Dave Williams's 2018 Big(Photo)Year!

Dave Williams

8 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

@Kitsafari.The purists are disparaging about counting escapees on your list as it's considered one step short of going to a wildlife park where foreign species are kept but their wings are clipped to stop them flying away.

Gosh if thay were so, my singapore list would have shrunken loads!

8 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Actually that gives me an idea of how to get to 400!

Glad to hear it!

Luckily no purists here! As long as the bird is free to fly wherever is treated better it is a go on my list :).

I would moderate the free winged escapee a little. "My" personal feeling is that the free winged escapees must have established a viable colony in the wild post escape. Not sure where this puts Black Swans in Europe but there are a lot of em.

Clipped wings such as WWT and collections are a definite no no. (Or else my total this year goes up by quite a few from Germany.)

DSCN7333.JPG.691bce4833236251c6013dee166b0f92.JPG

DSCN7338.JPG.bfc3ae00a80cf5728fb4cf05cd2875c4.JPG

Only kidding with that last one.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Galana said:

Clipped wings such as WWT and collections are a definite no no.

Only kidding with that last one.:ph34r:

Amazing how you can put words in to someone's mouth!:D

Edited by Dave Williams

35 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Amazing how you can put words in to someone's mouth!:D

It's when the foot follows I worry!! I do that too often.:rolleyes:

Some good additions here, Dave and well done on the diver. Not even close to an EBC. Have a great time in Corfu and I hope you will gain a number of good species there!

Set off with high hopes of an addition to the BY in glorious sunshine but my hopes were soon dashed...twice !

The wind was quite strong on the local headland so everything was keeping low and a hoped for Dotterel was not to be anyway.

I did find a couple of Linnets and thought they were additions but I'd forgotten the one I got in Estonia so just one for my UK list today.

104)Linnet... a first winter one I think.

Linnet.jpg

Dave Williams

368)Water Rail

I didn't realise I hadn't added one this year so here goes. 

At our local reserve in the same place I saw the Spotted Crake the other day only this time I didn't have as much reach using my 500mm plus a 2x TC on a 5D4.

44308626934_a720daf9a3_b.jpgWater Rail · Rallus aquaticus copy by Dave Williams, on Flickr

It's a fair way off.

31155269418_2969e1446c_b.jpgWater Rail · Rallus aquaticus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and in more shade than the Crake was but it does demonstrate the extra 20% magnification on a 600mm is quite significant.

Dave Williams

UK 108) Little Egret   also seen in The Gambia

Just to keep my BY ticking over.  Dual BY's can be hard to keep track of hence the jump in numbers!

7M3A0691 copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

369) Scopoli's Shearwater

Not long back from a 10 day break in Corfu where the birding was as expected. Still, I managed one "lifer" and my entry as the EBC of the Year.

It's out there, you just need to look!

45380574081_9e46949987_k.jpgScopoli's Shearwater.   Calonectris diomedea) by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Yes, but what are those other birds further right?

Welcome back. Good tick!

Dave Williams
12 minutes ago, Galana said:

Yes, but what are those other birds further right?

Welcome back. Good tick!

They are waves Fred but well spotted!

If you haven't tried it here's a little fun quiz for you. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/29rmCwflfzyjwxhcmQS2KZ3/bird-or-band-quiz

I got one 15/16 which surprised me and also annoyed me as I should have got 16. I deliberated over one and decided it was a trick question.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

They are waves Fred but well spotted!

I would have claimed them as Red-billed Tropic birds.

Great quiz but flawed. I also got 15 for probably the same reason. I got everyone right but somewhere the numbers jumped with Budgie.

Dave Williams
8 hours ago, Galana said:

I would have claimed them as Red-billed Tropic birds.

Just taken another look and you are right.:ph34r: 370 it is then!!!

On 10/21/2018 at 9:32 AM, Dave Williams said:

369) Scopoli's Shearwater

Not long back from a 10 day break in Corfu where the birding was as expected. Still, I managed one "lifer" and my entry as the EBC of the Year.

It's out there, you just need to look!

Scopoli's Shearwater.   Calonectris diomedea) by Dave Williams, on Flickr

You are the master, Dave! I thought my mergansers would carry the day, but this one beats it hands-down.

Dave Williams

370) Yellow-legged Gull

There seemed to be a general lack of sea birds around the coast of Corfu.Besides the Shearwaters the odd Gull flew past, or as in this case, was perched on a rock some distance out to sea.

45490343351_4bae37d3c3_b.jpgYellow-Legged Gull by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

371)Sardinian Warbler

I spent hours trying to get a decent picture all to no avail. I found the perfect habitat but they flew from bush to bush rarely making an appearance as they disappeared in to the shrubbery whilst in flight most of the time.

I imagine when they are calling in Springtime it would be an altogether much easier proposition.

44765236404_4f963a6b76_b.jpgSardinian Warbler by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

372) Greater Flamingo

I drove to the south of the island where I'd been told there were Flamingo to be seen. Not much else as it happened but gave me a full tour of the island of Corfu and one or two hairy moments driving on their roads!

44765229254_fe4912f571_b.jpgGreater Flamingo by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

373) Greater Short-toed Lark

The Shearwater was my only 'lifer" in the sense of a first viewing of the species but my best sighting in many ways was a single Lark that I'd seen before but never got close enough to photograph.

31486554728_dd1047c1bb_b.jpgGreater Short-toed Lark  Calandrella brachydactyla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Having not had much else to play with I spent a good half hour watching this one!

30422006727_2649c542ac_b.jpgGreater Short-toed Lark  Calandrella brachydactyla by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Well done. I think you estimated getting 5? Just shows what can be achieved. 28 to go. Not impossible.

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Galana said:

Well done. I think you estimated getting 5? Just shows what can be achieved. 28 to go. Not impossible.

Yes, I was spot on when I said 1-5.

5 was my optimistic hope for and that's what I got!

Being realistic I won't hit the 400 though. Back op next week, no lifting or driving for some time so that counts me out until almost Christmas.

But, never say never!

Best wishes for the operation next week. @Thursday's Child And I will both be thinking of you, and look forward to when you are producing more great bird photos (and the odd EBC:))

Edited by TonyQ

Best of luck from me too! Fingers crossed you’re back to full health soon