Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

291)Raven

Up close they really are a big, chunky bird.We used to have a nest up a pine tree in our garden but it was abandoned after storm damage a couple of years ago and they have moved elsewhere although they still fly over on a regular basis so can't have gone too far..

41586511862_fe47feb826_b.jpgCommon Raven   Corvus corax by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

From up on my cliff top perch gazing down I was very envious of the canoeing family below who were having a close encounter with an inquisitive Grey Seal ( Seal BY No1!)

7M3A0604.jpg

Dave Williams

293) Peregrine Falcon

I would have happily swopped my photo haul for being in the canoe until this magnificent specimen came along.

40915973074_3c9d86c491_b.jpgPeregrine Falcon   Falco peregrinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A bit distant and mega crops but still I was happy with what I got even though they are far from pin sharp.

40915972514_bb91a8c8d5_b.jpgPeregrine Falcon   Falco peregrinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

A great end to a pretty good day, I went home a happy bunny to light the BBQ!

Dave Williams

294) Ring-necked Duck.

I wasn't going anywhere on Sunday but sitting in bed with laptop and coffee I read that a rarity had been spotted down at the local reserve. I had to go for it. I decided I was going to hit the 300 today!

40915961754_1c64114928_b.jpgRing-necked Duck  Aythya collaris by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

295) Little Ringed Plover

Well if the Ring-necked Duck wasn't enough I was greeted by the news a Little Ringed Plover had arrived too. An unexpected bonus as they are not a common migrant in these parts.

41586511372_d3db98194b_b.jpgLittle Ringed Plover  Charadrius dubius by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

296) Herring Gull.

These are really common and I could have added one from 1/1/2018 but I waited until now, a desperately dull day but today was the day I'd hit my mark.

41586529602_7f2b63a913_b.jpgHerring Gull  Larus fuscus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

298) Rook

Back home from the local reserve I knew where I would find some Rooks but as it happened there was just the one, and this a weird looking specimen with a dagger of a bill.

Success, I'd hit my target, or so I thought. However, a further check has seen me knock two off the total so I'm on 298.... or am I?

41586512342_260a2185d8_b.jpgRook  Corvus frugilegus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Tough call between the Seal and the Peregrine! Good time to be in Wales

Great progress and a shame you dipped short of 300 but it cannot be far off.

Nothing wrong with those Peregrine photos (remember mine from BY2017??) and two ringers. Ring-billed Duck worth getting out of bed for and Little Ringed Plover a great bonus.

I think the kid in the canoe looks as though he/she would rather see the Peregrine although Mum looks pleased to get a photo. Nice!

House and Sand Martins around. Go get em!

Another round of stunning photos and I think the Peregrine ones are amazing.

Just two steps away from hitting the #300 !! Well done, @Dave Williams; and that Peregrine Falcon is good enough for the majority of us :D.

Dave Williams

Thanks for the kind words everyone, the Peregrine shots look sharper on here than they do on Flickr, why I don't know.

michael-ibk

Another vote for the Peregrine, great photos!

Two short of of 300 already! Your Peregrine shots are amazing, also the common birds like House Sparrow and Wood Pigeon come alive when you've pointed your lens at them. Great stuff!

where do you find the time @Dave Williams?

# 300 in your sights already. Amazing 

and yes, the Peregrine shots are terrific.

all in all it's fair to say I'm jealous of your strike rate. 

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Soukous said:

where do you find the time @Dave Williams?

@SoukousRetirement is great but it comes at a price. You have limited time left so get out and enjoy it!

I hadn't a clue what I was going to do as I had no hobbies when I was working as I didn't have the time for them. I fell upon wildlife photography and have been fairly addicted ever since.

Dave Williams

299) Willow Warbler.

Out and about today to see if I could knock off a couple more species. Once again at our local reserve. 

it's amazing how the leaves on the trees have burst in to leaf in a matter of days making seeing and photographing things a lot harder.

40974770504_f7a6fe6139_b.jpgWillow Warbler  Phylloscopus trochilus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd try and hit 300 by the end of April. Silly really but there you go.

Objective achieved with 1/3 of the year gone.

My original target was 500 and I'm sticking with that no matter what. I have already been thinking that next year I won't be repeating the exercise of going for numbers but will concentrate on trying for better quality. 

Yesterday I could have chased my BY but instead opted to try for Dippers as I'd spotted a young one when out at a local garden with my o/h Claire. I returned with the camera later.

40778791865_74879edb06_b.jpgDipper   Cinclus cinclus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The young one emerged out of a hiding hole in the river bank.

40775221485_36ef8d128b_b.jpgDipper   Cinclus cinclus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and I got far more satisfaction out of spending a couple of hours waiting and watching than I did by hitting my target this morning.Lesson learnt! 

39862558410_253455aa41_b.jpgDipper   Cinclus cinclus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@Dave Williams my sincere congratulations on reaching #300 before end of April!! No doubts you will also reach #500 this year. Just for your info, The Hare is following The Tortoise very closely ;)! Only, as a true gentleman, always leaving a bit of space ...

Dave Williams
21 minutes ago, xelas said:

Just for your info, The Hare is following The Tortoise very closely ;)! Only, as a true gentleman, always leaving a bit of space ...

@xelas I have no doubt he is Alex but I'm not going to worry about it. We both have interesting opportunities over the coming months and I'm not going to go out of my way to keep ahead!