Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

244) Great Tit Colera-y-Chozas , Spain

Common in our garden at home too but usually seen with sunflower hearts from the feeders.

34829778451_03b264b73d_b.jpgGreat Tit Parus major by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

245) Common Redpoll Snowdonia, Wales.

They seem to favour uplands here in North Wales. Not particularly common in my experience but they are easy to hear as they are very vocal.

34151377813_c62b2d0e47_b.jpgCommon Redpoll Acanthis flammea by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

Nice capture of the Redpoll. A bird I´ve only seen once here. And of course great to see the Rollers!

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

246) Black Stork, Monfrague NP,Spain

Black Stork.jpg

Dave Williams

247) Thekla Lark-Galerida theklae     Extremadura,Spain

Thekla Lark .jpg

Dave Williams

248) Black-headed Gull- Chroicocephalus ridibundus.   One of the UK's most common but it's more brown headed than black.

Black-headed Gull.jpg

Dave Williams

249)  Canada Goose   Branta canadensis.      Seem to increase in numbers year on year here in the UK.

Canada Goose.jpg

Dave Williams

250) Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca.    Not particularly common they migrate to the UK to breed. The weather here has been so poor recently that you wonder why they bother. Certainly, my intentions to return to this particular spot have been thoroughly dampened by recent heavy rain so I'll post this one as it might be the only one I get this year!

Pied Flycatcher.jpg

Dave Williams

252)  Jay   Garrulus glandarius    Another of the UK's most colourful. Very timid when it comes to human contact but as evil as they come in stealing other birds eggs and chicks.

This one occasionally visits my feeders and has developed a way of hanging in the hoop before sticking his neck through the bars of the ( not so) squirrel proof feeder

Jay.jpg

Dave Williams

252) Willow Warbler   Phylloscopus trochilus.   Another summer visitor, we get them in the garden but this one was seen a few miles from home.

Willow Warbler.jpg

Dave Williams

253) Mallard  Anas platyrhynchos  Probably the most common duck in the UK I would think, so much so that they tend to be totally ignored from a photographic point of view by all but those just starting their avian galleries ....unless of course there is another reason! 

Mallard duckling.jpg

Towlersonsafari

Love the Jay photo but on behalf of the "Corvids have feelings too" campaign I must protest about the use of the word evil! If any Corvids have been affected by the issues raised in this thread please contact Corvids have feelings too

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Towlersonsafari said:

Love the Jay photo but on behalf of the "Corvids have feelings too" campaign I must protest about the use of the word evil! If any Corvids have been affected by the issues raised in this thread please contact Corvids have feelings too

Is that Corvids or Corbyns?

Dave Williams

254) Reed Bunting Emberiza schoeniclus    I used to these regularly at our local RSPB reserve but this is the first for a long long while. Belting out a song yesterday ( not the song Yesterday, that would have been really clever!)

Reed Bunting.jpg

Dave Williams

255) Meadow Pipit  Anthus pratensis   The Cuckoo's favourite victim! They are common in North Wales and appear all year round.

Meadow Pipit.jpg

Dave Williams

255) Mistle Thrush  Turdus viscivorus     The Mistle Thrush is a bit of a bogey bird for me when it comes to photography. They are not too common but getting near them is far from easy. To my delight I have seen one in my bird bath recently and better still a young one was spotted in a tree not far from the house so hopefully it might become a regular occurance.

Mistle thrush.jpg

Dave Williams

256)Great Spotted Woodpecker juvenile  Dendrocopos major

A new recruit to my garden feeders this afternoon, the red top of the head will soon disappear.

35200029586_9d0ca7026e_b.jpgGreat Spotted Woodpecker juvenile by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

257) Artic Skua Stercorarius Parasiticus    somewhere in the Irish Sea 

I don't like posting bad images but as I have little chance of seeing another this year I'm afraid post it I must do if I want to maximise my numbers.

Once a month during the summer I travel to Dublin and back from Holyhead in North Wales as a guest of Stenna Line ferries as part of a sea watch to monitor cetaceans. The views from the bridge are magnificent but you are shooting through salt sprayed glass and image quality isn't the best.

Artic Skuas breed in the north of the UK in Scotland but I have only ever seen them in Iceland and one specimen in The Gambia during the winter months.

Artic Skua Stercorarius parasiticus.jpg

Dave Williams

258)Hooded Crow  Corvus Cornix

Again photographed from the bridge of the Stenna Superfast so IQ is really poor but no mistaking this species. They are common in Ireland and Scotland but not England or Wales where they are a rarity.

Hooded Crow   Corvus cornix .jpg

Dave Williams

259) Black Guillemot   Cepphus Grylle   Dublin Harbour,Ireland

Whilst the Stenna Superfast is docked waiting to make the return journey it's possible to get to an outside position on the deck for a better photo opportunity.

Black Guillemots are common around the coast of Ireland and the West coast of Scotland but they are only found in a couple of places in Wales, including Holyhead Harbour where they nest, as they do in Dublin, in the harbour walls.

Black Guillemot Cepphus grylle.jpg