Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

Thans, @Galana, @Peter Connan and @xelas. Yes @Galana, we did have quite a storm with lots of damage and accidents. Fortunately our house withstood the wind without any problems.

08 Eurasian Goosander (Mergus merganser), Arkemheen, January 2018. Always very shy. They will probably be gone in another month or so, so now is the time to add it to this year's collection

i-MZbfqXH-XL.jpg

I could also add Mallard, Teal, and Gadwall from this picture, but I'll try and add them separately. Nice option, though...

i-7wJTJcK-XL.jpg

09 Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea), Arkemheen, January 2018. Very common, so I'd better take a picture before I forget...;)

i-2Kv745V-X2.jpg

10. Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula), Arkemheen, January 2018. Another one that may be gone by the time we return from the south. Far off, but stil easily recognizable. I had to crop severely, but here it is...

i-NrWkKm6-L.jpg

11. European Robin (Erithacus rubecula), Arkemheen, January 2018. Needs no introduction. The perch could have been better, though...

i-pCB4nh6-X2.jpg

12. Gadwall (Mareca strepera), Arkemheen, January 2018. This is the male. No one of the more colourful ducks, but it has its own elegance, I think.

i-TfMwNpm-X2.jpg

13. Eurasian wigeon (Mareca penelope), Arkemheen, January 2018. In winter large numbers are present. Their whistling call is unmistakable.

i-Ct6zH66-X2.jpg

14. Smew (Mergellus albellus), Arkemheen, January 2018. I would have preferred a shot of the spectacular male, but they stayed away too far for a photo. This female ventured a little closer, so she'll have to do.

i-DzdXxJS-XL.jpg

15. Common Gull (Larus canus), Arkemheen, January 2018

i-9W9JW55-X2.jpg

16.  Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo), Arkemheen, January 2018. Our commonest bird-of-prey.

i-h2j7k6g-X2.jpg

17. Greylag Goose (Anser anser), Arkemheen, January 2018. Too many of them in our meadows which actually hampers the breeding results of Godwits and Redshanks. I had the converter attached to the 100-400, which usually is not a good idea for flight shots, but with large birds like geese it is still fast enough.

i-w4DPBsM-X2.jpg

18. Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo), Arkemheen, January 2018. Also with the 1.4 converter.

i-3M8Fntn-X2.jpg

Really picking up some spped now!

Some really good shots here Peter. As usual, your thread is a delight to follow.

Starting quickly is the right move, @PeterHG. It reminds me there are still winter visitors in Slovenia, better to get out and start collecting them.

I agree. Some excellent results there. I need to get out too before our few winter visitors decide spring has sprung and clear off north..

Thanks @Peter Connan, @Galana, @xelas ! This is it from Holland for now. Tomorrow we’re off to Namibia, so a different set of species altogether. Judging from Galana’s recent experienceit is doubtful if I can contribute to the thread over there, but at least I’ll try and follow what’s happening in the big year. And swamp the thread with a host of Namibian additions I hope....:D

@PeterHG do not waste any of your valuable time in Namibia fighting with snail speed of their internet (but do send us an email or similar, just to know about your whereabouts :)). Enjoy Namibia, hopefully birds will be around in huge numbers and variations! Looking forward to see the difference to South African ones.

Bon voyage from me too.

Lots to see and we won't mind waiting. It will keep us in suspense.

Kunene Region will be fun so do look out for some specials.

Safe journey @PeterHG we are off on Friday to the Kruger - hope you are as lucky as we are going to be ;)

Safe and enjoyable travels Peter!

Thanks for all the good wishes and I hope you’ll have a wonderful time in the Kruger @Tdgraves; it’s a very special place! And an email to you is of course our top priority, @xelas ;)

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams

@Tdgraves I love an optimist, hope you are right!  Safe travels all. Red hot here by the pool in The Gambia, Tony should soon be posting his Gambian ticks too.

@PeterHG, fantastic BIFs, and the little Robin is just the cutest. You should be getting into the thick of it by now...

Have you counted Grey Heron twice? ~  Posts #2 & #28