Peter's third attempt

PeterHG

341 (G16). Blue-bellied Roller. Kotu, Gambia, November. We only saw a handful and mostly too far away for a photo.

i-Zj2j7xz-L.jpg

342 (G17). Grey Kestrel. Kartong, Gambia, November. We had been looking for this one near Kunene River in Namibia, but in vain. In Gambia this was the only one we saw.

i-MT8R3LH-XL.jpg

343. (G18). Lizard Buzzard. Kartong, Gambia, November. Only a few metres from the kestrel we saw this one.

i-2pNjrCs-XL.jpg

344 (G19). Senegal Parrot. Kotu, Gambia, November. Quite common and they could mostly be heard before actually seeing them.

i-7QjzSGw-XL.jpg

i-SFpkFBW-L.jpg

345 (G20) Western Bluebill. Abuko Forest, Gambia, November. It was hot, humid and grey in Abuko and hardly a bird to be seen. This, however, was a good find by our guide.

i-cWKWNQM-XL.jpg

346 (G21).Yellow-billed Shrike. Kotu, Gambia, November. Near the sewage ponds, but seen on most days and in most other areas.

i-sC6m9pG-XL.jpg

347 (G22). Blue-breasted Kingfisher. Kotu, Gambia, November. They could usually be seen near Kotu Creek, but were certainly not as approachable as the Pied Kingfishers there.

i-Xgfs3RB-XL.jpg

i-mMbqwtQ-L.jpg

348 (G23) White-billed Buffalo-Weaver. Kartong, Gambia, November.

i-WxdLMpb-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

349 (G24). Northern Puffback. Kotu, Gambia, November. I could not get my lens to focus on the bird in time, so had to make do with this shot. A lifer all the same.

i-t8jPDbs-L.jpg

350 (G25), Bronze Mannikin. Brufut, Gambia, November.

i-jn2mr3K-XL.jpg

Great shots of the Parrot and the Kingfisher with fish!

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

In Gambia this was the only one we saw.

It only takes one when it poses that nicely!

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Quite common and they could mostly be heard before actually seeing them.

Description that you will be able to repeat with Scarlet Macaw.

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Blue-breasted Kingfisher.

It nailed the fish but you have nailed the bird and the fish!

Dave Williams

The Western Bluebill is a speciality at Abuko but not always seen by any means. Great shot! Did you find the photo hide, it overlooks a tiny pond if they have managed to fix the water supply. Only big enough for one person, made out of corrugated iron and I called it "The Cooler" as seen in "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. Didn't half get hot in the sun!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The Western Bluebill is a speciality at Abuko but not always seen by any means. Great shot! Did you find the photo hide, it overlooks a tiny pond if they have managed to fix the water supply. Only big enough for one person, made out of corrugated iron and I called it "The Cooler" as seen in "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen. Didn't half get hot in the sun!

Yes, we found it and it was still hot...! We did see the Bluebill right there, so it was a productive visit.

351 (G26). White-crowned Robin Chat. Kotu, Gambia, November. A regular guest in the hotel grounds.

i-47R6ZvH-XL.jpg

352. (G27). Western Red-billed Hornbill. Kotu, Gambia, November. Quite common.

i-fLxWL7g-XL.jpg

353 (G28). Senegal Thick-knee. Kotu, Gambia, November. Common around Kotu Creek. Often in the company of the Spur-winged Plovers, but usually a little more shy.

i-MQKnqQK-XL.jpg

i-kLGSvbd-XL.jpg

354 (G29). African Grey Woodpecker. Kotu, Gambia, November. Only seen once, from the viewing platform at the back of the Bakotu Hotel.

i-x6ZmrrJ-XL.jpg

355 (G30). Shikra. Kotu, Gambia, November. Cropped heavily as it was some distance away.

i-RBpvwt8-L.jpg

Dave Williams

Thick-knee in flight is a cracker Peter! I found a grey Woodpecker nest hole in the Senegambia Hotel gardens...did you manage to get there?

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Thick-knee in flight is a cracker Peter! I found a grey Woodpecker nest hole in the Senegambia Hotel gardens...did you manage to get there?

Thanks, Dave. No we had planned to go there of course, but the food poisoning prevented that. 

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, but glad that you still managed to do some birding. You have some great photos - I really like the Bee-eater and the Thick-knee in flight.

Another word of admiration for the flying Thick-knee!

356 (G 31). Long-tailed Glossy Starling. Kotu Gambia, November. The most common glossy starling.

i-GSSjTr8-L.jpg

i-D2VSgBk-L.jpg