Q: Who Gnu that Kenya is so delightful?

AmyT

Lovely cheetah photos....jealous :)

And about the chimps...I guess I see it as humans removed that dignity which is how they ended up at a sanctuary in the first place. Sanctuaries are an attempt to give them dignity back. Since most of them could never be returned to the wild, this is the closest they can come to it. And I personally feel it's important to expose people to the damage that "people" do to our closest relatives in the animal kingdom- and to ultimately resist against that damage people do. The rhino when I was there was blinded by birth or by his natural tendancies (I can't recall...Max I think his name was)- not human inflicted. @AmyT- I digress...loving this report and so happy you've seen such wondrous things already. You are very lucky!!  :)

Pamshelton3932

@@AmyT, I am enjoying your TR immensely, especially since we were in Kenya at approximately the same time.  Your pictures in Amboseli reminded me of my previous trip and have me wishing I'd had time to go there this trip too!  Your pictures are great-I've quit worrying about others being better than mine and just enjoy everyone's pictures.  I used to worry about how little knowledge I have compared to others on this forum, but all have been welcoming and non judgmental.  As @wilddogsaid, these are your memories of what looks like a fantastic trip.  I loved Nicholas and Little John but Little John had to leave after our first day to go to. airobi to take his silver exam.  I wish I knew how to make sure he passed!

Like others have said I'm enjoying you're report @AmyT and you really need not worry about your pictures. I've got some great "terrible" pictures that I love from my early trips to Africa because of the memories that they bring back for me.

So not only do you get great Kili shots but you also get a kill on your first trip,amazing!

Beautiful cheetah! I also would've wanted to stay with them.

Edited by Marks

It was such fun to watch the family play, stalk, and groom each other. They were watching us watching them, but not stressed at all.

You can't see us.

Kenya3_8930.thumb.jpg.963875ff217b60a87be04d298b1f8b65.jpg

But I can see you.

kenya3_8945.thumb.jpg.937f11878aca746a6aaacb7f62179223.jpg

kenya3_8973.thumb.jpg.30aa272d9068eea49afa50d96dcaa7c7.jpg

Kenya3_8996.thumb.jpg.210021261e7c5af33a03fa14c2ca88a8.jpg

kenya3_9046.thumb.jpg.0db4eb1467142e08a00afd53fceb4402.jpg

I'm going out of town this evening for a week. Sadly, no big cats where I'm going.  

Your adjustments seem to be making a difference. What did you adjust?

but anyway, it is a great sighting in nice light - wonderful and The first two are magical photo ops. Look forward to seeing what is next when you get back.

Edited by pault

COSMIC RHINO

Amy T  your photos are fine

on keeping  on the track 

• of road driving is not allowed in public reserves  and most of Ol Pejeta conservancy
  • most community  and private reserves allow of track driving but not always  in their full area
  • guides only leave the track if there is a good reason to ,they prefer not to damage the vegetation
Edited by COSMIC RHINO

4 minutes ago, COSMIC RHINO said:

on keeping  on the track 

• of road driving is not allowed in public reserves  and most of Ol Pejeta conservancy
  • most community  and private reserves allow of track driving but not always  in their full area
  • guides only leave the track if there is a good reason to ,they prefer not to damage the vegetation

it is not "most of" Ol Pejeta. Otherwise, correct but the third depends very much in the guide and the location.. :)

COSMIC RHINO

there are areas in Lewa  conservancy where no of track driving is allowed

• as the vehicle would damage the plants
  • it is a wetland ,the vehicle would get stuck

there are other vehicles where it is severly rocky and the vehicle is likely to be damaged 

@AmyT What a fantastic trip! Really enjoying your TR. Your photos are great.....no need to be concerned about them at all. Depth of colour in them is superb.

Amboseli still looking good. I was at the Porini camp there 4 or 5 years ago. Your TR is making me think a re-visit is needed. All those elephant sightings.....you can never have too many elephant sightings.

Great photos of a clear Kili and with elephants!

And then it continued with cheetahs, rhinos and much more at Ol Pejeta. And a kill. wow!

I loved the inclusion of the maps. I too am a map person.

Looking forward to further updates about this trip!

COSMIC RHINO

Amy T  your photos  are great

anything published takes a long ,long time

in some cases  the pros live in the reserve

8 hours ago, COSMIC RHINO said:

on keeping  on the track 

The reason I asked, @COSMIC RHINO, is because that was not my experience at Porini Rhino in Ol Pejeta a few years ago.  The only time we weren't offroad was if it was too rocky, too muddy or there was no way through the prickly bushes, and that was just common sense, not any sort of rule.  I was surprised to read it when AmyT said that there was some restriction in place as that was not at all what I experienced.  Maybe the conservancy has added some restrictions since 2014.

Pamshelton3932

While I didn't specifically ask about driving off-road, we only ventured off nearer to Rhino Camp, never closer to the main area near the other camps. 

We did get closer to see honeymooning lions, but never for any other reason other than when were were close to camp. I'd have liked to have gotten closer to rhinos but was told that we couldn't where we were.  Unfortunately, the rhinos preferred being far away from the roads while we were in the area.

Seniortraveller

When I was at Porini Rhino in February, I was told that the eastern part, where the rhinos were generally to be found, was strictly no off roading. I think this was the area where self drivers were allowed.

Really enjoying reading this @AmyT, and most impressed by your photography skills.

@AmyT those are gorgeous captures of the cheetahs. and you have wonderful scenic pictures of Kili with the animals posing in front. so don't fret about your photos too much as they capture your sense of wonderment and pleasure and I for one am glad to have shared it. Makes me want to go to Amboseli too.

everyone stops for the buffalo! cute pict of the peekaboo cuties!

Thanks to @everyone :D  

I'm looking forward to posting more photos when I am back home on Sunday. I'm missing Kenya, even while on vacation again, talking the ears off of anyone who will listen about the wonders of safari.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, pault said:

Your adjustments seem to be making a difference. What did you adjust?

To be honest, I'm not sure! Either I increased the shutter speed, or I switched it to Auto.  I was changing the settings for a while until I found a groove.  Guess I have to go back and see what worked.  ;)

Eles in front of Kili is such a fortunate shot.  It looks like the rhino was in Amboseli or Selankay, is that right?  Any comments from the guide on rhino #s or how they are doing?

The Selenkay and Amboseli map was very helpful.

Camera adjustment--successful!  Great shots.

The young hyenas and mating lions are just wonderful too.

• 2 weeks later...
COSMIC RHINO

looks like there a whole lot more restrictions at Ol Pejeta around Sweetwaters than around Poroni camp

Lovely report, enjoyed it very much. Photographs are great! 

My first ever safari is coming up this September. We will be going to Amboseli, Ol Pejeta and Mara. So, I am even more fascinated by your report. We are however staying mostly in Serena lodges except for the last two nights in porini lion camp. Can't wait to read your remaining report.

@Gilgamesh, thank you for the "goose"... I've been busy with summertime projects but my calendar is clear tomorrow... back to my trip report!

OK! Trying to wrap my head around the end of summer (distressing for school personnel) but also missing Kenya.  More of the cheetahs. The cubs eventually moved away from mum and laid down in the road.  Another vehicle from Porini Rhino had moved away for their sundowners; the cubs decided to keep an eye on them.  kenya3_8920.thumb.jpg.5e13c5795e72ca2b95be4076d5da873a.jpgKenya3_9089.thumb.jpg.9ee0af60fb465b9a70be16cdbd65dd37.jpgKenya3_9099.thumb.jpg.a7101ee90a77c8ce28de598d38e9af0a.jpgKenya3_9122.thumb.jpg.55b36799d28cb1179546633b27cdbe00.jpg

We were delighted to learn that Nanyuki airport was very busy and that we might be the very first commercial flight out of the Ol Pejeta airstrip.  That meant we got to sleep a wee bit later!KY0_9209.thumb.JPG.9aedd958e2c34196a7daa901f7c10912.JPG

We flew to Naboisho airstrip and began the fourth leg of our trip, to Porini Cheetah Camp.