A Mana Pools Photographic Trip Report

BonitaApplebum

BonitaApplebum

Hi all.

Just returned from Mana Pools, having spent 6 days walking with the wildlife in this beautiful part of Zimbabwe.

I traveled with WildEye, a Johannesburg based outfit known for their photography specific tours, led by professional photographers. My hope was to find myself with like minded people hoping to enjoy the park at a slower, more patient pace. For me, Mana Pools posed a bit of a conundrum. It's not exactly where you'd go to maximize photographic opportunities. There are other parks if you're simply interested in photographing as much as possible. It was the idea of walking on foot with the wildlife and really feeling connected to the landscape that enticed me to visit Mana Pools. I felt that if I were to really embrace the experience, not only would it be especially rewarding in a way previous safaris weren't, but I would also find unique photographic opportunities as a result. These days I feel if I relax and go with the flow, bush karma will deliver me great sightings and fun photos.

I camped with Mwinilunga Safaris, owned by Tess and Dave. I know others here have stayed with them so I'll just add to the record. Dave and Tess are two of the most wonderful, charming people you could hope to meet. We didn't want for anything, and were constantly amazed with the service they were able to produce in the bush. The camp is simple, comfortable, and beautifully situated on the Zambezi. Every day and night we were visited by elephant, hippos, etc. It was truly a wild experience. I recommend this camp unreservedly. 

Marlon Du Toit was the WildEye guide and photographer that led this tour. He's young, energetic, and passionate about the wildlife. He's also an incredible photographer and his perspective and tips led to photographic opportunities that I don't think I would have had otherwise. 

Mana Pools is of course famous for a few things. First, I was really hoping to spend time with wild dogs. I had never seen them before and this was a huge draw for me to Mana Pools. Second, I was excited to photograph elephants in the woodlands. I find photographing elephants quite difficult, because I think there's often no sense of scale. This is especially true out on the plains of the Serengeti, for example. I loved the idea of photographing the elephants in a different context. Of course, meeting Boswell, one of Africa's most famous elephants, and perhaps seeing him stand up was on my wishlist as well.

On to the photos. Walking (and sitting) with wild dogs was an incredible experience. As they grew comfortable, we were able to approach very closely and spent hours with them. I'm not sure who was tracking who in this photo!

37364862334_1ed859a8d6_b.jpg

I loved how the great trees of Mana dwarfed these giants.

24265592358_679fe35dc4_b.jpg

You've got to be on your guard more with buffalo than just about any other animal when on foot. Lions mock charge 90% of the time so if you can hold your nerve you're fine. If a buffalo comes for you, however, you better find your way up the nearest tree.

26298275349_c2741ef5fd_b.jpg

38086389792_1ab455caef_b.jpg

38117717471_d27864c96b_b.jpg

24245543678_8644d29ab6_b.jpg

38086399662_17422a692e_b.jpg

On our last full day, we found him. The famous Boswell.

24221695298_4dde8ea101_b.jpg

And here he is performing his most famous party trick.

37364863004_daf3d08f00_b.jpg

And finally, this is Boswell and family drinking from the Zambezi.

24245544008_dcfcc18c1c_b.jpg

I loved Mana Pools, despite the stifling heat. I must say, I don't know how I'll be able to get back into a Land Cruiser on my next safari after having walked in Mana Pools.

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions about the park, the experience, or the photos.

Beautiful photos! Got any more?

Edited by kittykat23uk

Stunning pictures.  I hope we get as lucky as you with the dogs when we are there next week for six nights.

What a photographic treat you have presented here, @BonitaApplebum! It is for quite some time I have your web site among my preferred photographers.

8 hours ago, BonitaApplebum said:

These days I feel if I relax and go with the flow, bush karma will deliver me great sightings and fun photos.

"Bush karma."  I'm so going to appropriate that term for my own use from now on, thank you very much. 

Wonderful photos. It was interesting to see that a good number of those you posted are in black and white. Was this just due to a personal aesthetic these days or were there technical reasons, such as harsh light, that led you to  that choice?

Edited by Alexander33

Stunning!

@PCNW, I know you will enjoy this TR!

Outstanding pictures, I also hope you will give us some more! When were your dates, maybe we overlapped? (I was on the plains Oct 17th-22nd.)

Beautiful photos. Please post more!

following @xelas advice I have also looked at your website-only the gorillas so far- really excellent!

BonitaApplebum
18 hours ago, Alexander33 said:

"Bush karma."  I'm so going to appropriate that term for my own use from now on, thank you very much. 

Wonderful photos. It was interesting to see that a good number of those you posted are in black and white. Was this just due to a personal aesthetic these days or were there technical reasons, such as harsh light, that led you to  that choice?

I took bush karma from someone else so you're more than welcome to it!

With regards to the photos, I went into the trip with the idea that I would do a lot of B&W. Personally, I think elephants look especially great in B&W. Something about the format really highlights the texture in their skin, in my opinion. The light was never too harsh early in the morning or late in the day, though the dry season does lend itself to some rather drab colours. 

BonitaApplebum
11 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Outstanding pictures, I also hope you will give us some more! When were your dates, maybe we overlapped? (I was on the plains Oct 17th-22nd.)

My tour was October 22-28, though we got hit with an incredible storm and were stuck in camp for an extra night. Looks like we just missed each other!

BonitaApplebum

This is a pretty classic Mana scene. It was 43C every day I was there and the dry season means food is hard to come by. Elephants stretch as far as they can into the trees, looking for whatever can sustain them.

It was 43C every day I was there and the dry season means food is hard to come by. Elephants stretch as far as they can into the trees, looking for whatever can sustain them.

38115802292_11f9079ce2_b.jpg

Love the black and white.  I just realized that you are a fellow Canadian and a neighbour as I live in South Surrey.

BonitaApplebum
1 hour ago, Raelond said:

Love the black and white.  I just realized that you are a fellow Canadian and a neighbour as I live in South Surrey.

That's great. I'm on the North Shore. I hope you have a great time in Mana Pools!

Wonderful photos @BonitaApplebum - takes me back to my wonderful stay in Mana Pools. So glad you got to see the legendary Boswell and great to hear he is well and still doing his thing. 

@BonitaApplebum wonderful photography.  I love the elephant B&W especially. Thank you.

BonitaApplebum

Another one I came across. Always remember to look both ways before exiting your tent!

38215886836_b5b3ab1896_b.jpg

gorgeous pics!  Love the Wild dogs and Boswell and the hippo! :D

Oh so lovely images.  Looks like a hugely successful trip.  

• 2 weeks later...
BonitaApplebum

A few more. My favourite time in Mana was spent with these giants in the woodlands.

37831976584_5869e2a4fc_b.jpg

26772257349_794547ab6b_b.jpg

@BonitaApplebum stunning pictures- both the monochromatic ones that I agree better bring out the pachyderms- Nick Brandt’s work is only in this format- but also your color pictures. The image of two dogs baring teeth looking up is one that is better in full color. 

Thanks for for sharing and know many of us have missed seeing your work on this board. 

• 2 weeks later...
BonitaApplebum

Hi all.

Another one of Boswell tiptoeing for snacks.

38826361012_82e8191fd3_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

What dates?  Mana Pools in B &W, very artistic!  Love the hippos outside the tent.  Great question:  Who is tracking who?  You chose well in company and location!

• 3 weeks later...
vikramghanekar

Lovely pictures!

I travelled with Wild Eye in July 2016 to Mana Pools. Morkel Erasmus was the photography guide (I added a couple of days to the regular trip with him as a private guide.)

It was fantastic. I don't think I have had so much fun on any other trip!

Thanks for sharing!

Vikram