Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

190) Common Eider

Famous for their down they need it in these cold seas! They haven't come ashore to breed and nest yet, when they do the island will ring to the sound of the males display calling , a real lasting memory once heard.

33111752924_ba2fde1445_b.jpgCommon Eider Somateria Mollissima by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Towlersonsafari

the eider has to be my-and indeed Jane's favourite duck- the colours, the call and males display and then the females muted subtle colours and the way they cresh the youngsters @@Dave Williams

Dave Williams

194) Back in Namibia again, Etosha NP. I'm not 100% sure on the ID after much searching for info I came to the conclusion Ovambo Sparrowhawk juvenile.

34103128496_5fa79ce131_b.jpgOvambo Sparrowhawk(juvenile) Accipiter ovampensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

200) Great Bustard, Extremadura ,

This sighting is a bit special, one of Europe's most endangered species.The photo suffers from the heat haze but hey.....who cares!

34248468226_8b28c59118_b.jpgGreat Bustard Otis tarda by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

@@Dave Williams

A fine sighting to reach the magic 200. Well done - and such high quality throughout.

Dave Williams

@@Dave Williams

A fine sighting to reach the magic 200. Well done - and such high quality throughout.

@@TonyQ Thanks Tony. So many of my recent images have been a bit soft and I have put it down to the heat, here in Spain with a pal I can compere results with my friend who is with me as he has exactly the same equipment. His images so much better than mine. Today I discovered why. My 1.4 TC has a loud rattle from within so something has fallen apart and that has been the problem. Shame as my Gt Bustard shot could have been so much better and I'm not likely to get another chance.

Dave Williams

201) Bluethroat. Sierra de Gredos, Spain.

Back on track after a disappointing start to my Spanish photographytrip.My 1.4TC consigned to the bin I have had to resort to a 2.0x which many dismiss as degrading the image too much. I was happy with the result especially as this species has been near the very top of my wish list for a long time.

34337333205_89129152b4_z.jpgBluethroat Luscinia Svecica by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Brilliant effort Dave!

Dave Williams

202) Black-winged Kite.

Yesterday was my second use of a hired hide during my current trip. The catch with this one is you have to be in before daybreak and leave after dark. 16 or so hours in total. All very well if the day goes well but for me it didn't. The target species arrived and stayed for about 30 seconds before the light was good enough for a decent shot and that was it for the day.15 hours of confinement in a hide not big enough to stand in and you are locked in too. Makes you realise the horrendous ordeal some kidnap victims are subjected too and they don't have the benefit of knowing when they will be released nor have a tiny window to peer through.

33592193413_c0de81e532_b.jpgBlack-winged Kite Elanus caeruleus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

You worked really hard for this one, Dave. I remember I was offered to do a hide like this in Catalonia, but being a very impatient person declined. Where was this one? Still, a Black-Winged Kite is a great sighting in Europe.

Congratulations about the Bluethroat - very pleased you got your shot.

Dave Williams

You worked really hard for this one, Dave. I remember I was offered to do a hide like this in Catalonia, but being a very impatient person declined. Where was this one? Still, a Black-Winged Kite is a great sighting in Europe.

Congratulations about the Bluethroat - very pleased you got your shot.

@ michael-ibk Calera y Chozas in Castille La Mancha. 90 minutes drive west ion Madrid Michael.

Edited by Dave Williams

Hard times with both the converter and the hide @@Dave Williams! That Bluethroat shot is excellent, even with the 2x.

Dave Williams

203) Spanish Imperial Eagle

OK, it's a monster crop but it's high on everyone's wish list. Seen at around 500m I would guess and obscured sitting on it's nest. Luckily someone there had a 'scope for us to have a decent view!

34338631531_f72dd55cfe_b.jpgSpanish Imperial Eagle. Aquila adalberti by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

204) Griffon Vulture

Along with the Spanish Imperial Eagle they were both seen on Monfrague NP, Spain.

34307430442_e80ec6f695_b.jpgGriffon Vulture. Gyps fulvus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Magnificent pic of the griffon!