Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

200) House Crow

One less lifer for the trip , means I only have one now:wacko: but thanks for breaking the news gently @Galana. Birding is hard work in Goa as it get's too hot very quickly. 

40677371372_9689946767_b.jpgHouse Crow.    Corvus splendens by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Once again, congratulations for reaching 200 in fine style Dave!

:D

@Dave Williams

Congratulations 200 up after all. Sorry for the bad news but the silver lining is you can now have another celebratory Kingfisher.

Dave Williams

Cleary a case of EBC. If anyone can confirm what I think it is, I'll take it!

Flitting around in the bushes, my thoughts were Asian Brown Flycatcher which is common in Goa ( this was the only one I saw) but that grey looking head isn't quite right.

BH2I6262.jpg

BH2I6261.jpg

Dave Williams

203) Asian Palm Swift

Yes I have no shame! @Galana will love this one:lol:

BH2I5537.jpg

Love the swallows lined up on the telegraph wire

Dave Williams

204) Black-rumped Flameback

If you think my Asian Palm Swift is bad, you nearly got this one!

Fortunately on the very last evening I went out with the camera I finally got a quick glimpse of one out in the open.

BH2I6274.jpg

BH2I6595.jpg

BH2I6601.jpg

Dave Williams

205) Ashy Drongo

There were lots of Drongos flitting around and I wrongly assumed they were all Black Drongo whereas the only ones I have clear shots of are actually Ashy Drongos. The Black Drongo has a white rictal spot on it's cheek.

26940000688_49450bf3cd_b.jpgAshy Drongo  Dicrurus leucophaeus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I probably missed a trick..and a tick not paying more attention.

40767847202_5ca0cbe556_b.jpgAshy Drongo  Dicrurus leucophaeus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

207) Black-crowned Night Heron

Seen flying away some stance off but quite clearly identifiable.

BH2I5013.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@Galana will love this one:lol:

Very true! Welcome to the club. The BC Night Heron does not come close!

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

but that grey looking head isn't quite right.

I agree. Neither is the lack of white eye-ring. There is also what appears to be a small nape crest.

But a trawl through my only Indian book fails to throw up a suspect.

Good call on the Drongos and you may well have missed a  t(r)ick.

Great additions, the Wood Swallows are lovely.

Dave Williams

208) Black-headed Ibis

I found one remaining muddy pool that attracted a couple of these along with some Storks and Egrets but the minute they saw you, even at distance, they were off.

26948298388_9ef6d2fffc_b.jpgBlack-headed Ibis   Threskiornis melanocephalus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

I have already counted this one from The Gambia but here I had my best ever encounter with the species even if it kept it's distance. With vivid memories of 16 fruitless hours locked in a hide in Spain still very fresh you can't imagine how delighted I was to get this one off view in Goa. My only regret was that this was on the very first evening and I assumed I would see another which sadly I didn't, had I known I would have spent a good deal longer with the bird.

40765219452_8dcdb46c1a_b.jpgBlack-winged Kite  Elanus caeruleus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Most shots were taken in flight at around 100m away and with the sun in the wrong direction but I was still very pleased with the result. 

38997206430_9b29397a6c_b.jpgBlack-winged Kite  Elanus caeruleus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

209) Green Bee-eater

By far the most common Bee-eater I saw, possibly the most common bird even! They are everywhere but not always easy to get close to.

39923369405_d2068e7eb6_b.jpgGreen Bee-eater  Merops orientalis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

They hunt from both man made perches and overhead wires as well as from shrubs, trees and the ground.

26948681378_bf5cd42f8e_b.jpgGreen Bee-eater  Merops orientalis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

210) Blue -tailed Bee-eater.

Much larger than the Green Bee-eater as seen side by side here.

26948680998_947d112e42_b.jpgBlue-tailed  Bee-eater Merops philippinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and not too numerous either but they did appear ,more confiding, well to a point.

26948681018_d606d1afaa_b.jpgBlue-tailed  Bee-eater Merops philippinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

This one had me confused as it has the attributes of both Green and Blue-tailed !

26948680778_eb98fcdd3d_b.jpgGreen Bee-eater  Merops orientalis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

211) Bramhiny Kite

There were many Brahminy Kites around, more plentiful than the Black Kites probably. 

40109688864_8fbe87230a_b.jpgBrahminy Kite   Haliastur indus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

They are one of the most easily identified birds of prey 

25947389067_2778113b5e_b.jpgBrahminy Kite   Haliastur indus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

but only in adulthood. As juveniles , particularly in flight you can think you are seeing a different species.

25947388777_a2100c985d_b.jpgBrahminy Kite   Haliastur indus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

This one was sat on the beach , no doubt looking for dead fish washed up with the tide.

25947388877_e0ed0c469e_b.jpgBrahminy Kite   Haliastur indus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Yes I have no shame!

Khmmm ..... but your other photos more then out weights this one!

Edited by xelas

Dave Williams
5 minutes ago, xelas said:

Khmmm ..... but your other photos more then out weighs this one!

@xelas Thanks Alex, but EBC this year! I found Goa to be a bit frustrating to be honest and I'll explain why in a brief trip report later.