Peter's third attempt

TonyQ

Some great additions Peter, I really like that Kestrel shot!

Edited by TonyQ
  • Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PeterHG

• Galana

• Dave Williams

• Peter Connan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

155 / Nam 137. Pel's Fishing Owl. Feb. Drotsky's Cabins, Botswana. If I had to name one highlight of our trip (there were many..) it would be finding the Pel's Fishing Owl. It took some effort, severa

108 / Nam 90. Gabar Goshawk. Feb. Etosha  

This one was already in the count, but I came across this beautiful juvenile Pale Chanting Goshawk, which was so cooperative.  

Posted Images

Dave Williams

Me too Tony.

Nice to see the place where you got the shots too.

Soukous

Some terrific shots from Texel @PeterHG Maybe it is a place where you could organise a Safaritalk outing. :rolleyes:

PeterHG
6 hours ago, Soukous said:

Some terrific shots from Texel @PeterHG Maybe it is a place where you could organise a Safaritalk outing. :rolleyes:

Thanks @Soukous, I'll keep it in mind....:)

Zim Girl

Just catching up with your latest birds Peter, all of them are stunning but my favourite is the Short Eared Owl.  I am a real sucker for owls:)

PeterHG

251. Purple Heron. May, Utrecht. I hope to get a better one later in the year, but you never know.

i-wwH7wqt-XL.jpg

PeterHG

252. Eurasian Reed Warbler. May, Utrecht. Fortunately not nearly as rare as the Great Reed Warbler, which I haven't managed to track down this year.

i-MFzxr3T-X2.jpg

PeterHG

253. Common Whitethroat. May, Utrecht. This little guy was bravely singing away in one of the few remaining trees in a large development area of our town. It won't be there next year.

i-NSfBcg8-XL.jpg

PeterHG

254. Common Redshank. May, Utrecht. I went out cycling the other day and took my camera with me, which I hardly ever do on the bike. Unexpectedly this Redshank stayed put on the wooden gate of a meadow, even when I stopped, lifted my camera from the bag and pointed my 400mms at him. So did the Godwit form the next photo.

i-sDfP93f-X2.jpg

PeterHG

255. Black-tailed Godwit. May, Utrecht. Once this was a familiar sight in Spring but fewer return to this area each year.

i-m2tZ8vN-X2.jpg

PeterHG

256. Black Tern. May, Utrecht. Taken in one of the few areas where you can get pretty close to this beautiful tern. 

i-KfpZCCJ-X2.jpg

i-v49qLDk-X2.jpg

i-7wdchsw-X2.jpg

Well, tomorrow I'm of to the Pyrenees for a week, looking for vultures and other mountain birds and after that we'll try and visit one or two interesting sites in France. I may just come back with a few more additions..;)

michael-ibk

Have a good trip Peter, looking forward to more additions. 

TonyQ

Beautiful photos of the Black Tern

Have a great trip!

xelas

Very obliging birds you have in The Netherland, @PeterHG! Or maybe I should start using bicycle instead of car?! Anyway, I wish you a great trip to France. Be aware there are bears in the Pyrenees :o.

Dave Williams

The Black Tern shots are very enviable. Have a great time in the Pyrenees, yes there are Brown Bears..Slovenian descent too... but very few.

lmSA84

Hope you have a great time. I agree with the others - consistently excellent shots. Although not the best shot I most like the Dotterel - I haven’t had the chance to see one yet myself 

• 4 weeks later...
PeterHG

Well, I had (and still have) some catching up to do after returning from our two weeks in Spain and France. I did manage, at least to  find some additions for the thread, although I had expected to be able to get more photos. Still, we had a good time, especially in The Pyrenees. And it's been ages since I last saw this one:

258. Egyptian Vulture. June, Spanish Pyrenees.

i-ksb876D-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Wow!

Well done!

michael-ibk

Welcome back Peter, glad you had a good trip. Wow, Egyptian Vulture, awesome!

Galana

Well worth the trip alone to see this beauty.

Brings back memories. "We" had been induced to visit Mysore Palace and whilst most were admiring the replica facade (built 1912) my attention was on the ramparts where two Egyptian Vultures were busy nesting. Our tourist board guide never spoke to me again!

xelas

Stunning shot, @PeterHG! I am sure there will be more of this quality posted in future days.

elefromoz

@PeterHG, your last post #258 was terrific to see, we too were lucky in the Spanish Pyrenees a couple of years back to see "a few" Egyptian Vultures and at very close range one day. A couple of days previous, our guide had got very excited over a distant sighting, so I knew it was pretty special. You have too many beautiful shots to single out any in particular, I love the vista of the Texal reserve, wetland. What a sight, its lovely to see the Godwits showing their beautiful rusty colours, here, non-breeding I guess, they are shades of grey, still beautiful of course, but lovely to see the difference.

I am waiting patiently for the "BVIF", from your Pyrenees trip now....

PeterHG

We had rented an old cottage at the edge of a tiny village not too far from Huesca. Besides being a good base for exploring the Pyrenees, especially the Sierra de Guara national park, the immediate vicinity of the house also offered some nice birding. We could some times see vultures soaring over the valley and a nightingale sang for the whole week in some dense bushes close to our terrace. I only allowed us one brief sighting.

258. Nightingale. June, Spanish Pyrenees

i-8TJh8Vb-L.jpg

PeterHG

259. Melodious Warbler. June, Spanish Pyrenees. Another regular visitor.

i-8JqvLVV-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG