Antee

Among Aardvarks and cats

Antee

DAY 6

This was the day to leave Khwai for the 4-5 hour drive back to Maun.

Therefore it was only time for a short morning drive before leaving.

As the Wild dog den was close to my campsite and we were short of time, then this was a nice ending to finish here.

It was empty...

But when the first rays of the sun hit the ground they came back from an obviously very succesful hunt.

Have never seen such a fat dog as this Alpha male with blood on his face.

59d073c72091c_Africanwilddog-45.thumb.jpg.e28b868ea777b0b8b507d3b874336077.jpg

He searched for the sun to warm up in the chilly morning.

59d073cea93e9_Africanwilddog-47.thumb.jpg.06dfe03af6cd56e45d5d91a2322f7800.jpg

Then it was time for all of the puppys to come out and feed. 

Yesterday only a single brave one came out but this morning, for the first time, the whole den went out.

59d073d3ae07a_Africanwilddog-46.thumb.jpg.6b5c5dc934b003baf888435c25a258f3.jpg

I counted them to at least seven puppys.

59d073d69fad5_Africanwilddog-49.thumb.jpg.5dab17091a93befcad5ca9cb34562c1c.jpg

59d073fb1f99d_Africanwilddog-54.thumb.jpg.50f475bf0977df1affddadf328091999.jpg

The Alpha male regurgitate some food for his offsprings...

59d07410bea12_Africanwilddog-58.thumb.jpg.b6a0b8e0c6a324c9a102e32b9db8a73b.jpg

59d0741fdd2bf_Africanwilddog-60.thumb.jpg.64e37695de24edc03f8a35c6b9f0c89b.jpg

First taste of meat? 

59d0744a9a3c6_Africanwilddog-61.thumb.jpg.d4c7f8900bb81a5daa29c04719580bd9.jpg

Our patience gave results in the end and we got some amazing Wild dog interaction. One of the goals of why I choosed Khwai at all. 

59d074565760c_Africanwilddog-63.thumb.jpg.250a4fe4389bcdaa51ab334793293a97.jpg

End of time and it was time for us to go back.

Very surprisingly I got a quick look at some Sable Antelopes crossing the road on the way back to camp. We hadn´t seen them or the Roan´s for the whole time even though we searched for them.

No wonder why they are called "Ghost antelope". They totally disappeared even though we went of in the bush to search for this guys, and I managed to only get a "proof picture"...

59d0746157481_Sableantelope.thumb.jpg.26fb3ce53d60c7aadfef3108f2262eef.jpg

Just before camp, a Dwarf Bittern had fished with great success.

59d0747be4873_Dwarfbittern-4.thumb.jpg.d697f57a715b7998d32646e0437e0efa.jpg

To summarize khwai, the following can be said:

+ If you love Botswana like I do and want to see Okavango in the very high season there is not much options if you are not willing to spend a fortune on it.

Khwai is one of those places were you can go and not being ruined. You don´t need the cost of flights for example. 

+ Very good and reliable Wild dog area. If you are into dogs, this is prime area.

+ Beautiful. Khwai is as beautiful as the rest of the Okavango. There is something special with the water, all the dead trees and the combination of dry and wet.

This is true wilderness.

+ Beautiful campsites. Both community and private.

- Can be crowded with self drives and other vehicles during certain sightings in the very high season. On the other hand you can also spend your own time the whole morning with Leopards. 

- If you want big herds of animals this is not the place to go. Instead you get a great biodiversity in a smaller scale. With better predator sightings than general game sightings. 

Oh yes... this trip report is not finished yet... I have one more place to go... 

Edited by Antee

ice

to add a little more insight:

- as we left the Concession a little bit later than you, we got to see more pup action, in the end we counted at least twelve different youngsters

- on the morning of the 20th (the day you left), we witnessed the pack hunting - and had the sighting of a lifetime: two dogs were chasing an impala in full speed..and had the misfortune to run straight (literally) into a pride of lions who had killed a wildebeest the night before...the lions were all over the poor front runner (the one in the back was lucky and got away)...now I am not going to tell the end of the story, I might save that for my own trip report or a video clip on my youtube channel

Antee
On 2017-10-01 at 8:57 AM, ice said:

to add a little more insight:

- as we left the Concession a little bit later than you, we got to see more pup action, in the end we counted at least twelve different youngsters

- on the morning of the 20th (the day you left), we witnessed the pack hunting - and had the sighting of a lifetime: two dogs were chasing an impala in full speed..and had the misfortune to run straight (literally) into a pride of lions who had killed a wildebeest the night before...the lions were all over the poor front runner (the one in the back was lucky and got away)...now I am not going to tell the end of the story, I might save that for my own trip report or a video clip on my youtube channel

@iceThen you have to get on with your trip report immediately! :) 

Edited by Antee

kittykat23uk

Great report, unfortunately we didn't get anywhere near as good sightings of the black footed cat as you did at Marrick. We missed the rhinos at Mokala. Can you recall how much your day trip to Mokala was booking with Marrick directly? What time did you get there for and roughly what time did you leave? Any idea how much the transfers were to the airport? I know it's not that far from Kimberly, next time I go I might do that part directly with them, rather than as part of a wider tour. Thanks! 

Antee
12 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

Great report, unfortunately we didn't get anywhere near as good sightings of the black footed cat as you did at Marrick. We missed the rhinos at Mokala. Can you recall how much your day trip to Mokala was booking with Marrick directly? What time did you get there for and roughly what time did you leave? Any idea how much the transfers were to the airport? I know it's not that far from Kimberly, next time I go I might do that part directly with them, rather than as part of a wider tour. Thanks! 

Thanx.

Sorry to hear about the Black footed cat and White Rhino. 

I paid 1000 Rand for my daytrip to Mokala. We were there very early when the park opened and then the whole day. We had lunch inside the park. 

I paid nothing for airport transfer. It was included in accommodation cost. 

kittykat23uk

Thanks Antee

Antee

As I told you, this trip report is not really finished yet.
After my time in South africa and Botswana I ended up in Swaziland. Main reason just to see another country. But I spent one night in Mlilwane for some small Antelopes who is seldom seen. 

Mlilwane is Swazilands oldest protected area and is the most frequently visited reserve in this tiny country. 

The reserve is quite hilly. If you look close, there is some Red hartebeest at the bottom

Mlilwane3.thumb.jpg.4c96d85c79505585f33685843681caa3.jpg

And it´s no surprise that there is some climbing experts here...

Klipspringer2.thumb.jpg.d0f21179dc32830d63f0d56d2e714dd0.jpg

Klipspringers!
Always on the watch.

Klipspringer6.thumb.jpg.b551c2e0aa107dbbddc567c8bca46e4c.jpg

I stayed at Reilly´s Rock Hilltop Lodge inside the reserve. This is a particularly good place to stay if you want to see some of the small Antelopes around as they like to come out in open space in the evening.

Like the Suni Antelope.

Suni.thumb.jpg.02ee4592679ac98fd3b0a3879c5e7b42.jpg

Sometimes a bit shy for the photographer...

Suni2.thumb.jpg.6dc54ab40468aded7814ab02a24beaee.jpg

Blue duiker. 

The smallest duiker of them all. 

59f82245c468e_Blueduiker3.thumb.jpg.0767fb98a924e98d55126f2f85056656.jpg

59f8216b70d62_Blueduiker4.thumb.jpg.cb337a7aed79a16cd65e13983632604e.jpg

Red forest duiker.

59f82173e8776_Redduiker.thumb.jpg.b8470f45abc93a99eefa7d6499bac5ae.jpg

The crested guineafowl is also abundant here in Mlilwane.

59f821c21820d_CrestedGuineafowl.thumb.jpg.78af9a549a947d08be7be49e58f4370f.jpg

59f821add0cfe_Crestedguineafowl3.thumb.jpg.b44052ed543f4dd7a751d1258fd5d65c.jpg

A Leopard tortoise also use to come and stay in the lodge. Still very unclear if he pays for all inclusive or not... 

59f821d101abc_Leopardtortoise-2.thumb.jpg.43eca25b2bf9445a2dd9d78106c7d7a6.jpg

Beautifully colored Southern rock agama basking in the morning sun.

59f822086ef5b_Southernrockagama2.thumb.jpg.cff7ac3e3d86427909f178f5255eec07.jpg

With this little detour this trip report is now officially over!

THE END! 

See you soon in another report... 

Edited by Antee

michael-ibk

Thanks for a great report with many awesome sightings. I´m particularly delighted to see photos of Blue and Red Duiker, not sure someone has posted pics before. Looking forward to your next report(s).

Antee
11 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Thanks for a great report with many awesome sightings. I´m particularly delighted to see photos of Blue and Red Duiker, not sure someone has posted pics before. Looking forward to your next report(s).

I know. You never see any picture of them. Which is strange as they are quite widely distributed and also present in South Africa. For exampel in Kruger and Kwazulu-natal which is heavy visited. 

Well, I guess they are alot easier to see in Mlilwane.

Edited by Antee

Peter Connan

Wonderful trip report, thank you!

Do you happen to know if there are camping facilities at Mlilwane?

Antee
On 2017-11-02 at 4:51 AM, Peter Connan said:

Wonderful trip report, thank you!

Do you happen to know if there are camping facilities at Mlilwane?

@Peter Connan Yes yes, no problem to camp here. 

https://biggameparks.wordpress.com/category/accommodation/campingcaravanning/

Edited by Antee

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Antee

Atravelynn
On 9/24/2017 at 5:46 AM, wilddog said:

The pup shots are both wonderful and terrifying. The Alpha female may have been unaware that this single pup had left the den. Like you I hope the little one survived the onslaught

My thoughts exactly.  They are tough little guys, though. 

What luck with the leopard cub!

samapi

Woww !! another great report about Marrick Farm.

Thanks for sharing all these information about this unique place. Can't wait to be there but still 4 months to wait...

Just to make  sure I understood properly: the sable and roan antelopes were also in the Marrick property? No need to go to the Mokala Park?

The Kwai section of the report with all these leopards sightings is also very nice

kittykat23uk

Sable and Roan are kept on the farm as livestock for the hunting part of the business. You can spend a morning feeding them. They are beautiful,  but not "tickable" if you're into that sort of thing. But I would definitely recommend a trip into Mokala  on one of your days. And organise this through Marrick if you can. I think you will get the best out of it as I feel we missed seeing the best of this park, especially the rhinos.. 

But also spend one morning at least with the meerkats if you can. That was a wonderful experience! 

Antee
7 hours ago, samapi said:

Woww !! another great report about Marrick Farm.

Thanks for sharing all these information about this unique place. Can't wait to be there but still 4 months to wait...

Just to make  sure I understood properly: the sable and roan antelopes were also in the Marrick property? No need to go to the Mokala Park?

The Kwai section of the report with all these leopards sightings is also very nice

@samapi

Like the above poster already mentioned. They are not wild in Marrick but you will see them. 

Mokala is a beautiful park and definitely worth a visist! 

samapi

Thank you all for your replies

This topic is quite old. Unless updating a photographic thread with new images, please consider starting a new discussion. Thank you.