PC's fifth attempt

Peter Connan

Dave Williams

Nice additions and well done on a home country ton!

A worthy #100, Peter. Hope you get lots more on your  Botswana trip!

No doubt enjoying the trek at the moment but belated congrats from me on the ton up.

I also like your explanations.

Dave Williams

Come on Peter, how long are you and Alex going to make us wait to find out how you got on!

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Dave Williams, @PeterHG and @Galana

Dave, unfortunately, you will have to wait a while longer. We arrived back yesterday, on the wrong end of a drawbar. My car's engine failed about 1700km from home, and my first priority must be to repair it, as it's not my cleanest or my prettiest car, it's my only car, and I need it to get to work...

However, pickings were fairly slim, and we probably only got about 25-30 birds between us...

Dave Williams
23 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Dave, unfortunately, you will have to wait a while longer. We arrived back yesterday, on the wrong end of a drawbar. My car's engine failed about 1700km from home, and my first priority must be to repair it, as it's not my cleanest or my prettiest car, it's my only car, and I need it to get to work...

However, pickings were fairly slim, and we probably only got about 25-30 birds between us...

That wasn't what we wanted to hear that's for sure. Other than that hope the trip was good fun until the problems occurred. Fingers crossed you are back on the road asap.

Sorry to hear about the car- I hope you are up and running soon.

michael-ibk

Sorry about that, Peter, hope you will be back on track soon!

Not the kind of news we want to hear. I do hope that  you’ll get back on the road soon!

I agree. Not the kind of trip ending anyone should have. Hope to hear better news soon.

Until then best wishes that you get the thing sorted.

Peter Connan

Thanks @PeterHG and @Galana

I must say that it was an even tougher trip than any of us had imagined. 11 vehicles took part. Of those, one returned home on a flat-bed truck, mine was towed home, two were towed to Maun and repaired there and two others needed minor repairs before returning.

At least a couple more will need some work soon.

The biggest problem was mud getting in where it shouldn't, and four vehicles had clutch problems (one was repaired quickly, the others are being or will soon need replacement), and brake pads took a hell of a beating, with a couple of vehicles using half a set of pads in 3500km.

Mine is the worst though, and the bugger is that I don't really know the what or why, as the engine is relaitively new  (only about 300 000km), and I could find no sign of foreign matter in the oil.

Anyway, the autopsy should start this weekend. 

Peter Connan

Anyway, getting back on track:

101) Yellow-billed Hornbill

Geelbekneushoringvoel Tockus leucomelas

Yellowhorn1ODP.thumb.jpg.4d3d4af8976bd028cd07839bad4ed442.jpg

Yellowhorn2ODP.thumb.jpg.9f39d8a9996428a262d051c84e1538c4.jpg

14-18 February, Timbavati

@Peter Connan - sorry to hear it re. the car. Fingers crossed it’s on the road ASAP with minimal financial penalty 

18 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

sorry to hear that @Peter Connan , I was really envious before you set off. A little less envious now. If all your vehicles found it tough going, then my old Hardbody would probably have struggled. (for those of you outside South Africa, the Hardbody is a car, not me pretending to be tough):unsure:

Peter Connan

Thanks @Soukous.

The guide's vehicle is a Hilux, and although he needed to be recovered a couple of times it did make it home, but is now having the clutch and all brake pads replaced. 

Keep in mind that the lead vehicle has the easiest life in terms of mud, as he drives through relatively clean water.

The rest of the cars were all Patrols. Interestingly, auto boxes are much better in this application as they don't have clutches...

I doubt i will will8ngly put my car through this type of abuse again.

Having said that, we saw things that relatively few people before us have seen.

Edited by Peter Connan

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

we saw things that relatively few people before us have seen.

That 's the bit we are looking forward to.

Hope the mechanical stuff works out OK.

Here is somebody I met in The Gambia  to cheer you up.^_^

DSCN3322.thumb.JPG.ac72b771455123ea22c133a6cf9c0ab2.JPG

Edited by Galana
Additional photo and text.

Peter Connan

Thanks for that kind gesture @Galana

If I can identify it, can I add it to my count?

:ph34r::D

@Peter Connan, it looks like I will start for both of us. Indeed 30 max, if more it will be a pleasant surprise. You have should put a "spoiler alert" warning ... now all the suspense is gone ... :huh:

1 minute ago, xelas said:

now all the suspense is gone ... :huh:

Not so. It is not how many or few you saw but WHAT you photographed.

@Peter Connan I am sure you can ID it. I did not count it either.

4 minutes ago, Galana said:

It is not how many or few you saw but WHAT you photographed.

I was referring more to the optional TR I have had in mind to write ...

Peter Connan

Sorry @xelas. But that TR is still mandatory, not optional...