Lewa conservancy and safari camp a place of the heart and soul

COSMIC RHINO

offshorebirder
6 hours ago, COSMIC RHINO said:

some young men wondered   if a padded  office chair  would be  suitable   for  37 hours  in a row of computer  gaming

Egad!

COSMIC RHINO

that is what I thought it is not possible to stay awake for almost 2 days 

having my own good  photos on the  wall has a strong  emotional appeal 

printing is not that  expensive (9 x 13 inches  $9) and I have  my own laminator    

• 8 months later...
COSMIC RHINO

2019 TRIP  THE EARTH MADE SACRED, THE EARTH MADE GRAND, THE EARTH MADE SUPREME

two  weeks  of  utter delight  

every visit is  different  and wonderful

it was  a bit dry but  water was still around

young rhinos are wonderfull ,  good elephants ,  grevys  zebras  and reticulated  giraffe 

with  so much  water last year  ,nothing could be the same, but it was still great

highlights  include  watching elephants  paying  respects  to a family members who had passed on, eles in the mud, rhinos,rhinos and rhinos 

giraffes  in many views  including  facing  mt kenya and to  quote Cole Porter '"birds do it,lets fall in love "

another highlight was seeing a mother  cheetah with cubs unsuccessfully stalk a Grant's gazelle from a respectful distance 

there  is a wonderful  fell in being  in a place  which  is getting it right 

I  did  not miss  a single drive, which often began  10 to 15 mins early

off to botswana  this  morning  

this keybord  is unfamilar  and not easy to use sorry for any typos

utter  delight 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

• 2 weeks later...
COSMIC RHINO

now things are over  and  I  am back at a hotel business centre, checked out and waiting for the night flight

sorry  for the  typos the  keyboard is unfamilar and not easy to use

t

COSMIC RHINO

I could  have done without the  flight delayed  in Perth , but at least  I arrived on time

my  transfer  driver did not take  that long  to arrive , which did not  stop me getting several offers from taxi drivers  for a good price

unfortunately  the traffic was busy and slow , what they call rush hour

I hope that someone was going to be all right , on the trip to the Weston hotel  there was a ambulance with the sirens on accompanied by  2 police motorbikes  with the sirens on ,trying to get through the busy traffic

it was not at all easy , no one was giving way

t

COSMIC RHINO

airport transfer drivers  assume  that everyone goes to the Mara

I  eventually  got to the hotel  which is very close to Wilson airport, the reason I stay there , checked  in  and rechecked my packing , put a few things into storage , had dinner

I  always  note where my room is , as the hotel has  multiple stairs  and passageways 

Welcome back @COSMIC RHINO I am sure your soul is fully refreshed by your lengthy trip. 

COSMIC RHINO

well  my driver told me  about a different  flight time , leaving earlier  than planned

I was in the foyer  in advance  of the collection time  

a noisy battery  operated kitchen timer is a wonderful  tool to keep me on time 

I  had not noticed  that I had been switched to safarilink  instead of air kenya

this is the first time it has happened to me , the driver and people at the camp tells me that it happens from time to time

the  Gamewatchers  rep helps me with checkin  and I get my boarding pass , they are printing them now  in addition to giving out reuseable cards

well I  only get the printed one

to stop loosing it I put it  in the confrence tag holder I take with me , great for international flights , loosing a boarding card would be real trouble

COSMIC RHINO

I  am delighted and refreshed after   my trip amongst real life , not constantly surrounded by hyper consumerism

at  Safarilink  link the terminal is busy ,  the flights  leave gradually

nearly everybody is going to the Mara , well those going to Keekorok are in for a suprise , not the area I  would go to

my  flight leaves  on time ,with 3  other stops on the way 

nanunky  airstrip  is in use again the  reasonably  smooth, no potholes  left now 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

The  flight  is reasonably smooth but as a caution I take Kwell tablets  and use seabands

the complimentary copy of TRAVEL AFRICA magazine  is interesting ,  I take  it as it is the only time of year I get to see it

COSMIC RHINO

I knew  that things were  going well as I had meet the  camp managers  on the  ORITA transfer  to plane bus

they  were taking the same SAA  flight to Nairobi

I  was told that the rhinos  were doing well and there were new baby rhinos 

I keep  on going  back  to the same place as the wildlife is so    wonderful here , the animals  are visitor  friendly , not switish here  and  it feels great to be in a place  where things are going right 

the plane eventually  gets to the Lewa airstrip, there  is now  seperate  male and female toilet buildings

the  thing I am interested in  who will I get as my guide , so Daniel  who  I know a bit but have only had  for one drive  will be by guide for week one , I find out later I will have Alex for week  2

COSMIC RHINO

There is a brief  gamedrive to camp , animals are around but it is rather dry 

I can't wait to get out in the afternoon 

I keep on coming  back to the same camp as it has all that I need, the guides are great , and with the picnic breakfast it suits my aim of spending as my time in the bush as possible 

there  is an acting  managing couple ,they are both  friendly 

I get to my tent ,sort a few things out ,then lunch , a brief rest , then the gamedrive 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

I  will  only give  a brief  description of the camp,  more complete  details have been given before in the earlier parts of this report

It  is a luxury tented camp, but not lavish like  a lot of places are 

It has 13 tents , one for families of up to 4 and the others sleep  2 

they are numbered 00  to 12

The  tents are seriously large, very high , with a king size bed, lots of extra room , a bit of furniture including a writing desk ( please note  it is a good place to make a trip journal to help with your trip report ), wooden terrace, thatch roof ,bathroom and power charging facilities .

the tents are on raised  platforms ,with floorboards in the main body of the tent and a concete fllor in the bathroom

a simple solar torch is issued to each tent , although like me you might like to bring your own 

the main body of the tent  is canvas , the bathroom is  brick  with a abode finish  with timber windows

if there is any possibility of having to use the bathroom at night keep the torch in the bed, or leave a light on , the surrounding area is totally dark

the tents are connected  by gravel paths, with night lighting , generously spaced  for privacy , with  lovely bush inbetween 

there is a powerboard  attached  to the  writing table  which now accepts  all plugs  except  STH African without the use of a adapter , previously  adapters were leant to guests by the camp but they were never returned 

the powerboard  accepts USB charges 

it works better without an adapter , as it is the metal prongs straight in rather than through more plastic 

there is now  small  room safe

the  main lounge,bar and dinning  rooms is very large , it was the original farmhouse

it was  some lounges, high quality art photos on the wall , some box games and  books

the area is very large relative  to the number of guests

lunch is eaten on the terrace  or around the pool , birds come to visit at this time .

meal and drink service  is prompt ,courteous and  of the highest quality 

there is a professional Italian coffee  machine in the bar

vehicle allocation at the camp is generous, they fit 6 passengers only , and often less people are in them 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Lewa  conservancy  deliberetly  keeps down the number of visitors   to avoid disturding  the animals 

there is a environmental  code for the  tour operators , who are all  members or friends  of the original landowning family 

only green 4WD vehicles  are allowed  on the reserve, except  at the time of the marathon when mini buses are permitted to move the large number of participants and spectators

there are no large commercial tourism opertors on the reserve 

occasionally someone will come with their operators  green 4WD and  guide, the group must sign the Lewa  code and  be accompanied  by a guide from the camp where they are staying

COSMIC RHINO

the  luggage   on the lightplane bush flights  is interesting  

I  have  always  been notified  of the requirement for only 15 kg total hand and checked  luggage , but this is not being enforced

I make  all my allowance  count  by using a strong soft bag which is light when empty

recently at Wilson airport I could see small suitcases being taken to the planes

previously  in 2016  an entire group  arrived at Lewa Safari Camp  with  medium sized suitcases saying  that their agent had not told them what to take , the initial  Safarilink checkin suggestion  was to leave all the bags in storage 

this  year  an American  couple got through with  non standard luggage  saying their agents had told them that the international flight  requirement of 44  pounds was on on bushflights

COSMIC RHINO

there were not that many guests around  but the camp stays open all year around

Lewa  House is usually  open at this time, but was having the thatch roofs  renewed, so it was closed at this time

Turns  out that Daniel my guide for  week 1  is  very  interesting , well informed ,great  at finding animals   and  a safe and carefull driver.

I do not  know  how guides can find animals at such large distance , I have  heard their suggestions before ,  I say thanks  they  go there  and  I see at close  distance what they could pick out from a long way away

I have been offered an explaination  of we are used to the look of the empty landscape  and the shape of animals , can see the land a long way of and can put the two together

this is done with binoculars  and often but not always  from a area of raised land.

at one point  Daniel  said there is an elephant heard over there , I said thanks,  a long drive  of at least 5km begins  then a delightfull family with  young calves turns up , plus reclining  black rhinos in the distance 

whenever  I have  gone  with anyone else  to the area around the forest ,there are not many animals  there  and since few  visit the area they   are skitish

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

offshorebirder

Thanks for this trip report @COSMIC RHINO.    As always, I am happy to help convert and post your scans of photos if you would like.

COSMIC RHINO

the standard  food  is  Italian influenced  light  food  with individual  requirements  catered for as much as  possible

the camp  began as  owned  and operted  by Lewa conservancy

it  was put out to tender , and the management  went to Cheli and peacock  who upgraded it

that is where the Italian family influence came from , C AND P were acquired by elewana , very little changed

as much as they can individual requirements are catered to  , it is difficult to get berries and nuts

my food requirements  are  based on health and environmental factors   means no red meat, salt, sugar or soy 

the kids menu since someone was asking can bring out things like hot chips, chicken nuggets and pizza 

COSMIC RHINO

yes  I  will be printing  photos  and sending some on to offshore  birder  to convert from pdf for posting 

it takes a while  to find which photos are on which SD cards , it will be a bit easier to some point  this year as  I noted  the change of cards  in by trip journal , the cards are numbered

then  at one point I stoped noting the card changes in my trip journal

just now I am thinking of this image of a white

rhino mum

& calf with torn tred& distant mt Kenya view

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

the  elephants  at  very relaxed  at Lewa  and can come  very  close

more  eles  in Botswana , but the experience  is different  but not necessarily  better 

COSMIC RHINO

most drinks 🍸 are included in the standard 📦

people here know that I am here for wildlife and the bush

COSMIC RHINO

back in SYDNEY now to the unit 11 PM last nigh

rather tired 😫 execpt for Few people the place does not feel like home

COSMIC RHINO

something to make the Game Warden happy light plane 15 kg limits made me think of a temporary beard

no shaver then get rid of it

in Nairobi as my passport photo is clean shaven

COSMIC RHINO

I have just had a long session at that office works photo printer

not easy but I I found all the special sitings I wanted to great elephants, rhinoceroses b and

w mums ,calves

COSMIC RHINO

greeting ceremony elephants bone grief giraffe love ❤ and facing Mt Kenya

all wonderful