PC's Better year

Peter Connan

3 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

but 193 looks as if it has a red not pale eye.

Good point. How far east is Siyaya? f. Cape or f Southern Brown-throated may fit better.

Or so my brand new copy of SASOL's "Larger illustrated guide to Birds of Southern Africa" suggests.

4 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Is that just larger pictures or a larger book @Galana

It is a larger book. Just under 10" x 7" or for those who do...245mm x 175mm. I think the pictures are the same plates but with the larger book size they look better. I like the book despite the weight. Now for somewhere to test drive it.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:31 PM, Galana said:

Good point. How far east is Siyaya? f. Cape or f Southern Brown-throated may fit better.

Or so my brand new copy of SASOL's "Larger illustrated guide to Birds of Southern Africa" suggests.

Definately not Cape, I know them, and very far out of range for Brown-throated. Siyaya is in Dinokeng, pretty much 50km directly north of Pretoria.

Now I obviously don't have the quality of books that you have, and my books pretty much only show the males, but the Lesser Masked is the only one I have been able to find pictures of that is withing range where non-adult-males are this yellow?

194) Double-Banded Plover

Driebandstrandkiewiet Charadrius tricollaris

ThreebandODP.thumb.jpg.0844cdcf4e125366371753819a8072a7.jpg

ThreebandODP-2.jpg.4e19a72a37212d5b212f5c7259f03a39.jpg

12 November, Siyaya.

Edited by Peter Connan

195) European Bee-eater

Europese Byevreter Merops apiaster

I apologise, they were mostly a little bit too far away, but I have never seen behaviour like this. A whole flock came over and started diving in, carrying on for about 5 minutes...

Bee-eaterODP.jpg.42fbbcb1dde6bf1bf1a326914d48141a.jpg

Bee-eaters1ODP.thumb.jpg.0d0ac6249a1aa2ee2059754618aa0c51.jpg

Bee-eaters2ODP.jpg.27353dfa56b2dfbe026a60523ea68458.jpg

Bee-eaters3ODP.jpg.11bfb18260d96cd912f878bfc1ecb0d8.jpg

12 Nov, Siyaya

Excuse me Peter, but it seems you forgot one band with your plover. :)

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

True. The clue is in the latin name.

Interesting behaviour with the BeeEaters. Perhaps us Europeans need to cool off more in Africa? I know I do.

@Peter Connan

Posts 352 & 354 above newly acquired is published in RSA. It's good.

9 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Indeed. And I got the files named correctly, and still managed to bugger it up...

Thanks @Galana. I will look into it. Here's hoping i get a book store gift voucher for Christmass...

Thank you @PeterHG

Edited by Peter Connan

196) Wood's Sandpiper

Bosruiter Tringa glareola

WoodyODP.jpg.e29f736a758376504e880e26922c8ed0.jpg

Woody2ODP.jpg.3fc545c98cf178316efbaaf3ac9e1dd2.jpg

12 November, Siyaya

7 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Wood's Sandpiper

Just "Wood" will suffice.:blink:

197) Steppe Buzzard

Bruinjakkalsvoel Buteo vulpinus

SteppeODP.jpg.d3016be435d445ec873693df827569b1.jpg

SteppeODP-2.jpg.2bb84c18e940253ebd113fe86b0cd669.jpg

11 November, Dinokeng

198) Diederick's Cuckoo

Diederikkie Chrysococcyx caprius

A personal favourite which, just for once, posed at eye level and in half-decent light, so apologies for the overload...

DiedieODP-3.thumb.jpg.750e39d57abf3330959bd2bc46f5026b.jpg

DiedieODP.thumb.jpg.1786001ccf976d880bb2826cf3f49ed7.jpg

DiedieODP-4.thumb.jpg.eafb71e42fad4793981ec41980b3be5b.jpg

DiedieODP-2.thumb.jpg.d7cb8d3aa5a4bddfb24336bc832db958.jpg

Now just for one with a clean background...

11 November, Siyaya Lodge, Dinokeng

Edited by Peter Connan

Beautiful Deiderick shots. You have got rid of the jinx. The first ones are always the toughest so a clear background won't be far away. No apologies needed.

Are you saving something good for the double century?

Thank you very much @Tdgraves and @Galana.

Not as good as this, but still a favourite. However, this was the last one from this location...

Elsa Hoffmann

Peter the Diederikie is gorgeous. I wish I could see it myself. 

Thank you @Elsa Hoffmann. Next time you come visit up here in summer, you need to arrange a day's escape. You will see them at Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens.

On the weekend of the 18th and 19th, we went on a 4x4 trail known as the Rust de Winter Bundu trail. Hosted by the 4x4 ATV Club, it is effectively a day and a half's meandering drive on some very tough roads near the town of Rust de Winter.

The first night is spent at the club's main campsite. Situated on the banks of a river, this is perhaps the most beautiful campsite it has ever been my privilege to visit. Lush green lawns and massive old trees (mostly Apiesdoring), it is a wonderland for birds, and a declared bird sanctuary. Here's the bag:

199) Burchell's Starling

Grootglansspreeu Lamprotornis australis

BurchellODP.thumb.jpg.35b15a0574e1c65eed6c2f9ca6582e46.jpg

Burchell2ODP.jpg.4bea81483be1c6ade4129c1e94e5cc79.jpg

17 November, Rust de Winter

Elsa Hoffmann

@Peter Connan I would need more than a day - as I also want to go to Rietvlei and this place and that place and you know how difficult my situation is when I visit up country. But that doesnt mean i wont try next time... I would love to get that Cuckoo. You have so many opportunities. So different from us. 

Says the lady who photographed a Klaas's Cuckoo chick being fed by it's much smaller host RIGHT IN HER GARDEN yesterday, and is less than ten minutes drive from both Rondevlei and Strandfontein!

We may have different opportunities, but I really doubt that I have many more opportunities...

Anyway, don't set your sights too high. Just a morning on each visit can already do wonders @Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

@Peter Connan No doubt we might even have more opportunities than you do - but they are very different. And thats probably why traveling is so very important. For me anyway. 

9 hours ago, Elsa Hoffmann said:

And thats probably why traveling is so very important.

Count me in on same reason :)! As for going birding with @Peter Connan, do NOT miss that opportunity!! You will have a lovely day out, with or without a Deidrick's Cuckoo (and I can vouch that Peter will do his best for you to get a photo of one ... or two). Speaking of cuckoos, will that Klaas chick still be around in mid January?