Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Very nice set. Loved the Green head on the Scaup. Having problems with your numbering system.:D

Thanks for showing us how a Pochard from closer looks like, @Dave Williams. And the Teals are equally stunning. Numbering system?! 

Dave Williams

The only problem with my numbering system is that it's a lower count than yours Alex:( .......... but that can change!

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

it's a lower count than yours Alex:( .......... but that can change!

I sense last years Tortoise has been training hard to take on the Hare. Pole pole!

Excellent Eurasian sparrowhawk & lovely Bar-T godwits

Dave Williams

193) Gull-billed Tern

Time to catch up a bit! Here in Tamborim, Goa to escape the "Beast form the East" which has left the UK in it's usual chaos when bad weather hits.

38840762500_d04e95ddd7_b.jpgGull-billed Tern  Gelochelidon nilotica by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

How better to celebrate my 200 than a Kingfisher in flight shot!

The only frost in Goa is on the glass, sorry for those still in sub zero climates!

39806867065_cd96f8b67c_b.jpgKingfisher in flight by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Congratulations on reaching 200 in fine style Dave!

Well done on reaching 200, and with a lovely bird.

I imagine you will see a lot of kingfishers during your trip:)

All the way to Goa only to get the #200 before the (astronomical) winter is over ... that shows a serious commitment, @Dave Williams! The Flycatcher is nice but the Kingfisher for sure taste better :P.

Oh dear @Dave Williams

Such a responsibility and with 200 so close.

I have to say 'probably' a Yellow.

You will want my reasons?

The 'face' is too pointy. Citrines always seem to have a 'happy rounder face'. anthropomorhic I know.

Thighs are yellow. Citrine are normally white (in my book.)

My guess, FWIW, is that your bird is a first winter bird which, being March is just about to moult into true plumage. Some yellow coming through.

Great photos from Goa, Dave! That must be the longest shutter speed ever for a flight shot...

@Dave Williams

My response above was interrupted and my train of thought temporally lost.

A further distinguishing feature between Citrine and Yellow is the supercilium. That of the Yellow is the normal eye stripe but that of the Citrine invariably continues round and down behind the ear coverts to make a junction with the throat.