Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

257) Wooly-necked Stork

As many as 6 hung out in a muddy pool but walked out in to the open the minute they saw my approach so as to be ready to take off.

40226540844_f7ce0a14df_b.jpgWoolly-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

When they did fly they eventually soar almost out of sight.

40935092501_0d758ba393_b.jpgWoolly-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Not the prettiest bird around!

40226534144_3a3d71648b_b.jpgWoolly-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

but even they have hidden colour.

40226533724_a5906ababc_b.jpgWoolly-necked Stork Ciconia episcopus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

258)White-breasted Waterhen

A fairly common bird but extremely furtive as all Crakes and Rails seem to be.

Unless I find something else that ends my Goa collection...just need to study those yellow Wagtails to see if they are eastern or western now!! I exceeded my target by a couple of species which was pleasing but birding was hard work considering the terrain, the heat and the biting insects. A great venue for a holiday though and next time I'll go for longer, contact a guide perhaps or hire transport.

I'll write a brief report when I get a moment but right now I'm off out as it's sunny out there!!

40226823934_507be567ee_b.jpgWhite-breasted Waterhen   Amaurornis phoenicurus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

259) Red-breasted Merganser

Back to the local RSPB reserve and a change of scene today.

27067158068_876651c315_b.jpgRed-breasted Merganser  Mergus serrator by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Not too many species so I'll have to settle for this for today's addition.

27067157578_597205a443_b.jpgRed-breasted Merganser  Mergus serrator by Dave Williams, on Flickr

At least a bit of action to capture anyway.

26065443177_28cb717aa0_b.jpgRed-breasted Merganser  Mergus serrator by Dave Williams, on Flickr

An impressive series from Goa again, Dave, with superb flight shots of the eagle and the swallow! And the results of today's outing is not much different. I've never come close to shots of a merganser like these. Love the dynamics of the droplets.

Dave Williams

260) Rose-coloured Starling

Oops, nearly forgot one ! My final count of new birds from Goa towards my BY  now stands at 67 which is a pretty good result considering I didn't venture more than a 20 minute walk away from our hotel in any given direction for 66 of them.

40942122481_5c75109f00_b.jpgRose-coloured Starling   Pastor roseus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Peter Connan

Stunning shots again Dave! The shutter life given up for those swallows was definitely worth it!

The Wooly-necked Stork series is also stunning!

Birding in Goa was excellent, congratulations both for the quantity and for the quality!

One wonders how much time was actually spent on the sun lounger.

An excellent result from low expectations. Love the Rose-coloured Starling as a fitting finale.

Terrific Merganser set.

11 hours ago, Galana said:

One wonders how much time was actually spent on the sun lounger.

I think a short intervention by Claire is needed, to clarify this side of the trip :).

Dave Williams

@Galana @xelas and @Peter Connan Am I right in thinking your trips are starting tomorrow? Good luck all, looking forward to seeing the results.

and I spent more time on a sun bed than I have done in a long time, bet you lot don't!!

Dave Williams

261) Wren

Apparently Britain's most common breeding bird according to the internet. Another useless fact is that one Mute Swan weighs the same as 1400 Wrens.

Well you wouldn't think so looking at this photo were it's been oversized!

40958056101_9635286fc4_b.jpgEuropean by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I saw one in two different places too, this one singing from a perch in a Privet bush.

40248859864_5ce99aa74a_b.jpgEuropean by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I struggled to get a whole one though! Mind you I was hand holding my 600mm lens and the Wren wouldn't keep still either.

39148489870_454438a972_b.jpgEuropean by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

262) Grey Wagtail

They tend to be more yellow than a Yellow Wagtail from what i have seen of them!

40248854234_0107b653f7_b.jpgGrey Wagtail  Motacilla cinerea by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Mind you in stunning breeding plumage right now.

40248855644_4f09440175_b.jpgGrey Wagtail  Motacilla cinerea by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

The problem with the BY is that if we waited for our best image we would never post anything until December if we thought we could do better. The exceptions are either on trips abroad or with rarities that we are not likely to get another chance of.

I posted an out of focus shot of this little cracker earlier in the year as it was both my first ever photograph and only the second one i have ever seen. Typically I got one today that was quite a bit better although far from perfect due to a cluttered background, huge crop and poor light. Still, I'm pretty pleased with it all the same!

Thought I'd make @Galana a tad envious as he will no doubt make me over the coming week or so!i

40249155504_b8a5ef10b3_b.jpgFirecrest  Regulus ignicapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

Wow, Dave, a great collection you already have, and too many excellent shots to even try to single out the best. It's really hard to keep up with the BY this year at the pace everyone is going!

More beauties, @Dave Williams!  The Firecrest is excellent, I know how tough is even to see the bird, more so to take a decent photo of it!

I am flying out of Ljubljana next Tuesday evening, and the trip with @Peter Connan will start on Thursday early morning! I have looked back into my email box and found out that Peter's first letter about Botswana expedition was sent to me on 26th January 2017!!! How fast the year passed by.

Dave Williams

@xelas I'm sure you are going to have a great trip Alex but I'm not sure how many birds you'll get although I have only set you a low target to catch up on.Sounds to me like you are more likely to be having a boys 4x4 outing with a convoy of 10 vehicles. If that doesn't put everything to flight nothing will!!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Thought I'd make @Galana a tad envious as he will no doubt make me over the coming week or so!i

Dead right you did. Never mind the Firecrest (lovely though!!) I sat for an hour today waiting for a Wren to come out. Fail! Same with Grey Wag last week so you have two that I should have had by now.

I am a day ahead of @xelas. I leave here Monday a.m. for Gatters and a night stop. What to do there for the rest of Monday? A friend is picking me up and we may just go birding for some English birds. Or we might just go to the Pub.:o 

If I wake on time I then get aboard another plane at silly o'clock and head south by south west. I believe there are sunloungers and stuff but I am no lounger lizard and sadly I am leaving Mrs G at home. Sob!:wub:

Excellent seeing the Firecrest, and a good clear photo. We shouldn't get too greedy!

Peter Connan

@Dave Williams, that is indeed the risk with this trip. It is not wildlife-centric at all, and most of the other participants couldn't give more than one and a half hoots about birds.

But I do suspect that our knowledge of mud will be considerably improved by the time we get back!

7 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

It is not wildlife-centric at all,

I am betting the closest you will get to a bird on this trip will be a chicken dinner!

1 hour ago, Galana said:

I am betting the closest you will get to a bird on this trip will be a chicken dinner!

You bet ... and you might loose some of Laško! Birds will be around, and we will have our cameras ready! Do not have any doubts that we will bring back some stunning photos :)!

Peter Connan
2 hours ago, Galana said:

I sincerely hope so. My lens's minimum focus distance is 4m, so I can't photograph them if they are in my mouth!

:o 

Edited by Peter Connan

4 hours ago, xelas said:

nd you might loose some of Laško!

Even if you do really well it will barely diminish the van load of Lasko you owe me!:D

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I can't photograph them if they are in my mouth!

Somehow I feel we all will be relaxed about being spared that.

Have a great trip both of you. I will be thinking of you each evening in your wagon train as I lie in my comfy bed on a boat in the mangroves. Give my regards to Rawhide!