Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

Well, I did post the Common Kestrel one before, but it came pretty close today, so here is another one

i-ShWzRCt-X2.jpg

Great shots of the Mallard, Blackbird and Kestrel!

Some superb flight shots. The Mallard is outstanding.

Dave Williams

Exceptional Kestrel shot and the Mergansers have to be nominated for EBC of the Year but I think I can better it!

Lucky you having a partner who is interested in birding and photography. She'll love the next trip!

Thanks for the heads-up and the nomination, Dave! Looking forward to your EBC challenge; I put a lot of effort in this one. And yes, I am fortunate to have a partner who likes to join me on birding trips, we're definitely looking forward to the next one!

Love the wheat eater and chaff finch

I went on a 4 days' father-son trip to Scotland, just to take a closer look at the city of Edinburgh and spend two nights near Loch Lomond (accompanied by a steady drizzle as was fitting). No birding whatsoever, but this Hooded Crow was a new one for the year. Seeing my non-birding photography gear, it stubbornly refused to look my way, so this is what I got. We used to see them quite a lot in Holland in winter time, but that was decades ago. A few rare visitors each winter, that's all.

323. Hooded Crow. Loch Lomond, October.

i-JkxHc9H-XL.jpg

Back home the drizzle stayed with us. One species for the year I had overlooked so far was the House Sparrow, so I grabbed a shot today through the double-glazed window (with my wife's recently acquired Olympus). Now I can forget about them... And about the gloomy weather as we're off to the Gambia next Tuesday.

324. House Sparrow. Amersfoort, October

i-FX6GszH-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Gambia? Lucky you! Have fun there Peter, and go get a lot of great birds!

Dave Williams

Envious doesn't do justice!!!!! I hope you get a bumper load of new species and are not put off by the locals being a bit pushy. Keep smiling and you'll be fine.The minute you step out of the hotel you are a target and they gets a reward for leading you to a particular restaurant so if you know where you are going let them take you there anyway!  Check out the bar meal menu at the hotel too, can be very good indeed and excellent value otherwise straight opposite is the market place and a choice of 3 places. Change money next to the hotel reception and if you want a better Wifi signal than the hotel's you can buy in to his too.

I'm even thinking that maybe we could organise an ST meet up and an up river trip in 12 months time. Will be really interesting to hear your post trip thoughts!

Thank you @michael-ibk and @Dave Williams !  Yes I can understand your envy, Dave, especially since you had to cancel your Africa adventure. Thanks for your inside tips on  the area. I took the liberty of copying your Kotu info and maps from  your, blog; very useful! We are both very much looking forward to our first Gambia trip and I'll be sure to share our thoughts and photos here.

Have a great time in The Gambia - I expect you will get a lot of additions to this thread!

Have a great trip. We can confidently look forward to a boost in your score on your return.

19 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I grabbed a shot today through the double-glazed window

I must get the name of your window cleaner :D!

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm even thinking that maybe we could organise an ST meet up and an up river trip in 12 months time.

Was planning to join Peter this year so really interested in above for next year!

Edited by xelas

1 hour ago, xelas said:

I must get the name of your window cleaner :D!

You already met her ...?

Yes, @xelas, it would have been great to meet up in Gambia. We'll keep the option for a future get-together in mind!

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

You already met her ...?

Any chance you plan a return visit to Ljubljana ^_^?

21 hours ago, xelas said:

Any chance you plan a return visit to Ljubljana ^_^?

No plans at the moment, however tempting that sounds. The Netherlands are no too bad either in the spring ?

Okay, one last contribution before we depart to warmer grounds. Sunny but cold today, so I made a short walk in the nearby polder area. Iw was hoping to see the forst Goosanders or Smews, but no such luck. A Green Sandpiper, however, suddenly flew by and I managed to grab a shot through the reeds and bushes.

325. Green Sandpiper. Arkemheen, October.

i-RT3TfzC-L.jpg

Have a good trip and come back safe.

Nice Sandpiper.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! 

Excellent Sandpiper shot.