yrmIXTc4OtF1ybXaf4OyjBGfV4_03Y

uHl8hzZqIt0jmGWPT7ApZLSBRI9-op4uNy54O_n_

a beautiful southern carmine bee eater

0gObrM3ZzC2yFqmyIbJ6s-Htdu0IA-vaFq0l-PNz

qmkGjUA-vz4IG9z98UkBoiIGEZXyEEBEru-SSaVW

3b0vCjuCMG48BbKuMG1M4ofIFSZaaO0Ms2nqtA_Y

aNW2go8wd5idFz9NSZI1batX7aSW-VrOOFph0qz7

1YBlrn9xa0uBZmkcMFGBTIoJVGMVGMb5mfXbU461

Mosque swallow - again my first time seeing it

CPcBdSDgTND2R3_fiYS6SdrMz1cJ7yxG-32abH8t

swallow tailed bee eater

_FWXZj6R_34-UqXt5aEqnWZfrIxzCCMxz3pR5gVe

gJNDesNpaBt0MmNQa4FYReXl8bzuWnc9jFjMuLzx

WbffOUZ5KjwX2Gd5goQcawSt5IzElD5AEI0EWCqb

-5IGNXbZI_iaKLN6pn3vP-H1ZiplbfqAaIT_eXh2

@@Kitsafari Thanks again for refreshing my memory of the wonderful week that I spent in Zimbabwe. I particularly love your photos of the stunning sunsets,and birds. The photos of birds help me increase my poor knowledge of them. I remembered very well just how many birds that I saw in Pamushana, but thanks to you I now realize that I saw many new species as well in Gonarezhou.

and the varying landscapes of Gonarezhou

QRi5J7dfaa9n5UsET6uTaewo0qczBLsbOrJ18YEm

UxcCl4AgXvbBNsU8zwav3VL9yH9tF_bpz5UK-dRr

note the contrasting sides of the river runde - on the opposite lush with trees and green bushes, but dry bare trees on this side. not sure why this was so.

_0AaxFReuadRDONoM8U0ufZ-ESUv21yU36YwWu8D

pBVrQl3pIAfpyeCGtTL00eSr59IcjZcKx1m1n0Jz

1zwBG0v9SoGvsUQUxzi9TfLAuYvjbDKRw3OgzulK

8vNC1zABmq883MI7X-Br06U13gL5M6-StfPe0LKN

FTkFdiSE2Q3vHOlzPDLFN4ESRmLH12UoJ0_xlzlg

ejMNss3qQb5gPFJN64mBU3rEqZW8434t-LO1y1xs

lY4PG1D0WjCD_-kTC2NFkEEdDAo_hRl3U2X_ktTq

GvC5YLbhHrbH5K0W5C1xbPna523Tpxt0A9Bjr3Ww

uit7Ci6bE0rxmTIbt2KpVGIXUhJDinva-PHquX61

the lush treeline.....

lib1uit2Sph8yFYhe-0IHLrzpEW_EROB55ewPzOu

7px31SxnY5Rw-eTpvP1zi7qbMKBgcmhB6XSg76EP

...dry mopane woods

9AOzCKJnBh2rKMcQs7Ua1TBieKWDPhK7shsYpLwV

adding to the landscape (after being made to wade through the pool!)

Rzj16QY7LiW40XYCknmCj5eR67YdpRn0O-Lbd5NW

bonding

TVRPxDD94cwIXsTxqtzq5_LXBZqY_pSMNlzGUQUQ

5Cqbgaf6pTYcnLtwoBikJoMPBDk4blW6cNocLOEC

surprising pretty landscape close to Save-Runde junction

A-D56WirqftdS8oHWTSGY6YCc5kWomhfz3_DqtmP

nWHcUrYyXEoGgFb5HYhVD3Xj4LlZQL-J3mEb0oTY

beautiful leafy mopane bush woods

jjVlC03RtIPn6JqfdIebIeDS5I-oS8pPQjnHtG4H

and of course the stunning majestic Chilojo Cliffs from the moment we had the first sighting of it in the sunset light. I have to apologise to @@madaboutcheetah because he has been waiting for this set of photos of the cliffs. I just hope the wait was worth it...... :)

tGRGOUbWNmK33275UQhdsrBFSqOx0DvcUhbU05Ld

and teasing us as we see it first thing in the morning across from the camp

WXJgBzCdpTxuZ7cWZWXZG2aMPUBSCzEcF3eiz9Tr

and then trying to find the right light, the right angle, the right timing - taking every opportunity to take a pix of the cliffs...

9h5xIASMJTswGTrJRHwsbE_k5oGHSKwI-D9pON2w

the pinnacle

E96mtAIes_q9UMxwBSGauID10bE8CTagkbFyzEg_

e5ZsHC5xM4kQ2PXLQ3c50TMQPRmmBpPC3z56xxz-I45G22khBUi37slRjKs9FziIfkLoTFSsB4lD49Y6

Qfqi_MA4lalQmXDtSUgI_cV8g0JlUGldOlsuGOrA8VZXmcEcf2ql9-buIFaCuHuKq2kSkkntXROUNVun

-d47GUfDWFFCHSISJX43BUM6eSPcLNW4_XGO9uZQ

F805tSNQx6_kylm0Mj3KRYxhDNQ7rvv_nvoQ6qTy

8uVNpuMNK06cNqFShQTyrJsFaPv1r2v79gspPy5-

ma77uy1rYnJPXRlPS-V5D3Ha9evfxSLnd3IDoeoz

pCOo7qQSSFHXOzvNUBXzHlYEpgm-XdVpghXFjXOp

even the baboons and impalas enjoy the views

pt9PkocKtBWf4nWaVxLhPnnDinU0ccIPG4OLMM2_

in case you have any doubts

F54uZdHSeBm_ZKYOVfhk0loilaZ3wG3BS8gc-eub

GBbK0wblKmBbIRyVRoqBk4AuryrI01sHSl6rOZUs

So what is Gonarezhou? I've found out - after I returned - that it is more than just the cliffs, the elephants and the baobab trees. It is also the antelopes, the nyala berry and cassia trees and the mopanes, the reptiles and the birds. As a sum ,they make up Gonarezhou.

I imagine that the lack of sightings, not lack of wildlife, that makes it hard to sell Gonarezhou to the tourist market. it's like a double edged sword - you want to draw the tourists to bring in the revenues for the local community and make the park economically valuable to the officials; yet if the tourists start flooding the park, it could degrade the park, stress the elephants. Perhaps more mobile camps like what Ant's has and a couple of small lodges within the park will add more appeal to the park as it keeps the number of guests in the park at any one time to a minimum. But Gonarezhou will need more marketing, more publicity, more safari goers who seek remoteness, wildness and raw beauty. Gonarezhou delivers in bucketfuls.

But ultimately, the icons of Gonarezhou will always hold sway. whereever you turn, there'll be an elephant, that bend you take you'll glimpse the cliffs, that top view you see will hold the beauty of the baobabs.

Thank you all who have liked my posts, left compliments and made comments or just continued to follow this TR. They really encouraged me to continue and complete this TR at a time when work and an ailing dog are soaking up all my time. My dog is now lying at home, an IV fluid drip inserted in her arm, and she's running out of energy fighting some invisible illness. All I can do is give her love, reassurance and comfort, and in between, finishing up this TR. seeing those cliffs definitely brought some balance back.

Sitting one morning at the Chilojo cliff picnic spot, I see an elephant kicking up water in the sands. Silhouetted against the cliffs, it makes a strong statement for the park. Just watching it in the quiet atmosphere, I felt just calmness and quiet satisfaction flow through my veins.

xwxv5HGhpPHRlpjkEUFLGh2qSzJUbRPGxRpZxzW0

mdiy79Y6Zto9q6CAWNOmjDWv2smZitsP1NMi0HJZ

madaboutcheetah

@@Kitsafari - was worth the wait!!! hope to get to Gonerezhou one of these years just for the cliffs!

@madaboutcheetah@Kitsafari I have to agree that I also agree that Gonorezhou could use a couple of small lodges within the park managed by Ant. It is a perfect park for mobile camping. I have no doubt that the number of predators,antelope,and elephants will continue to rise. I also have to note that Singita Pamushana is now allowing people who aren't staying there to use their plane. I'm happy that this has improved.

@@Kitsafari

The pictures of the cliffs are quite breathtaking - especially the shot with the elephant. It really gives a sense of scale.

This has been a brilliant report @@Kitsafari with your photos, videos and thoughtful and always interesting commentary.

The photos of the cliffs are awe-inspiring.

The 10th photo in #92 particularly resonates with me and speaks of the size and wonder of Africa.

@@Kitsafari thanks to you I will somehow or other learn to use my camera hopefully before I go on my next safari in February. I know very well that you suffer from the same problem as I do-technological ineptitude. I'm encouraged by your superb photos despite your problem. I remember very well that you don't even know how to use many of your camera's functions.