Peter's Big Year 2017

PeterHG

Dave Williams

On a trip to Dublin earlier in the year we estimated there were about 400 Common Gulls in Dublin harbour area, where they were going who knows but they are pretty rare in North Wales,

Those BeeEaters are well worth more than one point!

Enjoying your thread immensely. Did @xelas give you any of my beers he owes me? (thought not!)

• 1 month later...

For this I thought I had quit ;): I hadn't, but I was not able to go out for quite some time. Fortunately this week I managed a little trip and even got some for my Big Year thread.

285. Common Buzzard. Definitely common, but raptors never fail to fascinate me.

7D2_2791-X2.jpg

286. Eurasian Kingfisher. A grey day, but the colours of three juvenile Kingfishers stood out beautifully.

7D2_2961-X2.jpg

7D2_2991-X2.jpg

Not counting, but I enjoyed these moments too.

A Western Marsh Harrier venturing closer than it usually does

7D2_2835-X2.jpg

And both Great Egret and Little Egret in one shot. The difference in size is amazing. Both Egrets have made a rather spectacular comeback since the start of this century, the Great Egret being the more common of the two. As the Little Egret is rather localised in our country the changes of getting both at the same time are quite slim. I was very happy with this one.

7D2_3037-X2.jpg

Great shots of the Buzzard (common, yes, but I never manage to get close) and the Kingfishers!

I agree with Michael. But the shot of the two Egrets together is very interesting too!

Dave Williams

Three Kingfishers in one shot....wow!

The grey day both added to the vibrant colours and to the smooth background! What a photo !!

• 4 weeks later...

I made a one-day trip to Texel (one of our islands in the north) yesterday. Always a good place to go birding and perhaps especially so when it's migration time. I managed to chalk up some 50 species for the day and even two for the year list. In spite of the forecast the fog persisted for most of the day, but I had a good time anyway. Not perhaps for the photo opportunities, but certainly for the experience

287. Brant Goose. Texel is a pretty reliable spot to see them at almost any time of the year.

7D2_3361-XL.jpg

288. Red-necked Phalarope. Definitely EBC, but a great bird to see.

7D2_3387-L.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Additions are becoming more rarer as the year progresses, but I keep working at it. I took a trip to the coast last week and managed to see several species, new to my yearlist. But photos, well that was another matter. O)n top of that I completely forgot to take a picture of the Purple Sandpiper I saw. It was pretty far off and I thought, well I'll see if it's closer when I walk back. Well, it probably was, but I never looked for it again :wacko:. It's probably my advancing age. And I assure everybody here that I'm taking this whole thing very seriously, very seriously indeed, as opposed to some others:D.Ok the only thing I got was an EBC shot of:

389: Gannet (juv) IJmuiden

7D2_3474-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

389. Great Grey Shrike. I went to try and see the Parrot Crossbill, but did not find them. Instead I got this one.

7D2_3521-XL.jpg

Well I also got a Nuthatch quite close (not counting) when the light started to fade. Still not too bad at iso 6400 in a crop body (7DII)

7D2_3555-XL.jpg

Great Grey Shrike is not to be sneezed at. That would have been a lifer for me. Nice Nuthatch.

@PeterHG I am sure you are very serious Big Year participant but I am sorry to point out you have somehow miracousely jumped from #288 to #389 ... or I am missing a couple of pages of your Big Year photos ?! Too much of Red Bull maybe :P ??

Ah, it was my only chance, but you caught me out:D. I'll correct it with the next bird...

Dave Williams
33 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Ah, it was my only chance, but you caught me out:D. I'll correct it with the next bird...

You are taking it seriously... I'm going to try that one too!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm going to try that one too!

Really? Not now you're not Mate.:P

Edited by Galana
additional text.

290. (Number corrected from previous post) Meadow Pipit, Groningen, Netherlands. One I took earlier in the year, but had overlooked so far. Well, tomorrow I'm off to the Kruger for a week, so I hope to return with some more additions.....! I'm really looking forward to spending some time in beautiful (and warm) SA again.

7D2_9276-XL.jpg

It will be quick but sweet, @PeterHG ! Enjoy the trip and come back with plenty of new birds :).

Enjoy Kruger. Come back with lots to share with us.

And just as you said it, it appears that you have sent your weather ahead.

Cool and rainy here at the moment...

I don't consider myself a twitcher but after seeing your photos I have decided to visit Kenya's coast so that I can see more pelagic species of birds. I do have to say I never cease to get excited when I see birds especially new species. I also have to visit other areas as well.

Enjoy your Kruger trip Peter!