Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
3 minutes ago, xelas said:

That adder, maybe time to change your avatar, @Dave Williams?!

@xelas Not sure I like being called a snake!!!!

Good to see you and Peter back on line again

Why these beautiful animals have such a negative aura?! Indeed back we are, in one piece, at least the human part of the group ...

Peter Connan

Well, you certainly pack a mean strike @Dave Williams!

Dave Williams
22 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Well, you certainly pack a mean strike @Dave Williams!

When it comes to the BY I aim to make you all hisssssstory :D

Peter Connan

Not too difficult in my case...

:D

Dave Williams

280) Blackcap

The sun was out today for the first time in a week or two.The Blackcaps are back in the garden.

26581846287_98dd9f71ab_b.jpgBlackcap   Sylvia atricapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The brown headed female is even less confiding but she popped out for some sun briefly, unfortunately there was a dead flower head making my shot softer.

26581843447_8269499e6c_b.jpgBlackcap   Sylvia atricapilla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

281) Black Guillemot

A day trip to Dublin and back on the Stenna Superfast ferry got off to a good start with views of Black Guillemot in Holyhead harbour.

41463159102_10c78cf81f_b.jpgBlack Guillemot  Cepphus grylle by Dave Williams, on Flickr

It's not just the feet that are a delightful red either.

41463159412_5f3f680531_z.jpgBlack Guillemot  Cepphus grylle by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

282) Hooded Crow

The Hooded Crow is found in Scotland, Ireland and @Galana 's very own Isle of Man but in England and Wales it's replaced by the Carrion Crow.

41463157972_1745b60291_z.jpgHooded Crow  Corvus cornix by Dave Williams, on Flickr

This was Dublin Port and perhaps the reason they occasionally see one in Holyhead, the North Wales departure point, is that they hitch a lift like this one sat at the front of another ferry.

41463157732_c22955158f_z.jpgHooded Crow  Corvus cornix by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

283) Common Gull

When I was in Dublin harbour a month ago there were at least 400 of these gulls over wintering there but by yesterday it was down to a handful as they have departed for their breeding grounds.

41463158052_be740d1ce3_z.jpgCommon Gull  Larus canus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Common Gull by name but as far as the UK is concerned not by appearance. Certainly not in North Wales anyway so I was glad to catch one yesterday before they have all gone!

41463158492_c36fd2528c_z.jpgCommon Gull  Larus canus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams, Lovely Black Guillemot.  I am hoping to catch sight of these at St Bees Head in Cumbria next month.

Dave Williams

284) Manx Shearwater

Taken through the glass of the bridge on the ferry crossing to Dublin the "Manxies" are just returning from their winter grounds off the Brazilian coast.

41522216791_aa7070b006_b.jpgManx Shearwater   Puffinus puffinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

285) Black-legged Kittiwake

There were hundreds of these in Dublin Port harbour as well as a few well out at sea.

40809183764_a3c058f3be_b.jpgBlack-legged Kittiwake   Rissa tridactyla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

8 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

I am hoping to catch sight of these at St Bees Head in Cumbria next month.

Plenty of them over here. Just hop a boat from Heysham and head for the City of Peel.

Good to see 'our' eponymous bird is coming home too.

Interesting to see the dark bill tip on the common gull too. Not the same as @lmSA84's capture in London.

Dave Williams
11 hours ago, Galana said:

Interesting to see the dark bill tip on the common gull too. Not the same as @lmSA84's capture in London.

I presume a 1st Winter non breeder left behind as the majority have gone since last month.

Dave Williams

286) Reed Warbler

An absolutely stunning morning today so a walk around the local reserve was on the cards. I was greeted too the sounds of a newly arrived Reed Warbler which lifted the spirits. Spring might have arrived at last.

27689740938_3f498309c7_b.jpgReed Warbler    Acrocephalus scirpaceus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

287) Northern Wheatear

Apparently there has been a big fall of Wheatears across the region and there were several pairs on the reserve too.

26696787097_f6c1729438_b.jpgNorthern Wheatear   Oenanthe oenanthe by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and the female

40667249705_4dc3ce59dd_b.jpgNorthern Wheatear   Oenanthe oenanthe by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I love Reed Warblers - ours haven't arrived yet! Lovely pictures.

great going Mr Williams. blinding us all with dust

Way to go Mr Tortoise!   300 in sight.

Great photo of that beautiful Black Guillemot and a superb 'spring collection, with that Reed Warbler as my firm favourite!

Dave Williams

Thanks for the kind comments all, with my next target milestone ahead it was time for a check on postings thanks to a very Eagle Eyed @Galana

So here are my amendments!

Booted Eagle No 56 is actually a Short-toed Eagle so the duplicate at 216 stays.

Black-tailed Godwit at 178 is actually a Bar-tailed Godwit

Grey-headed Sparrow at 23 should read Northern Grey-headed Sparrow.

Turnstone/ Ruddy Turnstone at 3 and 152 is a duplicate..... -1

Blackcap at 8 and 280 is a duplicate ....-1

So my total to date actually should read 287, not 289.