Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

The Red-necked Falcon looks awfully familiar. Taken at Charitsaub?? Anyway, all excellent photos!

3 hours ago, xelas said:

The Red-necked Falcon looks awfully familiar. Taken at Charitsaub?? Anyway, all excellent photos!

Recognizing individual birds? Your skills are second to none :D! No, it was on a drive from Halali around Fischer’s Pan. To be more precise:

i-FnQjftc-M.png

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Recognizing individual birds?

Nope! But it was worth trying :P!

119 / Nam 101. Blue Crane. Feb. Etosha. The only one we saw, nesting near Fischer's Pan

i-Hh9rbsX-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

120 / Nam 102. Glossy Ibis. Feb. Etosha

i-NGwq2KD-XL.jpg

121 / Nam 103. Marabou Stork. Feb. Etosha. Also near Fischer's Pan. 

i-QHpwzrD-X2.jpg

122 / Nam 104. Red-breasted Swallow .Feb. Etosha. 

i-gPVsJtc-XL.jpg

123 / Nam 105. Kalahari Scrub Robin. Feb. Etosha.

i-GS39Wbh-XL.jpg

Always so impressed with your BIG shots - great Red-breasted Swallow

124 / Nam 106. Red-billed Quelea. Feb. Etosha

i-27BXPQf-XL.jpg

125 / Nam 107. Black-backed Puffback. Feb. Etosha. A striking bird, but so far I had never managed to get a clear shot on one. Until Halali ...

i-S5RD9wB-X2.jpg

127 /Nam 109. Spotted Flycatcher. Feb. Etosha. 

i-sSDkLd9-X2.jpg

127 /Nam 109. Red-knobbed Coot. Feb. Etosha. Almost forgot to take a picture...

i-S7Fg4dB-XL.jpg

128 /Nam 110. Black-necked Grebe. Feb. Etosha. The only one we saw on the trip and not too close.

i-GrdBVvS-XL.jpg

129 / Nam 111. Lilac-breasted Roller. Feb. Etosha. No trip to Africa can be complete without a picture of this beautiful Roller.

i-tFH959s-X2.jpg

130 /Nam 112. Wattled Starling. Feb. Etosha

i-NnPQ5sz-XL.jpg

Some lovely bifs. 

good pics of RN falcon ~ a cracking bird

131 / Nam 113. Black-chested Prinia. Feb. Etosha.

i-fKG4gbg-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

132 / Nam 114. Red-headed Finch. Feb Etosha. We saw these beautiful little birds several times, but only once did they give me a real photo opportunity.

i-xtrrGzQ-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

133 /Nam 115. Fork-tailed Drongo. Feb. Etosha.

i-29nxCv5-XL.jpg

134 /Nam 116. Bateleur. Feb. Mahango Game Reserve. When crossing from Namibia into Shakawe, Botswana one passes through this reserve. There's no fee if you're driving straight through, but buying a permit allows you to drive one of the loops. Well worth it.

i-pHRDsfp-XL.jpg

135 / Nam 117. Red-faced Mousebird. Feb. Etosha. The chronological order has failed me somehow.... I'll get back to Mahango later, I promise. This was at Namutoni restcamp in Etosha.

i-4t3C2Qp-XL.jpg

How to get a proper EBC shot...(tips and tricks)

Whilst enjoying our days in Kunene, I decided to try and get some more EBC shots. That is not as easy as it sounds. It takes time, experience and above all patience to set up a proper EBC photo. One often has to walk back from the subject, circling it carefully for an obscured view or wait for hours until the bird finally leaves its open perch and settles in a more heavily branched area of the tree. Back-lit preferably and its head turned away from the photographer. A little camera shake or underexposure might help, but don’t make this too obvious. The result should look unintentional and spontaneous. Frustrating at times, when all you can get is a clear, well-exposed picture, but all the more rewarding when you are successful at last.

So forgive me for being somewhat proud of this photo of a Cuckoo. Still recognizable as such (that is what a decent EBC shot is about), but very hard to tell if it is an African Cuckoo or a Common (European) one.

i-HZWNVj6-L.jpg

More about the Cuckoos:

I came across an interesting article on the differences between the two.

http://oo.adu.org.za/pdf/OO_2014_05_411-430.pdf

Based on this I would say the picture in the previous post is an African Cuckoo: clearly visible white spots on the tail feathers and (though hard to see) more yellow on the bill. This picture is somewhat clearer and looks more like a Common Cuckoo. I am including neither in the count as they are too uncertain, but it is always nice to speculate...

i-StnPdST-L.jpg

Brilliant!  Welcome to the "Friends of EBC!" @PeterHG.

A very valiant effort in demonstrating how EBC can be achieved even by Hammer chewers like us.

If it helps I think your capture is African for all the reasons you suggest, yellow on bill etc., as well as your second shot being disqualified as not being lower down to EBC standards so you must have cheated.:o.

And on top of all that is the distribution. I have sponsored radio tagged European Cuckoos through the BTO website https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

and the furthest south any have gone is Luanda in Angola.

In the true spirit of this sport I should claim it as African as you can then have another go with Europeans as they arrive back this month.;)