Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

Dave Williams

Hooray! Welcome to the 300 club Peter. I can sense you can go a long way beyond before the year is over too!

Just one question though, where do you get the information about Italian Sparrows and White-throated Wagtails..all news to me.

Peter Connan

Oh well done! And congratulations too!

Thanks, @Dave Williams! I first noticed that on a Dutch birding site a rarity was announced: White-throated Wagtail. I has alway thought this was just another yellow wagtail, so I started looking things up. This link, for instance tells about the wagtails. I don’t remember exactly which source I used for the Italian Sparrow, but one is here. Strictly speaking not all splits are recognized by all taxonomies, so to be totally fair I should stick to one, I suppose. It’s not that I follow all the splits  ( I rarely do, in fact), but sometimes I’m curious. I’m sure this is just a phase, though, which will pass with my advancing years... ;)

Edited by PeterHG

Well done on reaching 300, and what a great bird for that magic number!

michael-ibk

Congratulations on 300 birds, well done Peter! As usual some great BIFs, and the Honey Buzzard is a verz worthy bird for that landmark, have never seen one. Interesting about the White-Throated Wagtail, was not aware of that one. @Dave Williams, the Italian Sparrow is listed as a good species in the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson,  at least in German-speaking countries that one is considered the ultimate fieldguide, don't know about the UK.

Dave Williams

@michael-ibkThe Collins Guide is considered the best here too but I'm still using the 1st edition which I have just realised is 19 years past it's publishing date! I haven't had it that long but I know the second edition is better illustrated too. I must treat myself.

Out of interest, are Pied and White now two different species too? I know most count them as such but are they officially recognised?

michael-ibk

@Dave Williams

Still subspecies in the second edition,don't know about the third.

Dave Williams

Third edition! That's news too. ( Sorry to hijack your BY Peter)

Congratulations on joining the 300+ club. I felt you must be saving up a good one and I was right.

Interesting discussion on splits too. Keep em coming. It's one way of getting to 400:rolleyes:

A beautiful eyes of a beautiful bird for a beautiful number! Congratulations, @PeterHG!

Well done on the 300. Peter.

Lovely Honey Buzzard.

Congrats on joining the exclusive club of 300! Onward and upward to 400 then!

And another belated well done on 300 from me

• 1 month later...

Well, the summer season has been very quiet (and pretty hot), so I did not really do any birding. Better times are coming up now, as the first migrants already start appearing and all the ducks are getting indistinguishable. I saw 4 storks in the meadows the other day, but did not manage to get close. I do have this one from April, though, which I omitted so far. They nested about 3 kilometres from here, right beside the motorway. They had become so rare only decades ago, so it's good to have them back in considerable numbers.

301. White Stork. Arkemheen. April 2018.

i-G5Kcrqv-X2.jpg

My little trip to the meadows the other night also produced this little bird. Out of its usual habitat, but a regular, though not common, visitor in autumn.

302. Whinchat. Arkemheen. August 2018

i-sJS2LgB-XL.jpg

There were 8 Spoonbills present, too. They have left their nesting grounds and are seen here regularly. I never tire of seeing these beautiful birds. The adult Spoonbill was followed around by two juveniles, noisily begging for food all the time. There was no rest for the poor parent and every now and then a bill was forced up its throat to get at some food. 

i-S2JfwDP-XL.jpg

i-6sj6CnZ-XL.jpg

An hour or so in a hide today produced a lot of distant Avocets and Ruff, and one sandpiper that ventured closer.

303. Common Sandpiper. Flevoland, August 2018

i-zPXkpkZ-X2.jpg

Some lovely new additions - the sandpiper was worth the wait!

love the series of the spoonbills. that's a fine detailed shot of the sandpiper. 

Dave Williams

Excellent additions Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

A quiet summer here, too. We are currently looking after my sister-in-law's little farmhouse in the east of the country and decided to go and visit the nearby hide, overlooking some tributaries of the river IJssel. In september this is a favoured spot for migrating Ospreys and sometimes even a bigger cousin.

304. White-tailed Eagle. Overijssel, sept. Well at leat the white tail is (partly) visible.....

i-DJLnKzh-L.jpg

305. Osprey. Overijssel, sept. Offering much better views than the Eagle. 

i-mb2W9Tg-XL.jpg

i-3VnSBzW-XL.jpg

i-pLWWgt7-XL.jpg

Cracking Osprey shots, the first one is more unusual too, still hasn't turned the fish!

Super Osprey shots, haven´t given up hope to still get one myself this year.

• 2 weeks later...