Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Guess what!!!!!

I decided to pay for a private biopsy as I was desperate to move forward on my prostate problem and get that sorted before the date for my back operation at the end of October.

The biopsy wasn't a problem but being catheterised for a week wasn't particularly pleasant, a bit like being on some sort of dog's training lead where a wrong move is punished with a quick sharp shock. 

Anyway, it's out now and I have the results of my biopsy too.

After the scan I was told it was 95% likely I had cancer.

I haven't!

I feel a few beers coming on as soon as I get home.

Thanks for your support, I'm hoping I'll get to meet a few of you in person one of these days. 

That is wonderful news, indeed, @Dave Williams ! I’ll join the others here raising a glass to your good health, a succesful outcome  of the back operation and many more of your excellent contributions here!

Peter Connan

Wonderful news indeed!

Great news Dai bach,

I had had a Glass or two before logging on  tonight but I reckon there is room for another in order to join the others in toasting your health.

2010_0412Image0021.JPG.1b622bc03c0e4768732f1ccab55302ba.JPG

Cheers! Slainte! I would suggest a Welsh toast but I don't like cheese!:D

Dave Williams

No more health issues will be mentioned It's a new day and I'm back in the game.

In all probability I'm stuck in the UK for the rest of the year but we'll see what's about, might get a few new ones now I have a couple of months of bonus autumnal weather to play with.

I took my first pictures in many weeks this morning when there outside our bedroom window was a Sparrowhawk sat on an old bench staring at the bird feeders.Taken through the double glazing it's still a better effort than the one I post last February!

42319240710_dd7a1fc9c4_b.jpgSparrowhawk by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You see, @Dave Williams that there was worth receiving all those positive vibes from around the world! Money well spent, for receiving such wonderfull news. Now get your back in order, and you will be ready to race in BY 2019 :)

Fantastic news! I’ll raise 4-5 in your honour 

Very glad to hear that. Off to open a bottle of Laphroaigh. :-)

Oh, really fantastic news, so pleased for you.

Nice Sparrowhawk!

best news ever Dave! I'll raise a glass of Amarula to your and others' beers!

beautiful sparrowhawk! did it hunt? 

@DaveWilliams I am so happy for you. I'm not drinking wine at all now due to the constraints of my diet, but I will hopefully remember to drink some champagne for you after I achieve my goals. Then of course comes the hard part keeping the fat off.

Dave Williams

Well the Sparrowhawk rekindled my BY interest by returning a couple of times during the last week.

43243987245_19b93e65e2_b.jpgSparrowhawk by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and actually did me a favour by taking out one of a pair of Wood Pigeons that have become a real past. They are extremely dirty creatures I have to say, actually I'll correct that.They are regular bathers in my bird baths but they defecate in the water too.Grrrr!

Anyway, I was encouraged to take a walk to our local RSPB reserve where there were two unusual birds for the area.

29256677917_9f5896109c_b.jpgGreen Sandpiper   Tringa ochropus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Both Green and Wood Sandpipers.

29256669757_ba5642b0e7_b.jpgWood Sandpiper   Tringa glareola by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Neither count to the overall score as I saw both in The Gambia at the beginning of the year but as foreign travel is out for the time being I'll start improving my UK list!

Great news for your health @Dave Williams look forward to your continued prolific big year.

Well done Dave. Lots still out there waiting your attention.

I would like to borrow your sparrowhawk as my idiot neighbour persists in feeding Scemmy pigeons that then come with 'feedback' on my windows and sills.

Off topic but important for your future bird photography, @Dave Williams: Nikon has announced the release of 500 mm f/5.6 prime lens that weights (without foot) mere 1490 grams! With D500 at 760 gr, this is a joy to handhold at below 2,5 kilos even with foot and extra battery pack! It must be the lightweight champion at 500 mm. Even that I am owing a 200-500, this combo will find its way into our bag for sure.

Dave Williams
9 minutes ago, xelas said:

Off topic but important for your future bird photography, @Dave Williams: Nikon has announced the release of 500 mm f/5.6 prime lens that weights (without foot) mere 1490 grams! With D500 at 760 gr, this is a joy to handhold at below 2,5 kilos even with foot and extra battery pack! It must be the lightweight champion at 500 mm. Even that I am owing a 200-500, this combo will find its way into our bag for sure.

Yes I was reading about it.The thing that really impressed is how small it is too, same size as the 70-200! I'm too heavily invested in Canon unfortunately.

Peter Connan

I have a suspicion that this is one lens that Canon will have to try and emulate sooner or later.

Dave Williams

I have been unsuccessful in finding anything new so far so I'll work on my UK list with a bit of back tracking.

UK 94) Eurasian Cuckoo, here in Wales. Also seen in Estonia

43443056471_28270bcbe9_b.jpgCommon Cuckoo    Cuculus canorus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

UK 95) Common Gull, Liverpool Bay off the coast of North Wales. Also seen in Dublin Harbour,Ireland.

42512118820_98d1cb4a20_b.jpgCommon Gull   Larus canus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A first winter bird looks like this

42512122260_a187ac1645_b.jpgCommon Gull   Larus canus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Lovely shots again Dave!