It's True-Chada Katavi and Greystoke Mahale are best possible combination

optig

@Atravelynn Due to my highly limited photography skills all my shots were quite random. At Greystoke Mahale you don't book a chimp trek per se they simply go on one every day that you are there except for the day when you arrive. I sincerely have to say that i just loved relaxing at the camp and reading a book on my iPad  on the last day I was there. Yes as you know the lake is simply one of the most gorgeous places that I've ever been in Africa. Bill Gates said that it was it was his favorite place in the world even if he did n't see the chimps. Please take care because as you know you also belong in the same category as @Kitsafari and @Sangeeta.

Thank you for a fascinating report. Your chimp photos in particular are lovely.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:29 AM, optig said:

Next I went to Grey stoke Mahale where I stayed for four nights. I personally feel it offers a far better primate interaction than either gorilla or chimp trekking in Uganda.

Wow, that claim sets the bar pretty high, but then you did a pretty great job of backing it up with your photos of the chimps.  Very impressive.  Your description of being able to hear them around you while in camp is enticing.  I can't think of another place in Africa, at least not one that is decently accessible right now, where that would be a possibility, can you?

On paper, a Katavi/Mahale combination seems to offer a great contrast and variety of wildlife and scenery, and your narrative and photos do a wonderful job of confirming that.  Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us.

Thanks for sharing @optig these are two parks I'd like to visit someday so this report is really interesting to read.  

Thanks for this report @optig - very enjoyable, your photos of the chimps are really great - you captured their expressions really nicely.  I was actually thinking of going to Mahale this year with a friend and pairing it with Ikuka but then I ended up feeling I needed to postpone the trip. I still want to go to Ikuka but now you've made me consider possibly doing Chada Katavi with Mahale when I do end up making the trip. I knew it would be more economical to do so but I didn't know Chada Katavi would be so good, so thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry you hurt yourself but that is interesting to hear that you felt you had so much of a good experience with your other two treks that it didn't matter.  I totally know what you mean about not being able to take it all in when you have such an incredible experience - I have had that happen as well.

I enjoyed your report very much.  Don't sell yourself short on your writing skills.  Your enthusiasm and enjoyment shine through and that is what is important to me!

great chimp pics @optig!  I loved Mahale and Katavi too---the setting is simply amazing.  We saw a croc or two, plus the hippos, bush pigs visited my banda at night, red colobus, red tailed monkeys, yellow baboons and of course chimps...plus some nice birdlife...not likely to see leopard or other wildlife but the chimps are definitely the draw!  Good to see a picture of Mwiga!  His personality and enthusiasm for the chimps is infectious!

@gatoratlarge  I was either too tired or injured to take the boat trip so I didn't see any hippos or crocs. It doesn't matter because I saw so many hippos as well as crocodiles at Chada Katavi.  I also saw red colobus monkeys and yellow baboons. I can't say that the birdlife was so fantastic at Mahale but I did see a peregrine falcon for the first time. Mwiga and his fellow guide Mateus were just wonderful as was the Belgian manager Julien Polet.