Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

Great Cuckoo portrait. Why do Cuckoos always look so darn surprised to be photographed?

What a stunning Cuckoo shot, Dave!

Brilliant Kingfisher shot, Dave!

Dave Williams
On 8/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, xelas said:

I can see you are back to full force again, @Dave Williams! What a beautiful photo of a great looking bird.

Not quite Alex, I have to pick my spots to reduce walking and carrying but I have definitely got my interest back!

UK 97) Sandwich Tern   also seen in The Gambia

I have left it a bit late in the year to get a fair few species but there are still Sandwich Terns to be seen flying off the local beach.

43516015395_d24b44014f_b.jpgSandwich Tern by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

UK98)Eurasian Nuthatch   also seen in Estonia.

I decided to repair my log feeder in an attempt to replicate the shots like this one that I took three years ago.

43731491984_da2422f273_b.jpgNuthatch by Dave Williams, on Flickr

The Nuthatch just doesn't want to play ball instead preferring the Squirrel proof feeders instead of my natural look log! Still. I managed just a couple of shots over the two days I have been trying and in doing so can advance my UK list!

42745058630_97219168ef_b.jpgNuthatch by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

• 2 weeks later...

363) Spotted Crake

Would you believe it, this morning it was high on my wish list, this afternoon it's been seen. A lifer and the first new bird for my BY in 3 months!

I was checking the footy scores and happened to wander on to Facebook were a report of one at our local reserve had me jumping in the car and off!

43935912995_7c75a114ef_b.jpgSpotted Crake    Porzana porzana by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Very cool Dave, congratulations! Seems to be Spotted Crake season indeed. B)

With Saturday's Spotted Crake taking my UK list to 98 I only needed a couple for the ton. Today I got them!

I went with a birding pal to Burton Mere Wetlands, an RSPB reserve on the River Dee Estuary. It's a huge marshland and the viewing is always distant and poor for photography, especially from the main hide where you look through glass, and poor quality glass too.Still, on the way there we stopped off at the local beach and had a look around but saw nothing of great note so returned to the car. That's when a Red Throated Diver flew past close to where we had been standing.Sat in the car I grabbed the camera tried taking some shots through glass and without turning it on, by the time I had the view was almost over but hey, UK No 99 and 364 for the BY.

Red-throated Diver Gavia stellata.jpg

Arriving just in time at Burton Mere before they flew

100 for the UK and 365 overall) Eurasian Spoonbill

Eurasian Spoonbill Platalea leucorodia.jpg

So my two revised targets met..100 for the UK and 365, one for everyday of the year.

I could have added Great Egret and Marsh Harrier to the UK list but they were mere dots in the distance, too embarrassed even as EBC's

I will however continue with my UK list as it's probably all I really have to go for now, I think 400 is beyond any hope.

So UK 101 also seen in Estonia is Ruff, just like the shot!

Ruff Calidris pugnax.jpg

366)Black Swan

Well we all know it shouldn't be on the list but as it's been accepted elsewhere who am I to argue!

There were two at Burton!

Black Swan Cygnus atratus.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I think 400 is beyond any hope.

And I think you are capable of surprising both yourself and us!

367) Pink-footed Goose

Now doubts about authenticity here, genuine winter residents and they are just arriving back now.

Pink-footed Goose Anser brachyrhynchus.jpg

103 for my UK list, also seen in Estonia.Goosander.

We called off at the local beach again on the way home and this was a nice addition as you don't normally one them there.

Goosander   Mergus merganser.jpg

4 minutes ago, xelas said:

And I think you are capable of surprising both yourself and us!

I have my back op in exactly 5 weeks time. 10 days in Corfu in October. I need 33 species. Can't see it happening but it would be nice!

There is always a hope out there! Among all people you should know this. Good luck Dave, both with birding and with the operation. Liv'pool will keep us both happy this year.

I agree. There is always hope. Schumacher never conceded a race until he was passed the finish line.

Tell us again on 1st January. I make that 97 days, less enforced leave of absence.Go for it and good luck..

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

366)Black Swan

Well we all know it shouldn't be on the list but as it's been accepted elsewhere who am I to argue!

There were two at Burton!

errr as I am the BY Newbie - why should it NOT be on the list, pretty please?

@Kitsafari Black Swans are a non native species and UK specimens are all considered escapees. They originate from Australasia.The purists are disparaging about counting escapees on your list as it's considered one step short of going to a wildlife park where foreign species are kept but their wings are clipped to stop them flying away.

Actually that gives me an idea of how to get to 400!