Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

Well done on reaching 350- a great achievement. And I would expect you to take full advantage of the local park:)

Dave Williams

353) Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher  Culicicapa ceylonensis

Took a while to catch up with this one flitting around the undergrowth but it was worth the effort...a lifer!

BH2I9868.jpg

Dave Williams

354) Rufous Treepie   Dendrocitta vagabunda

While chasing the Flycatcher I came across this Treepie. I had seen one and photographed it badly earlier in the trip so this was a bonus too.

BH2I9876.jpg

Dave Williams

355) Verditer Flycatcher   Eumyias thalassinus

Another Flycatcher in the same area, it too in deep shade.

BH2I9908.jpg

Dave Williams

356) Black Drongo  Dicrurus macrocercus

It was a Saturday morning in the park and there were half a dozen courting couples ( behaving correctly I might add) sitting on park benches dotted around the place. I only had a comparatively small 100-400mm lens but you feel very self conscious especially when you are hanging around in the undergrowth! It was with some relief i spotted a Black Drongo out in the open and so could demonstrate what I was trying to photograph!

BH2I9947.jpg

Dave Williams

357) Common Tailorbird    Orthotomus sutorius

The final bird the park gifted me was this Tailorbird. I'd told Claire I'd only be gone an hour but 3 had disappeared in next to no time. I was finally doing what I love, mixing wildlife photography and travel. Ancient buildings are OK but give me natural wonders any day!!

BH2I9967.jpg

Dave Williams
52 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Congrats on 350 - looks like you’ll beat me in 2017....

@Tdgraves  That's me done now. I may make a couple more but I'm not going to make any effort. As an ex salesman I know that once you have hit target you slow down giving yourself a better chance that you can hit  it again next time. I have set myself an ambitious 500 for 2018, ambitious only in as much as I hope to avoid using dodgy images!

PS Not sure about your Rock Dove, if you catch me up I'll be posting mine!

Well, 357 is a jolly good showing! And mostly really magnificent images too!

At least you got some good species in the park after the rather poor birding experience of the trip. Your total of 375 now is not bad at all (beyond me anyway..;)), but I'm looking forward to your reaching the magic 500 next year! You must have some good trips coming up

Dave Williams
Just now, PeterHG said:

At least you got some good species in the park after the rather poor birding experience of the trip. Your total of 375 now is not bad at all (beyond me anyway..;)), but I'm looking forward to your reaching the magic 500 next year! You must have some good trips coming up

@PeterHG   357 Peter, maybe 360 by the end of the year if I'm lucky. I'm thinking in terms of waiting until January to contemplate going out again... too wet, grey and miserable here. There again that's still 2 weeks away.

Yes my 500 target is one that needs careful planning. I have two budget trips planned to The Gambia and Goa. It will be local birding at both places, not really sure how many species I'll get within walking distance of the hotels we are staying in, we'll see. I also have a trip to Estonia which again, I'm not sure what I might see that's different to the UK and a trip to South Africa and Namibia but this time in July as opposed to the supposedly peak birding season when we went in January.

500 should be doable though, especially if I can get a decent set of UK images too where I haven't tried very hard this year.

Great plans! Certain to offer you lots of variety. Gambia has been on my mind for some time and I’ve read good things about Estonia. I’ll be following your reports and photos with great interest!

An interesting 2018 for sure! I really enjoyed Estonia for my short stay there and am sure it should be fantastic during migration.

Dave Williams

260)Northern Shoveler

I wasn't going to go out but the sun came out for a short while and I decided to try to better some low light shots of Water Rail I got the other day down at the local reserve. The Rails had disappeared in to the reeds but I got an unexpected bonus!

38513489594_1165509673_b.jpgNorthern Shoveler Anas clypeata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

3 hours ago, xelas said:

yet you have lowered your count by 100?!

That's probably why the duck's laughing!!

Nice capture as well.

Dave Williams

@xelasI thought I'd give the Hare some hope Alex.

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@xelasI thought I'd give the Hare some hope Alex.

I think we are ready for a photo finish :rolleyes:, Dave.

Dave Williams

@xelas I would be happy for a dead heat Alex...but don't want top be beaten!!!!!:lol:

So just to make sure I might go out again!!!!

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

361) Glaucus Gull

@xelas Thought I'd give Alex an incentive to not vegetate on the sofa this week:rolleyes:

This one happens to be just down the road from where we live. An unusual but timely sighting. Hope it hangs around until next week too!

39281149392_666bd6a035_b.jpgGlaucous Gull  Larus hyperboreus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Indeed I need this incentive, @Dave Williams. Too much food yesterday, and PL afternoon today restricted me from chasing my #361 ^_^. Nice photo, the gull posed nicely.

Dave Williams

@xelas My son sold our tickets for last nights match while I was out looking for the Glaucous Gull and I cut short my birding trip to set off for Liverpool , had I known we weren't going I could have probably picked up a few more!!

Incidentally, we decided Boxing Day was a family day and we watched the game on TV instead. Good result too!!

45 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

My son sold our tickets for last nights match

I am sending you a PM !