Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

213) Jungle Babbler

I was a bit confused when I looked at my bird guide book as the colour is too dark for Jungle Babbler

39924898235_3227282709_b.jpgJungle Babbler  Turdoides striata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Not only that but the bill looks too short too.

39924898705_6108260481_b.jpgJungle Babbler  Turdoides striata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

However, I began to realise that there was a water source close by which was out of view and hidden by a high wall behind which was a military exercise zone (and strictly off limits!) so perhaps the feathers were still damp.

40110798784_22a66ed386_b.jpgJungle Babbler  Turdoides striata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

These look a  more likely colour for the species and the noise they make is certainly as described in the book.

40110798584_91e4b10f13_b.jpgJungle Babbler  Turdoides striata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Williams

• Galana

• xelas

• Peter Connan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

293) Peregrine Falcon I would have happily swopped my photo haul for being in the canoe until this magnificent specimen came along. Peregrine Falcon   Falco peregrinus by Dave Williams, on F

294) Ring-necked Duck. I wasn't going anywhere on Sunday but sitting in bed with laptop and coffee I read that a rarity had been spotted down at the local reserve. I had to go for it. I decided I

48) Black Heron On a visit a few years ago I found the perfect place to watch the Umbrella Bird in action from a few feet away. I got some terrific views and some great shots  but then lost the l

Posted Images

Dave Williams

214) Blythe's Reed Warbler

I'm not 100% on the ID here, could be a Clamorous Warbler as it was in the right sort of location and looked big! @Galana you can tell me I'm sure.

40111293314_6557864972_b.jpgBlyth's Reed Warbler · Acrocephalus dumetorum by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Galana
3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@Galana you can tell me I'm sure.

It's no good relying on me mate. India is a place I go to for Grey Ghosts and Shere Khan and I am not the sort to stare at lbjs when the talk is of Snow Leopards or Tigers.

But FWIW I like the look of the Blythe's RW. I am still wondering on your "Flycatcher"!   Pored through my book again with limited results. Even considered Whitethoat type Sylvia. It has the hint of a prinia but for the lack of red eye.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I can't count this one as it's not in the book.... a Pheonix!

Pour quoi? It's in mine.

The list is coming along nicely.

Dave Williams

@GalanaOff to Liverpool for the match later, might snap a Liver Bird too!

Dave Williams

217) European Golden Oriole

There was a pair local to our hotel and eventually I got a snap of both.

40827449351_c3e182669b_b.jpgEurasian Golden Oriole  Oriolus oriolus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Often seen flying but getting a photo is not easy.

40827449841_50e91b896b_b.jpgEurasian Golden Oriole  Oriolus oriolus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

220) White-cheeked Barbet

This Barbet seemed to enjoy belting out it's distinctive call from the very top of a big flowering Palasa tree. The Palasa is also called "Flame of the Forest" as it drops all it's leaves when in flower ( making photography easier) and the flowers seem to attract several species of bird who presumably are after the nectar eating insects.

40787764982_5b0dd92bb3_b.jpgWhite-cheeked Barbet   Megalaima viridis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

221)Gull-billed Tern

A stunning stretch of sand on the local beach was virtually deserted of people during the week but the one time I found a mixed roost of Gulls and Terns I hadn't got my 500mm lens so the shots were mainly distant.40127530254_bfa6199832_b.jpgGull-billed Tern  Gelochelidon nilotica by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

222) Lesser Crested Tern

Amongst the  Gull-billed and Sandwich Terns I spotted one single Lesser Crested.

40836228871_9b38f2dac7_b.jpgLesser Crested Tern Thalasseus bengalensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

There might be other species in there too, possible Common and Little Terns, but I can't readily spot them if there are.

25964734057_5cb762e290_b.jpgLesser Crested Tern Thalasseus bengalensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

223) Brown-headed Gull

The majority of birds were Brown-headed Gulls with a few Slender-billed too.

25964736367_6f55e0af7d_b.jpgBrown-headed Gull Chroicocephalus brunnicephalus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Having counted the Slender-billed Gull and Sandwich Tern in The Gambia, the overall count was a slightly disappointing three additions.

40127527614_4d64aa8ce7_b.jpgBrown-headed Gull Chroicocephalus brunnicephalus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

xelas

Progressing nicely, @Dave Williams! With that pace you really do not need any ebc ;)!

Edited by xelas
Soukous

I hope my trip to India proves as fruitful as yours Mr Williams

Dave Williams

@Soukous Where are you visiting ? To be honest it was hard work birding where I was, the birds not very confiding, the tree canopy usually dense and on open ground I had no cover. I read a trip report about the same area in November/December and it's amazing what a difference a few months can make.The rice crop collected, the fields dried out, there were far less birds about when I went.

@xelas  EBC when I don't think I'll get a second chance! I have nothing booked other than in the UK after July.

Dave Williams

224) Indian Cormorant

Both the Indian and Little Cormorant are very similar and often seen together, I am reasonably sure I have separated them correctly here but open to a challenge.

26970976348_96345b4dc2_b.jpgIndian Cormorant   Phalacrocorax fuscicollis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Galana

Was the match cancelled? Dang. I was really hoping for a Liverbird.

Coming along and for somebody who was not at all hopeful of Goa you ain't done badly.

Dave Williams

@Galana I'm afraid I'm still not with it yet! When I said I was off to the match it was about 5.30 am and I thought it was Saturday which i have now discovered is not until tomorrow!! 

Dave Williams

227) Indian Pond Heron

A quick first impression and i thought " Cinnamon Bittern!" The euphoria lasted all of about 3 seconds and realisation dawned.40841873581_a269267d4e_b.jpgIndian Pond Heron    Ardeola grayii by Dave Williams, on Flickr

That coloured stripe had me hoping for a lifer. Never mind.The minute it turned sideways the dream was over!

40841872951_348f7a1922_b.jpgIndian Pond Heron    Ardeola grayii by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Galana
5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I thought it was Saturday which i have now discovered is not until tomorrow!! 

It's a tough old life innit when the days don't flow in the right order!!

In the old days we at least had church bells to tell us when Sunday was!

xelas

But then the Heron posed so nicely :). What a bummer for Reds, City is the last team I was hoping for :(:angry: ...