Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

The two photos above can start the new thread. The bird with an iconic background. And what more iconic of a background then Taj Mahal and panda?! 

But that bulbul looks very nice, could you post a crop of it, for my eyes to see it better, @Dave Williams?

Dave Williams

For @xelas !

I'm not usually interested in capturing images of captive animals but these were so, so cute!

ME6B7350.jpg

ME6B7366.jpg

ME6B7406.jpg

Thanks, @Dave Williams! Me neither; or better going to the zoo is a good opportunity to test the new body or the new lens.

Dave Williams

321) Rose-ringed ( Ring-necked Parakeet). Ocean park Hong Kong.

Wished I'd taken a bigger lens than the 24-105mm!

25067366518_096fd8e732_b.jpgRose-ringed Parakeet.  Psittacula krameri.  Hong Kong. by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A big crop for Alex!

38939056781_8c57e200f9_b.jpgRose-ringed Parakeet.  Psittacula krameri.  Hong Kong. by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams, I am so surprised you did not have any longer lens in your arsenal. A 100-400 is a perfect travel companion many will say. Anyway, your lens have resolved enough details for this heavy crop. Thank You!

Dave Williams
14 minutes ago, xelas said:

@Dave Williams, I am so surprised you did not have any longer lens in your arsenal. A 100-400 is a perfect travel companion many will say. Anyway, your lens have resolved enough details for this heavy crop. Thank You!

I took my 100-400 and 24-105 on the holiday but would decide which lens to take on each particular day out. I also sold my 7D2 just before going so no longer have a crop body camera either.

I have pushed the like button .. but why one would sell its 7DMkII ?! I can only imagine it will be replaced by a 1D X MkII ??

Dave Williams

322)Pacific Reef Egret.  Cai Lon Bay, Vietnam.

Cai Lon Bay has been declared one of UNESCO's 7 natural wonders. I wondered why there was so little bird life!

27162626779_9c708f39d7_b.jpgPacific Reef-egret Egretta Sacra. Vietnam by Dave Williams, on Flickr

This was taken with the 100-400 plus a 1.4TC, then cropped!

Dave Williams
2 minutes ago, xelas said:

I have pushed the like button .. but why one would sell its 7DMkII ?! I can only imagine it will be replaced by a 1D X MkII ??

@xelasI have had the 1DX2 for a almost couple of years now, the 7D2 I bought used in December last year as back up in case my 5D3 failed me. I have been expecting the 5D3 to break down for a year or two, ever since it got a good soaking in salt water on a Dolphin trip. It continues to function perfectly and I thought I don't need 3 bodies, the 7D2 which I have never really taken to was the obvious choice to sell.11 months, 11,000 shots and I sold it for £25 less than I paid for it. Had to go!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I have had the 1DX2 for a almost couple of years now

Oh, sorry for missing that info. With that one, and 5D MkIII, one does not need a crop body, specially with the selection of (stellar) lenses you have :o.

What a pretty little dove!

Dave Williams

325) Great Egret

In a rice paddy somewhere near Da Nang ,Vietnam.

I have worse shots than this one which may or may not surface!

ME6B8188.jpg

Dave Williams
4 minutes ago, xelas said:

Birding on a cruise ship ... it must have been a first even for you, @Dave Williams :)!

3rd and most disappointing cruise to date. 3 species and only 7 birds seen in 14 days and that included stops in 4 countries too Alex.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

3rd and most disappointing cruise to date. 3 species and only 7 birds seen in 14 days and that included stops in 4 countries too Alex.

Mental note to myself: no cruise ship until 80th b’day! :D

Dave Williams
7 minutes ago, xelas said:

Mental note to myself: no cruise ship until 80th b’day! :D

Cruising around South America would be good for birds and cetaceans. The advantage of cruising is you get to move around without having to live out of a suitcase which can be very tedious, even when it's in the back of a Hilux.

49 minutes ago, xelas said:

Mental note to myself: no cruise ship until 80th b’day! 

That early?  As @Dave Williamssuggests, it depends on the route.

Guys, you can try your best but you will not sway me :D!

Edited by xelas

Dave Williams

I'm not going to claim this but what is the general consensus. Lesser Adjutant which is a lifer for me, flying over Ankgor Wat, Cambodia.

Second thoughts I might claim it!!!  Hoping to get to 350 this year!!

BH2I0015.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

39 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Second thoughts I might claim it!!!  Hoping to get to 350 this year!!

Claim it! Every Bird Counts!!