Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

My hearty congratulations on 300 up. Sorry you had to wait a couple more days but it was never in doubt.

The young Dipper is special too. Very early?

Reverting to TG. Did you never get the Snowy-crowned RChat? Check back through your photos of WC just in case you missed one.

Good luck with the target. Namibia will pull a few in.:D

I have no doubts you will do your best to show us as many great photos of birds as possible. And that is also my intention, so there will be plenty to see on these pages in next months!

Edited by xelas

Well done on reaching 300, and well done with the Dipper - beautiful!

congrats on the 300th! echoing everyone on the peregrine. 

Peter Connan

My hearty congratulations as well.

300, and then a fabulous Dipper shoot!

Thank you for all your beautiful photos. I am worried about the results of next year's effort. I think I will have to pack it in...

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd try and hit 300 by the end of April. Silly really but there you go.

Objective achieved with 1/3 of the year gone.

My original target was 500 and I'm sticking with that no matter what. I have already been thinking that next year I won't be repeating the exercise of going for numbers but will concentrate on trying for better quality. 

Congratulations on reaching 300, @Dave Williams and great shots of the Dipper ! In view of the time of the year 500 should perhaps be doable. My total birding count for a single year has never been higher than 489 (last year), let alone managing to take pictures of that many. I am really looking forward to your thread for the rest of the year. It will also be interesting next year to see what you mean by 'trying for better quality'....... ;)

Dave Williams

Thanks for the kind comments all, the most birds I have ever recorded as seeing in a single year was 400 back in 2008, the only time I have attempted a year list until getting involved with the BY thread. Then I was very much a novice birder and I think that year I had trips to Costa Rica,Goa and The Gambia and to be honest 400 was nothing remarkable, many birders would have thought it pathetic considering where I'd been!

When I look back at my two foreign trips this year, the first in The Gambia was very much about wandering locally with the exception of two guided trips I shared with a couple of birders. There was no doubt that they boosted the number of my sightings but not necessarily the image quality or the satisfaction of getting some good views. I tick one box but fail on another. My visit to Kartong was a particular instance were I took some really distant and poor shots of quite a few species but compared to my previous visit back in 2015 it was really quite poor from a photographic point of view. (take note @PeterHG!)

http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/back-to-kartong-day-10.html

Again, in Goa a few weeks later I didn't take any guided trips so the numbers remained fairly small but to make up for it I spent all my time wandering around looking for new species instead of working out how to get better shots of the ones I knew would be in certain places. 

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the challenge of trying for a target I have set myself, it does encourage me to get out more often but I'm not going to spend more money just to chase it and having done so this year, I think I need a different kind of challenge next year. I certainly will take part in the BY thread though. It's a great fun thread to be part of and I love the self depreciating humour we participate in. Great stuff, keep it up!

Congratulations on the 300, @Dave Williams.  I will be pleased when I finally make 50!!

A question for you if you don't mind.  I go to my local reserve quite a lot as it's only a few minutes down the road and I know there have been sightings of things like Cettis/Sedge/Grasshopper/Willow warblers, Reed Buntings, Whitethroats, Chiiff Chaffs etc, but how are you getting shots of them?  Do you listen out for their song/calls and then look specifically for them or are you walking slowly and scanning the trees & bushes etc. The latter has been pretty much my mode of operation so far.  Any hints and tips much appreciated.

Dave Williams

@Zim GirlI listen for their calls then hang around until they make an appearance. Weather conditions and time of year play a big part . Right now everything is singing and easier to find, once the leaves come out it's harder to see things but when it's windy like today those types of species that often appear on the top of reeds or brambles keeps under deeper cover too.

I have never managed to see or photograph a Grasshopper Warbler, and only ever had two very brief views of Cetti's.

Dave Williams

@Zim GirlI listen for their calls then hang around until they make an appearance. Weather conditions and time of year play a big part . Right now everything is singing and easier to find, once the leaves come out it's harder to see things but when it's windy like today those types of species that often appear on the top of reeds or brambles keeps under deeper cover too.

I have never managed to see or photograph a Grasshopper Warbler, and only ever had two very brief views of Cetti's.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I had a feeling it was probably the former.  Funny enough I was out in the wind this morning down by the river and saw a Dipper, 2 Grey Wagtails, a Thrush and best of all a Jay, which I actually managed to get a picture of - will post on BY later.  Thanks for the info.  So lots of incentive there to get pics of Cetti's and Grasshopper Warblers (in my dreams I think).

Apologies for interrupting your BY.

Edited by Zim Girl

Phenomenal effort @Dave Williams

Despite what you said, I also think your image quality is pretty darned good. 

As far as finding the birds is concerned, I agree completely with your tip of listening. 

I'm getting better but I really notice the difference when I'm out with a good guide who hears the calls and identifies them instantly. Then all we have to do is zero in on the sound and wait until it emerges. Hah!! did I really say that? " all we have to do is wait until it emerges" Sometimes they never do and most of the time they flit around amongst the leaves without showing themselves at all, except maybe a tail feather or a foot.

Dave Williams

301) Mandarin Duck

This non native species was introduced to the UK in the mid 18th but didn't start breeding in the wild until about 90 years ago. They are not that that common, there are a few strongholds where there are several pairs in the N.W of England but this is the first one I have seen at our local reserve here in Wales.

41742751842_b4af28b260_b.jpgMandarin Duck   Aix galericulata by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

A colourful start to the Third Century.

On 25 April 2018 at 8:07 PM, Dave Williams said:

@SoukousRetirement is great but it comes at a price. You have limited time left so get out and enjoy it!

I hadn't a clue what I was going to do as I had no hobbies when I was working as I didn't have the time for them. I fell upon wildlife photography and have been fairly addicted ever since.

@Dave Williams, can think of a thousand worse things to be addicted to. Also, we get to enjoy your photography (and your jokes..);)

The Peregrine flyby must have been so exciting, never seen one myself.

@Galana - colourful indeed, but surely the start to the fourth century?B)

10 hours ago, TonyQ said:

@Galana - colourful indeed, but surely the start to the fourth century?B)

Correct of course. I have never been able to sort out which Century I am living in either! Way too complicated for this bear with little brain.

Dave Williams

302) Black-tailed Godwit

This one replaces the previous one in my BY  which was in fact a Bar-tailed Godwit.

Didn't expect to find this pair down at our local reserve this morning but it was so cold they must have decided to call a halt to their migration north! Didn't stay long though and off they flew.

41809730331_76bb0bf870_b.jpgBlack-tailed Godwit  Limosa limosa by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

303) Sand Martin

Easier to photograph when they are perched! 

26941705827_a730038d05_b.jpgSand Martin  Riparia riparia by Dave Williams, on Flickr

again, at our local reserve early this morning.

26941706597_4f2357c258_b.jpgSand Martin  Riparia riparia by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

304) Sedge Warbler

Very vocal and this one was happy to come out in to the open.

40002648350_3198fe3349_b.jpgSedge Warbler   Acrocephalus schoenobaenus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Despite the very cold wind it was turning in to a useful early morning visit!

40002646750_4f2fb0ae06_b.jpgSedge Warbler   Acrocephalus schoenobaenus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

305) Common Swift

The stars of the show and luckily the sun came out too.There were a few dozen shooting across the reserve in the wind and made for an interesting challenge and a very full recycle bin of failed shots.

40901886105_21e2ed2b1f_b.jpgCommon Swift  Apus apus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Now that's what you'd call a big mouth and it's not chasing a dust spot on the camera sensor either!

26941502277_2a77819ca4_b.jpgCommon Swift  Apus apus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Sand Martins are very pretty, but you have done brilliantly with the Swifts.

Great photos.

I really like the 2nd Sedge Warbler. One of my favourite Warblers and the processing has brought out its real beauty.

Peter Connan

Stunning in-flight shots of the Swifts!