Umlani camp and Africa on foot MAY 2017

COSMIC RHINO

offshorebirder

Here are some elephant photos @COSMIC RHINO took at Africa on Foot.

The elephants look very calm and relaxed around vehicles.

Elephant_mother_and_child.jpg

Elephants_browsing.jpg

Elephants_walking.jpg

Young_elephant1.jpg

Young_elephant-playingwithfood.jpg

Young_elephant2.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

A couple of more - elephants drinking and elephants tussling

Elephants_drinking.jpg 

Elephants_tussling.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

COSMIC RHINO

thanks offshore birder for posting my photos 

yes, the elephants were calm around vehicles

I had a number of great sitings 

they were sometimes a bit hidden in the bush

mostly other vehicles did not stay for long, so I largely had them to myself

only on one siting did another vehicle stay for anything longer for a brief period of time

Nice group of eles; the next-to-last pic in post #76 made me smile.

COSMIC RHINO

you get better results if you stay around  on  a good siting 

I find a bridge camera with high magnification just great for what I want to do , and when you are already close you get to see fine detail of things

COSMIC RHINO

one evening after dinner people got into the vehicle in response to lion calls

the guide was  able to find them with the spotlight but it was not easy when it was very dark, in heavy bush and with the lions moving quickly

COSMIC RHINO

the decaf coffee  bags taste great

a plunger of coffee is served with breakfast

it was interesting hearing the very experienced tracker Enoch talk  about things  

he does not like Afrikaans at all as a language of domination , or working in the old days at mala mala 

the trackers were banned from speaking in English, had to use the specially invented multi dilect  used in the mines , and were banned from answering any guests questions , which had to be passed onto the guide

this gave  he a reason to move to Londolozi were the trackers were treated much better

Nice photos @COSMIC RHINO  - lovely to see the elephants.

THank you for posting them @offshorebirder

COSMIC RHINO

• Africa on foot has a regular boma fire  which is wonderful to sit around 

they now use dried wood sold  by the bag to avoid taking it from the bush

• ask  guides how do they work out how strong animal senses are , and the comment is by comparing some dead ones which have be dissected to the structure of the same part of the human body.  this was confirmed by another guest who is a research herpetologist from Stanford University 
  • all the other guests were pleasant and friendly  , there was an older UK couple from Inverness ,the area strongly supports the existence of the Loch Ness monster , she is good for the visitor economy ,there is a bit of evidence , and things can't be properly investigated in a cold lake with poor visibility .a whole lot of local  homes are now tourist bed and breakfast venues

COSMIC RHINO

Africa on foot is attracting some local visitors

it helps to be friendly if you are able to talk about rugby , I always get amusement when I tell of the minor third grade player from another region who I used to work with , who did not like the state of NSW and reckoned he was better than Wallaby great Matt Burke  81 matches 878 points please see http://en.espn.co.uk/australia/rugby/player/11577.html

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

although  they are not often seen in the area, I once briefly came across a few southern ground hornbills in a tree 

Well this character comes from Canberra is very proud of that and puts down other areas.  when the Wallabies were great Randwick club supplied at least half the team, but they are not much now and he is in third grade only

the transfer from Africa on foot are consistently reliable , a good link to the bush pub and ashton's transfer

so I was in good time back to Johannesberg, I wish that the  driver had not suggested a curio shop stop, that 15 minutes maximum, in practice was more like 30

Edited by COSMIC RHINO